Weaknesses of the concept of registers
The registry is not the panacea to all problems of software configuration. In particular:
* A damaged registry can render your operating system unusable, sometimes offering as the only way out of the complete reinstallation of the system.
* To manipulate the registry, the programs must use the special functions in Windows API, while a normal text file, you may be drawn with the normal functions of file manipulation. This obligation extends to users who need to access the registry using the program regedit.exe, while for the common configuration file is simply any word processing applications.
* In the INI file often contains comments to explain in what way the user can act to change the configuration of applications, the register, by contrast, does not provide comments.
* Due to the fact that the various files that make up the register are always kept open (for performance reasons) by the operating system, their backup is possible only through appropriate instruments, such as NTBACKUP.EXE.
* The partial restoration of the register is almost impossible, at least for some groups of keys, because it is not easy to extract portions of the registry from backups.
* Since each application adds something to the register if its uninstall program “forgets” to clean (in whole or in part), the log tends to grow in size with increasing number of programs that were installed in system, even if subsequently removed. A register oversized cause a general decrease in performance of the entire system.
Alternatives To Register In Other Operating Systems
The need to maintain separate configuration files is felt in other operating systems, but the approach usually involves grouping them in appropriate folders in the file system, such as the Preferences folder in Mac OS, or the folder / etc and hidden folders (i.e., those whose names begin with a dot) in the home systems like Unix. With this approach, the protection of different groups of settings relies directly to the access permissions of the file system host; also the only event capable of undermining the stability of this system is the corruption of the file system, that it would have the serious repercussions on the entire system. The division into several parts also allows users to not have to manipulate files critical to the operating system only to change the preferences of a program intervention on settings files remain so important an event uncommon.
Problems with operating systems Windows 9x and registry cleaning
On computers running Windows 9x, an installation of the operating system too may be subject dated considerable delays due to excessive size of the log, which penalizes the system performance, especially at startup, and often also causes system instability same, the frequency of this circumstance has led to the association “Register ? instability”, which is however less money for operating systems based on Windows NT. However, there are programs that can clean the registry, and one of the best is CCleaner.
Study: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The text is available under the Creative Commons
- Cloud Computing: The Concept and Examples of its Virtual Services | Part 1 - July 23, 2012
- Why Rapidly Growing Companies Need Cloud Computing | Part 1 - July 22, 2012
- Web Designing Process | Strategic Planning | Part 1 - August 7, 2011