Q. Do you support ASP.NET 3.5 on Windows Hosting? What is new in ASP.NET 3.5?
Ans. ASP.NET 3.5 is supported on all our Windows Hosting Servers.
New features in ASP.NET 3.5 are as follows:-
* ASP.NET AJAX support – ASP.NET 3.5 has built-in support for ASP.NET AJAX. In addition to all the features in ASP.NET AJAX 1.0, ASP.NET 3.5 now also includes support for UpdatePanels integrating with WebParts, ASP.NET AJAX integration with controls like and .
* New ListView and DataPager Controls – The new ListView control offers flexibility in how you display your data, by allowing you to have complete control over the HTML markup generated. ListViewâ€˜s template approach to representing data is designed to easily work with CSS styles, which comes in handy with the new Visual Studio 2008 designer view.
* WCF support for JSON – Using the WCF you can now build Web services that can be exposed using any number of the Internet standard protocols, such as SOAP, RSS, JSON, POX and more.
Does this affect my ASP.NET 2.0 or 1.1 site?
* No, the ASP.NET 3.5 framework builds on the 2.0 library by adding additional functionality, there are no breaking changes and it should not effect your 2.0 code at all. There is no affect on ASP.NET 1.1 either.
How do I switch my site to using the 3.5 Framework?
* The ASP.NET 3.5 framework builds on or adds to the functionality of ASP.NET 2.0. If you site is set to use ASP.NET 2.0 and the 3.5 framework is installed, you should have access to the features within ASP.NET 3.5.
How do I install ASP.NET 3.5?
* If you are a shared hosting customer it is installed on all of our servers by default. If you are on a VPS or a Dedicated Server customer you can download the ASP.NET 3.5 framework at this URL, http://www.asp.net/downloads/essential/. If you would want our admins to install it for you, we would be happy to do so, all you need to do is raise a ticket via our helpdesk and we will get ASP.NET 3.5 installed for you.