Before you prepare for data protection, it is crucial to markup the level of risk and to comprehend what data types are being protected. Depending on your organization’s IT security standards, you need to create and codify data classification levels for all of your organizational data types which can further be ranked on a scale from high to low profile based on the risk of its loss or disclosure. While there are plenty of tools available in the market for preventing data loss, it is vital to find out the best ones that use a combination of prevention and detection methods, such as a detection engine and a data blocker.
Some examples of high-risk data might include the following:
1. Your employee and customer’s names, addresses, mobile numbers, social security numbers and other identity related information.
2. The list of your customers with email address that can be used by your competitor to pose as a customer to you.
3. The intellectual property and trade secrets.
4. Confidential BPR database and other research, case studies & synopsis.
5. Financial information & marketing plans and strategy for new launching product.
Once you have classified and documented risk levels which need protection, you should start investigating the most appropriate tools that best suit to your need.
Reconnex Inc, Vontu Inc and Vericept Corp, have standards data leakage prevention tools, these companies offer hardware app that monitor outbound IP traffic as well, you may investigate more information through visiting their site.
Article by Paul Johnson, CMO, http://www.eTechSupport.net