Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [cPanel-News] PHP 4 End of Life announcement

Dear All,

I just got an mail from cpanel, as they have announced the End Support for PHP 4 .

Here original mail.

cPanel to End Support for PHP 4
    cPanel announces that EasyApache will no longer support PHP 4 beginning May, 2012.
    PHP 4 has not been actively developed, or supported by the PHP developers, for several years. Many CVEs reported against newer versions of PHP are also applicable in version 4, but remain unaddressed by the PHP developers.
    EasyApache will soon warn administrators that PHP 4 has reached End of Life when PHP 4 is selected. As early as EasyApache 3.12, PHP 4 will be removed from EasyApache. For an indeterminate period PHP 4 will be available as a Custom Option Module on EasyApache Custom Modules. This Custom Option Module is provided as a convenience for those who may need a longer period of time to transition away from PHP 4.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Alex Parker
    Senior System Administrator.
    Dedicated Hosting || Semi Dedicated Hosting|Disaster Recovery Solutions

EMAIL:alex @ eukhost.com
    MSN: alex @ eukhost.com

Thank you for posting this news Alex .

Comment

Glad I'm on PHP 5 now .
      David Smith
      Managing Director
      DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
      - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Me too, and early on me server

I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

Comment

Everyone should be running on 5.3.10 to be honest. There are some serious vulnerabilities in versions before that. There are some deprecated functions though so it's wise to go through the information on php.net, for example: PHP: Migrating from PHP 5.2.x to PHP 5.3.x - Manual.

Where 5.3.9 was supposed to fix CVE-2011-4885, it introduced a new vulnerability being CVE-2012-0830. To cut things short, unless you're not on 5.3.10 you're likely vulnerable for incoming DOS attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            Me too, and early on me server
            Haha . We're all sorted then .

Originally posted by THOMAS-UK View Post
            Everyone should be running on 5.3.10 to be honest. There are some serious vulnerabilities in versions before that. There are some deprecated functions though so it's wise to go through the information on php.net, for example: PHP: Migrating from PHP 5.2.x to PHP 5.3.x - Manual.

Where 5.3.9 was supposed to fix CVE-2011-4885, it introduced a new vulnerability being CVE-2012-0830. To cut things short, unless you're not on 5.3.10 you're likely vulnerable for incoming DOS attacks.
            And yes what you say is true. PHP/cPanel/WHM should always be kept up to date really (as with anything else you use on your server).

With regards to PHP, understandably some people don't like to upgrade as it can break their scripts, therefore they keep the old PHP version so they don't have to modify their scripts but in reality the time and effort required to update scripts is a lot less than the time and effort required to recover from an malicious attack.

So the moral of the story is upgrade everything .
            David Smith
            Managing Director
            DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
            - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Working...
            X