Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server6.specialservers.com - HardDrive Failure.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server6.specialservers.com - HardDrive Failure.

Dear Customers,

Server6.specialservers.com ( 147.202.46.197 ) has gone offline due to failure of harddrive and we may need to reload the OS on a new drive and copy the existing contents on the new drive. This process will take 3 - 4 hours approximately and your website hostings will remain offline during this period. We apologise for any inconvenience caused due to this downtime.

Regards,
    Technical Support Team,
    http://eukhost.com
    eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
    Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

If this is just a hard-drive failure, can you tell me why the hard drives aren't RAID'd so that you don't suffer downtime like this?
    There is no mention of any possible data loss that may have occured, it might be nice if you could reasure us of that point.

Why is it that earlier in the day when I mentioned this problem, it was fixed in a matter of minutes and I was told that "a service was restarted", it feels very much to me like you aren't telling us the whole truth about this!

The downtime and problems have lately been getting worse, I'm seriously thinking about moving my services else where.

Comment

This server is a old server that we had setup before 2 years. We didnt choose RAID option for servers at that time but all our new servers purchased in last couple of months have RAID 1. Server had some problems from start of the week and we were resolving those errors with our technical knowledge but it crashed today.

We wont loose any data as the data will be restored as it is once the new drive is setup. It is going to take couple of hours more for the restore to be completed as most of the accounts on this server have consumed more than 1 GB Space. We offer mirroring and RAID on our semi dedicated plan. If you wish to move your account to any of our new servers then you can open a ticket with our support department and we will move your website hosting without any cost for upgrade.

Comment

I must say that I have had some great tech help over the past months but I cannot afford the downtime and the strange happenings! For instance why did the time of the server change the other month by a couple of hours, Basically the difference between USA and UK? I have many MYSQL's shops etc that need to be offset to reflect UK time. This is very annoying and embarrassing to be told the time is wrong by the client!

I read the post above with some concern!

I have a reseller package on this OLD server and I have many clients relying on the service that I supply. I need the 99% uptime as advertised! If this is not possible on the OLD server then it must be moved to one that can ASAP.

I have a website hosting on another server of yours and yes I notice the difference!

Recommendation. Would it not be a good idea to send a text message to your customers when there is a problem! So that they can be prepared and be pro-active to keep their customers informed. At the end of the day ...Unhappy Customers leads to No Customers! None of us want that!

Gary

PS: The time is wrong on this forum too! 1 hour out

Comment

Um got me down as a guest?

Comment

If we had intimation of this downtime then we would have done everything possible to avoid it. We will move your account to another server but the existing server needs to come online to transfer your account. We apologise for this inconvenience but we could not make out the problem untill and unless the drive failed to function completely.

Hopefully you will get 100% uptime for coming few months which will compensate this downtime.

Comment

Definitely not the way to do business

I'm getting pretty pissed off with this myself.

I noticed that things had changed with my website hosting a couple of days ago - things that could only have changed because they were making changes to the servers.

I sent support an email and they denied they'd been doing anything.

It's pretty clear from the 'official' postings on here that they have been doing something recently ("Server had some problems from start of the week") to the server, so they COULD have told us about what they were doing - at least that might have given us a clue that things might soon go wrong. I'd have backed up some of my stuff for a start!

And it is crazy that it's been down so long. It's been way more now than the original estimate plus the extra "It's going to be a couple of hours longer". I really don't understand how it's not possible to have a very good idea of how long it's going to take - they must know how long it takes to build a server, and I'm sure any backup software tells you exactly how long it's going to take to do the restore!

Comment

Initally we tried to bring the server online with old drive and we decided to move the accounts on a new server to reduce the downtime. Efforts of our system admins in datacenter failed to bring the server online with the old drive.

It takes close to 2 hours to setup a new drive and 2 - 3 hours to restore accounts from one drive to another drive.Website Hostings will start coming online one by one from now as we have started the restore. New drive and latest version of OS will ensure that this server will never face any problems for at least next 1 year. We maintain daily and weekly backup of all our servers on 3 different backup servers which allows to convince our customers that they wont loose data more than 24 hours old.

