Secure Sockets Layer, or SSL , is a protocol which is used to communicate over the internet in a secure way.
Pre-requirement to get the SSL certificate installed from the WHM
1) Dedicated IP for that domain
2) Three certificates:-
1. SSL certificate :- also knows as public key (.crt file)
2. Private Key:- also known as RSA Private Key (.key file)
3. CA bundle:-Certificate Authority Bundle(.cabundle file)
Procedure to get the SSL certificate installed from the WHM
1) First get the CSR generated from WHM -> Web SSL/TLS -> Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request
2) Then ask the client to Provide the given CSR to the Certificate Authority and get the SSL Certificate generated.
3) When the client provides us the SSL certificate and CA bundle we can install the SSL certificate from WHM -> Web SSL/TLS -> Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain.
What procedure gets executed on the server when we install the SSL certificate from the WHM
1> The files for SSL key and cabundle gets generated and stored under the path:- /usr/share/ssl/certs/
2> The private key for the domain is stored under:- /usr/share/ssl/private/
3> The virtual host entry for the domain for the SSL port :443 gets generated
What procedure gets executed on the server when we delete the SSL certificate from the WHM :
Only the virtual host entry for the domain for the SSL gets deleted
How SSL Works
1) When the site is accessed with the SSL as https://domain_name. , then client browser checks the validity of the SSL certificate of the domain . If the customer decides to trust the certificate, then the server transfers it’s SSL certificate to the client’s browser.
2) When client communicate some information to the server, that information first get encrypted using the public key and when server receives this information it gets decrypted only using the private key on the server.
Visit our website for more news, blog posts, knowledge base articles and information on our wide range of hosting services.