Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EUKHOST - Offsite Backup Plans

Dear Customers,

Recently, there have been a few of our clients asking about our offsite data backup service. We have had these plans for quite a while now & we are glad to say it has proved to be beneficial to our customers.

Just to clear the confusions & doubts, I am listing the details here.

EUKHOST OFFSITE DATA BACKUP SERVICE

URL : http://www.eukhost.com/backup.php

There are four different plans available. The space allocations are 2GB, 5GB, 10GB & 20GB depending on the plan you want to go in for. The prices start at 12.00 Per Year for the lowest plan while the highest plan costs 80.00 per year.

All accounts are setup within 24 hours with full functionality.
    Nick
    Quality Assurance & Analysis
    EMAIL & MSN :

This service seems very good and a good price too, but I don't understand a couple of things.

When I tried to order it asked me for my domain and then said something about changing DNS nameservers. Why is this necessary? I thought this was just a backup stored elsewhere and wouldn't be 'online' as such.

If this is actually an online mirror of my website hosting doesn't that cause duplication issues?

Sorry to be a bit dense about it, but if you could clarify what it all means I'd be grateful.
    www.directoryonlinepoker.com - feedback always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Notspot View Post
      This service seems very good and a good price too, but I don't understand a couple of things.

When I tried to order it asked me for my domain and then said something about changing DNS nameservers. Why is this necessary? I thought this was just a backup stored elsewhere and wouldn't be 'online' as such.

If this is actually an online mirror of my website hosting doesn't that cause duplication issues?

Sorry to be a bit dense about it, but if you could clarify what it all means I'd be grateful.
      The domain name is being asked to link your backup plan to the existing modern bill account you have with us. This is done to have all your plans under the same billing account
      Nick
      EMAIL & MSN :

Comment

Hi All,

The link to the backup hosting account's appears to have disappeared from you site, i had to use this thread to find the link to them!

Comment

Originally posted by rickcj View Post
          Hi All,

The link to the backup hosting account's appears to have disappeared from you site, i had to use this thread to find the link to them!
          The direct link is here

On our home page if you scroll down to the bottom, you will be able to see a hyper link which says "BACKUP".
          Nick
          EMAIL & MSN :

Comment

I have a few q's about it.

Can you schedule backups with the software ? What does it back up? THe whole account or just the www ? Does it backup databases ?

If I do schedules, can I have four seperate backups . IE, week one, week two, week three, week four etc. If so when the next week comes up can it overwrite week one, then the next week two etc.

I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
              I have a few q's about it.

Can you schedule backups with the software ? What does it back up? THe whole account or just the www ? Does it backup databases ?

If I do schedules, can I have four separate backups . IE, week one, week two, week three, week four etc. If so when the next week comes up can it overwrite week one, then the next week two etc.
              Backups for Windows and Linux are scheduled to run with rSync and we can setup your backup script with all the option that you have mentioned above except having it run for every separate week. We run backups to have a copy of every week day or a separate copy for the date. In your case it will be every day of the month, e.g: it will over write the backup of 1-2-2008 with 1-3-2008 and so on..
              Martin
              Chief R & D Officer.

- -

Comment

Is there a demo of the management side we can see? Maybe some screenshots, even outside EUK if this is standard software? Can we configure backups etc ourselves any time we want? Can we select which dirs/tables to backup?

Thanks

Comment

I'm about to propose a system to one of my clients and I'm promising nightly backups as part of the package (based on the eUKHost backup offering) - I have a couple questions:

1) I'm only interested in backing up the contents of MS SQL Server DBs (the aspx pages can always be reloaded). Is this possible to do without taking the DB offline or would I need to script a DB backup job to provide a dumpfile for your backup utility (in which case is this possible with SQL Server Express?) ... or can you backup a live and attached SQL Server database?

2) I'm keen to setup a GFS backup rotation - is this possible? (wasn't sure whether Martin was saying that 2nd Jan backup gets overwritten by 3rd Jan backup or whether 1st Feb backup gets overwritten with 1st Mar backup .... I've been working with US dates and SQL Server for far too long!!!)

3) If I initially purchase the 5GB option I'm presuming that upgrading if required is easy, painless and quick? (also if I ever needed more than the 20GB option would this be possible ... although can't see that ever happening!)

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by PHyndman
                    1) I'm only interested in backing up the contents of MS SQL Server DBs (the aspx pages can always be reloaded). Is this possible to do without taking the DB offline or would I need to script a DB backup job to provide a dumpfile for your backup utility (in which case is this possible with SQL Server Express?) ... or can you backup a live and attached SQL Server database?
                    We can arrange the backup to run for one or many MSSQL database without bring the web site hosting down (however it may get a bit slow) and move them on the backup server. This is possible on any version of MSSQL server.

2) I'm keen to setup a GFS backup rotation - is this possible? (wasn't sure whether Martin was saying that 2nd Jan backup gets overwritten by 3rd Jan backup or whether 1st Feb backup gets overwritten with 1st Mar backup .... I've been working with US dates and SQL Server for far too long!!!)
                    Yes, it is very much possible to setup a GFS backup rotation.

3) If I initially purchase the 5GB option I'm presuming that upgrading if required is easy, painless and quick? (also if I ever needed more than the 20GB option would this be possible ... although can't see that ever happening!)
                    Upgrades are easy, you pay us the difference and we will increase your quota on the same account. However if you look to setup a GFS backup rotation then the space for 1GB data should be calculated as:

1x7 GB for weekdays backup.
                    1x4 GB for weekly backups
                    1x1 GB for monthly backups

Which will sum up to 12GB backup space. We can provide you backup space upto 500x4 GB
                    Martin
                    Chief R & D Officer.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by dik_ View Post
                      Is there a demo of the management side we can see? Maybe some screenshots, even outside EUK if this is standard software? Can we configure backups etc ourselves any time we want? Can we select which dirs/tables to backup?
                      Backups are manually configured using rSync. This is all handled by a script which we create as per the clients requirement. Currently we do not have any GUI application to provide a demo for. However if you can understand our scripts then you can make changes as per your need.
                      Martin
                      Chief R & D Officer.

- -

Comment

Thanks Martin - very detailed answer!

It's good to know I have that flexibility available (fortunately the client's DB only contains text and it'll be a long time before it even reaches 100MB let alone 1GB .. so while I've not sat down to calculate the space requirements the 5GB is likely to be ample to begin with ... I would probably want 6 monthly backups though).

I'll be putting the proposal to my client next week ... hopefully this will result in me purchasing a semi-dedicated server with the backup option ... watch this space!!!

Thanks again

Comment

Your "manual" scripts are not working. You moved me to a differnt backup server on Sunday 16/03/08 and since the 14th, no backups have commenced. Considering backups are an important issue I am very dissapointed. I have spoken to eUKHost on 3 separate ocasions now and its still not working.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy639 View Post
                            Your "manual" scripts are not working. You moved me to a differnt backup server on Sunday 16/03/08 and since the 14th, no backups have commenced. Considering backups are an important issue I am very dissapointed. I have spoken to eUKHost on 3 separate ocasions now and its still not working.
                            Please let me know a ticket # or your domain name to locate your account information. I will get this sorted for you as we will need to allow IP of your new account on the backup server.
                            eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
                            Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

Comment

Originally posted by eUKhost.com View Post
                              Please let me know a ticket # or your domain name to locate your account information. I will get this sorted for you as we will need to allow IP of your new account on the backup server.
                              Finally got it sorted last night, so all happy now!

Comment

Working...
                              X