All website hostings hosted on the server will be online in next 3 hours. Restore will progress in alphabetical order whcih will restore accounts with usernames from a - z. Those who have their usernames starting with a should see their website hostings online in less than 1 hour.

Comment

OK, guess I'll have to wait even longer then with mine starting with "w"!

What's been happening to email in the meantime? Presumably mail with have been bouncing and possibly getting lost?

Comment

Yes.

Emails are bouncing. We dont have mirroring service on shared and reseller plans. Mirroring service is offered on semi dedicated plans only.

Comment

All accounts have been successfully restored on the server. No data has been lost other than emails for last 8 hours.

Comment

Ok it's back on!

Hopefully my customers will wake up this morning in a better mood and will have not lost too much trade or credability due to the time the server was down. Some of the website hostings have affiliates so as you can imagine the problem of server downtime has an impact on hundreds of people not just our direct customers, as they will all be checking their stats and be wondering where the best part of Saturday went to!

So is the time on the server going to stay at minus 6 hours GMT or are you going to set it up as GMT. Because I need to be assured that you wont keep changing the time. In my earlier post I pointed out the problems this causes with MYSQL scripts by the changes in server time. Please can you set the time and leave it I don't care what time it is as long as it stays the same! so that I can offset all the scripts. Incase you are unaware the server before going down was minus 1 hr GMT.

Hopefully this will be the end of this servers problems. It's been a bit of a bitch for a couple of months.

As I said previously I have had some good support over the past months so hopefully this was just a one off!

Gary
                        Hub Enterprise

Comment

Pathetic

I have to concur with the majority on here. The service from EUKHost is often abysmal and I often feel that I'm being lied to or not fed the relevant information. Oh and guys, you all work in an Indian call centre. That's great, but it's insulting when you use Western names. Just use your Indian names please - they are often very beautiful and don't need pathetic translations to somehow make Western customers feel more comfortable.

EUK are a stop gap for us. When we project ourselves more seriously, we will move

Comment

Hello,

I must add to this as i feel customers should NOT get as upset with this matter yes it is a pain but computers do go wrong and i am sure everybody on here has had a computer that has failed. The better option is for you to blame us for the hard drive failure.

Before working with eUKhost i was with many hosting companies who when disks failed on a Sunday morning never bothered to get the issue resolved until late on Monday and data was also lost.

We work our hardest to ensure no downtime or loss of data but when customers respond nastly we feel upset that all the work we are putting in is just getting thrown back at us.

We experiance very little downtime on servers across our network but like i say issues do happen computers do fail. We work hard to maintain high quality services but staff get very un-happy when people complain at them when they trying their hardest to get the issues resolved.

Further more yes some staff are located in India to help out with demands due to the low cost pricing of our services the only way we can ensure high quality is having some support relocated to India some of our best staff are located there and all are highly trained professionals.

Regards

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by eukrobert
                              Hello,

I must add to this as i feel customers should NOT get as upset with this matter yes it is a pain but computers do go wrong and i am sure everybody on here has had a computer that has failed. The better option is for you to blame us for the hard drive failure.

Before working with eUKhost i was with many hosting companies who when disks failed on a Sunday morning never bothered to get the issue resolved until late on Monday and data was also lost.

We work our hardest to ensure no downtime or loss of data but when customers respond nastly we feel upset that all the work we are putting in is just getting thrown back at us.

We experiance very little downtime on servers across our network but like i say issues do happen computers do fail. We work hard to maintain high quality services but staff get very un-happy when people complain at them when they trying their hardest to get the issues resolved.

Further more yes some staff are located in India to help out with demands due to the low cost pricing of our services the only way we can ensure high quality is having some support relocated to India some of our best staff are located there and all are highly trained professionals.

Regards

Robert
                              It's not just the hard drive failure though 'Robert' is it? Also, none of us are complaining about the quality or professionalism of Indian services rather instead the use of fake names. If you use fake names it also suggests that the level of service is fake along with any discourse. Other call centres are learning this.

Can I also add, that whilst you suggest we keep our complaints relevant i.e. by concentrating on a hard drive failure, can you then understand we will do this if when you say4 hours downtime you don't mean 6 hours or 8 hours or whatever. This is insulting

Comment

Working...
                              X