What is gZIP compression ?
Similar to any other software that is used to compress or recompress file, gzip too does the same task, but is considered to be very effective and the results show a convincing increase in the page load time. The gZIP compression makes use of the DEFLATE algorithm alongwith the Lempel-Ziv (LZ77) and Huffman coding.
How to enable gZIP compression for your pages?
The software compresses the webpage files hence improving the overall performance of the site. There has been a remarkable decrease in the website’s load time according to the results that even Google’s webmasters have recommended it. gZIP compression is specifically recommended for heavy/large website’s.
Certain applications such as Joomla offer an internal support for compressing the webpages. If you have a Joomla based website then you can simply enable it by following the below steps
Step 1 : Go to Global Configuration
Step 2 : Then go to Server
Step 3 : There you will find an option of gZIP Page Compression, select it as ON
Step 4 : Using http://www.whatsmyip.org/http_compression/ , you can test if the compression has been applied correctly to your website.
Incase, you do not use web application which has any internal methods to enable the compression, you must add the below code to your existing PHP files :
<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER[‘HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING’], ‘gzip’)) ob_start(“ob_gzhandler”); else ob_start(); ?>
How does gZIP Work ?
When a user sends a request to your webpage, the webserver on which it is hosted would compress it (hence decreasing the page size) and then send it to the destination from where the request was originated. At the requester’s end, the page is decompressed and can be viewed as normal. The total time required for all this process is very negligible and much lesser than the time taken for transferring a large file over the world wide web under normal circumstances (ie. without gZIP).
What are the benefits of gZIP Compression?
- A significant increase in the Page Views
- Bandwidth consumption can be reduced by almost half the volume as compared to the site that does not use gZIP.
- Since your webpages are kept in a compressed form over the server, Google Bots and many other search engine bots are able to crawl and index more number of pages
- gZIP offers you to control and compress CSS and JS
Do you allow gZIP on the servers ?
Yes, gZIP is enabled on all our servers.
External References :
Latest posts by Stan (see all)
- Reselling Domain Name, An Ever Green Business Over The Internet - July 29, 2013
- 15 of Worlds Highly Popular Websites & Services Lay Their Trust On Cloud - June 10, 2013
- Build A Website Which Visitors Would Simply Love - May 27, 2013