Windows VPS server hosting is a popular form of VPS server hosting used by businesses and individuals to make the most of the web hosting environment that Windows has to offer, and as with most VPS server hosting services you are offered full root access to your Windows VPS server so that you are able to make the configurations changes that you need and to install any applications of your choice. As you are provided with your own dedicated resources and dedicated environment you are able to do anything you wish your Windows VPS server without affecting the performance of other Windows VPS servers which are hosted on the same node as yours; however, you can be limited as to what you can use your VPS server for in several different ways. Windows VPS server hosting is the only choice for some businesses or individuals who need a Web Hosting solution for their website as Windows is the only operating system capable of supporting and running classic ASP and ASP.NET web pages which may also make use of other Microsoft technologies such as Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft Access. VPS server hosting in general can offer most websites a much needed performance boost which may be required for websites which are receiving large numbers of visitors or are resource intensive in general; in such a case you will notice that the boost in performance that your website receives will only be noticeable in how long it takes your web pages to load/be processed, and that the extent of the performance boost will depend on the specifications/power of your VPS server. If you wish to make the most of a VPS server then you could consider a fully managed Windows VPS server hosting service as this will provide you with the best results; if you want something which costs a little less but can still offer you the same resource wise, there is always unmanaged Windows VPS hosting.
Why should I consider Windows VPS hosting?
There are many different reasons why you should consider Windows VPS server hosting, the most important one of all being the fact that most Microsoft technologies will only run on the Windows operating system which means that Windows server hosting is your only choice if you have a website which makes use of certain Microsoft technologies. You will also find that Windows VPS servers are much easier to manage than their Linux counterparts, the main reason for this being that you are provided with fully administrator access via Remote Desktop to your Windows VPS server which will allow you to make the most of your Windows VPS server as it means that you can manage your server directly using the standard Windows GUI. Windows VPS server hosting are also much more dynamic than their Linux counterparts as you are able to make use of a large number of existing applications that come pre-installed with Windows; for example, if you wish to use your Windows VPS server as a web server then you can make use of the IIS web server which comes installed with Windows Server operating systems as standard. In summary, the main reasons for you to consider Windows VPS hosting include:
- Microsoft specific programs – you will find that there are certain programs produced by Microsoft which will only run on its operating systems, including but not limited to Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Access – you will find that if you are considering Windows VPS server hosting then you are most likely using such technologies within your website – you will also find that the classic ASP and ASP.NET programming languages are only compatible with Windows operating systems meaning that you will need to use Windows based web hosting services if you wish to host websites based on either of these languages
- Management – managing a Windows VPS server is much easier than managing a Linux VPS server for most people, the main reason for this being that Linux VPS servers have to be managed via SSH which means that you need to have a good knowledge of using the Linux command line as otherwise you will end up not being able to manage your server correctly, but with Windows VPS server hosting you are able to manage your server via Remote Desktop which allows you to use the morefamilar Windows GUI to manage your Windows VPS server rather than a command line
- Flexibility – there are many different programs and components for you to make use of once you have your Windows VPS server setup as Windows Server operating systems come with many features as standard which allow for you to setup your server in no time without the need for any downloads of third-party programs to ensure that your server is setup and runs correctly – examples of such software include the IIS web server which can be used to serve classic ASP and ASP.NET based web pages as well sa the Microsoft POP3/SMTP server which can be used for your email services and needs.
You will find Windows VPS server hosting much easier to use than Linux VPS hosting if you are new to the idea of VPS hosting, although it is still recommended that you have some knowledge of Windows server management prior to purchase a Windows VPS server so that you know what you are doing. Windows VPS server hosting is only recommended as a web hosting solution if you have a real need for it such as in the situation where you are using Microsoft technologies, since after all there’s no use in having a Windows server specifically for the hosting of a website which is going to function well on a much cheaper Linux VPS server. The fact that Windows Server operating systems come with certain applications pre-installed means that you can save time in setting up your server, although it is always a good idea to remove such applications if you don’t plan on using them as they could end up eating system resources.
What are the advantages of using a Windows VPS server?
