Backing up your server is an important task to be performed on a regular basis. By backing up your server data helps you to prevent data loss. It should be your regular job to backup your server, just like brushing your teeth.
Backup can be done using two different methods, using automated software’s and the another way is to backup manually. You need to ensure that the backups are working properly and on regular basis.
If you think or believe, that backups are not essential, check out the following points explaining, why you should always backup your dedicated server ?
- The server data may includes other users data, for example, if you are hosting reseller and hosting a couple of websites for your clients or suppose if you have a large social media website consisting sensitive information posted by its users. Such users or clients completely rely on you to keep their sensitive information safe and secured. Although, if you have informed them to backup their own data, you should also backup the server data, just in case if they forget to backup.
- Backups are Bit Costly: There are several backup hosting plans which are only a bit costly, however they can save a bunch for you. Moreover, you will have to pay for a backup server or extra backup storage device. For such data loss issues, the offsite backup hosting plans are really cost-effective which may save your business from a permanent data loss. The offsite backup hosting provides the R1Soft’s Continuous Data Protection (CDP) solution, where your server data is stored on offsite servers. Even if your original server gets crashed, you can still recover your data from the offsite servers.
- If you search a bit for server backup solution, you will get hundreds of good backup software’s for both Linux as well as Windows. Many of them will be free and easy to use, but some may be the premium softwares like R1Soft’s. Some of the web hosting control panel may have an in-built backup utility which can be used to backup your critical data.
- Though your web hosting provider says that their dedicated servers are fully secured, you should be prepared for such instances. Because, you never know, what and when something will happen. It is better to be prepared to face such issues.
- Having your backups ready also helps you in making your data migration easier. If you plan to move your data from old to a new server at the same location but on a different server, the backups will save you both time and money.
From the above points, you must have realized that why your dedicated server backups are necessary and the most important task for your business.