Some of us face the issue that our website is not accessed by us but can be accessed by our friends & customers. This could mean that the local machine IP address is blocked by the server firewall. You will not be able to access your website, cPanel, FTP, or email.
We quickly contact our support department saying “I can’t see my website” or “My website is down”.
After few preliminary checks they inform us that “your IP was blocked.”
The first question to follow is WHY?
Here is a list of various possible reasons……
• Unsuccessful login attempts: five (5) failed attempts within 300 seconds. They include
- Failed cPanel login
- Failed POP3/IMAP or webmail login
- Failed FTP/SSH login
- Failed web page login
• If there are 100+ simultaneous connections attempted from one IP
• Exceeded maximum number of simultaneous FTP connections.
• Several disconnects and reconnects in a short period of time may cause it
• IP is Temporary blocked for 10 minutes. After 3 Temporary blocks, IP is permanently blocked.
• Range of IP addresses may be manually blocked due to security reasons, in extreme situations.
Shared Servers are setup to protect themselves if they perceive a threat by blocking the IP.
Please NOTE: To Un-block your IP, you will have to contact the Support department.