There are many advantages to using a Windows VPS server, along with the advantages that you will find from using VPS server hosting in general. Windows VPS server hosting services are much more effective for the hosting of large scale classic ASP and ASP.NET based websites as you are able to install any applications of your choice, and in most cases you will find that you need to make use of third party components; as some web hosting providers won’t offer you such components, you may find that Windows VPS hosting is your only choice in some cases. You will also find that having your own dedicated resources can be beneficial with Windows hosting services as Windows as an operating system can be quite resource intensive; although the most basic Windows VPS server package will be suitable for most people, if you plan on using your VPS for a bit more then it will be a good idea to consider a higher end Windows VPS server so that you don’t experience any stability issues. However, the main advantage that brings many people over to using Windows VPS server hosting is the reliability factor; Windows shared hosting servers can be highly unreliable, and so you should seriously consider Windows VPS server hosting. In summary, the main advantages of using a Windows VPS server include:
- Hosting of large scale applications – Windows VPS hosting is recommended for the hosting of large scale applications which are based on either classic ASP or ASP.NET as with a Windows VPS server you will be able to set the permissions needed to ensure that your website or application is able to function correctly, and you will also have your own server which means that the performance of your website won’t be reliant on the performance of other websites – this also means that your hosting solution is likely to be more secure than any other forms of Windows web hosting
- Dedicated resources – having your own dedicated resources for Windows hosting is a must have these days as Windows as an operating system can be very resource intensive, but having your own dedicated resources also allows you to do a lot more with your Windows VPS server than you may be able to do with Windows shared web hosting services – if you have your own dedicated resources then you can choose which applications you run on your Windows VPS server, obviously the greater the amount of certain resources you have, the more programs you are going to be able to run on your server
- Reliability – VPS server hosting in general is much more reliable than shared web hosting, and because of the fact that Windows shared web hosting packages aren’t that reliable for a number of reasons, it is always a good idea to upgrade to using a Windows VPS server if you are finding that you are having issues with reliability on your Windows shared web hosting package – however, to make the most out of your Windows VPS server it is a good idea to take note of what you have installed and to ensure that you never install too much as you could end up overloading your Windows VPS server.
The advantages of using Windows VPS server hosting show just how it has become so popular. VPS server hosting in general has revolutionized the web hosting industry as it has allowed web hosting providers to offer a form of web hosting to bridge the gap between reseller hosting and dedicated server hosting. You will find that Windows VPS hosting will offer you a level of reliability not previously seen, the reason for this being that you will have full control over how your VPS server behaves.
Disadvantages of Using Windows VPS Server Hosting
Dependent on how you wish to use your Windows VPS server, there are also downsides to using Windows VPS server hosting. The main disadvantage to using Windows VPS hosting is that you will need to secure your own server, and a lot of work needs to be done on Windows servers to make them secure as you will find that Windows is probably the most vulnerable operating system there is when it comes to being affected by viruses and malware amongst other things which have the ability to damage Windows based computers and servers. Windows VPS servers can also be limited when it comes to stability; unlike Linux VPS servers, a Windows VPS server normally has to be rebooted each time a new application is installed on the server, and each time you reboot your Windows VPS a small amount of downtime will occur. You should also take into consideration the management aspect of Windows VPS hosting; although you can manage your server using Remote Desktop, you should know how to perform the most basic of tasks to keep your server in good order. In summary, the main disadvantages of Windows VPS server hosting include:
- Security – Windows servers can be easily hacked and infected with viruses if they aren’t protected properly, and since Windows is the most widely used operating system collectively, it is the most targeted by hackers – you should take several different measures to ensure that your Windows VPS server isn’t easily compromised by hackers, after all if your server is hacked it will be up to you to repair it and in most cases you will have to reload your server with a fresh installation of the Windows operating system to ensure that it is clear of viruses
- Stability – you will find that most applications will request that you restart your Windows server once installation has completed, and each time you reboot your Windows VPS server you will find that a small amount of downtime is caused – this is something which puts many people off Windows VPS server hosting as Linux VPS hosting is always available, and with Linux VPS hosting you won’t need to reboot your server every time an application is installed – however, at the end of the day you may find that Windows VPS server hosting is the only form of web hosting for you
- Server management – as with any form of VPS server hosting, it is always a good idea to have some previous experience of server management as otherwise you will find that you may not be able to manage your server properly, effectively leaving you with a server which is of no use to you – although you can manage your Windows VPS server using the more familiar Windows GUI via Remote Desktop, you should still be aware of how to manage different aspects of the Winows operating system in a server hosting environment so that you can use your server effectively.
You will find that the disadvantages of using Windows VPS server hosting will outweigh your need for this form of web hosting, and the likelihood is that you will need to use Windows VPS hosting for many reasons such as the need for hosting for classic ASP and ASP.NET scripts or for access to a Microsoft SQL Server database. If server management is going to be a problem for you then you can always consider fully managed Windows VPS hosting services, after all if you can’t do it then why not pay a bit extra to have someone else manage your server for you. The same can be said for the security of your Windows server, although this shouldn’t be too much of a task for most people as it only requires the basic installation of a firewall for your Windows VPS server as well as an anti-virus application to scan your server every now and then. Once you have your server setup and configured correctly, there shouldn’t be any stability issues unless you regularly update your server’s software.
In conclusion, a Windows VPS server is a good way to improve the performance of your classic ASP or ASP.NET based website, although to make the most of your Windows VPS you will need to optimize it to make best use of your dedicated resources. Although Windows VPS hosting may seem daunting for some people in terms of management and security, there will always be fully managed Windows VPS hosting services available for an extra cost which will allow you to relieve the pressures of server management onto your web hosting provider’s support team.