Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FrontPage Extensions removed from all cPanel shared hosting servers

Dear Customers,

With great regret, eUKhost has decided to discontinue FrontPage publishing on all of our cPanel hosting servers. This is because Microsoft has discontinued FrontPage extension support for the Unix platform and we have recently observed severe intrusion attempts using FrontPage vulnerabilities. These intrusions attempts could affect every user on our shared servers and we fully expect these intrusion attempts to continue in the future.

We are aware of the fact that many of our customers rely on FrontPage publishing support and we are also aware many of these customers would not consider the FTP based publishing option within the FrontPage client itself. However, security of our servers is and always will be our top priority and we will not be able to maintain security unless we take appropriate action to address these vulnerabilities.

FrontPage publishing support is still available with our Windows Hosting plans and customers who are reluctant to change to the FTP upload option should contact our support team to get their website hostings migrated to one of our windows servers.

We are all too aware that switching to Windows is not an option for some people and we have therefore setup a new cPanel server with FrontPage extension support. Customers can request for their website hostings to be moved to this server if they so desire but in order to provide this service, we have to make you aware of several things. Our normal SLA's will not apply on this server and we will accept no responsibility for any loss of data you experience due to injections.

Customers are encouraged to maintain DAILY backups of all their data and those customers in need of backup space can view our backup plans at Remote Backup Service. This server has all of our usual security patches applied but because of the FrontPage vulnerability, we don't class this server as secure. Customers wishing to move to this server do so at their own risk.

Please contact our support team from eUKhost Helpdesk if you wish to be either moved to a Windows Server or if you wish to be moved to the new cPanel server with FrontPage extension support.
    eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
    Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

Just to be absolutely clear on this Mark, it will be ALL your cPanel servers, including VPS Hosting and dedicated?
    Gadge

Too many nice toys too little time to play with 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by 247h View Post
      Just to be absolutely clear on this Mark, it will be ALL your cPanel servers, including VPS Hosting and dedicated?
      Hello,

At this point of time. it is only for the shared servers. We will keep everyone posted on the developments.
      Nick
      Quality Assurance & Analysis
      EMAIL & MSN :

Comment

Thank you Nick and therefore I request that you change the subject of this thread to better qualify what Mark actually means ...

You guys are sometimes laughable in your sloppiness for proof-reading it seems you forgot to check your new Forum identity! Either that or I don't recognise this strange new word "Quaity"? :wink:
        Gadge

Too many nice toys too little time to play with 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by 247h View Post
          Thank you Nick and therefore I request that you change the subject of this thread to better qualify what Mark actually means ...

You guys are sometimes laughable in your sloppiness for proof-reading it seems you forgot to check your new Forum identity! Either that or I don't recognise this strange new word "Quaity"? :wink:
          it was to make everyone read what was posted. I would suggest you to remove FrontPage extensions from your Dedicated server as FrontPage extensions can be used to hack your server. You can contact our support staff and request them to remove FrontPage extensions.

Comment

Damn - this is a crying shame . I wonder what has prompted Microsoft to make such a decision?
            David Smith
            Managing Director
            DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
            - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
              Damn - this is a crying shame . I wonder what has prompted Microsoft to make such a decision?
              What prompted Microsoft to build the horrible program that Frontpage is (IMO)?

Comment

Originally posted by flesso View Post
                What prompted Microsoft to build the horrible program that Frontpage is (IMO)?
                FrontPage was a very good program, which wasn't even created by Microsoft. The core components and good feature set you see are thanks to the original developers.

But alas, Microsoft got there hands on it and played with it. A bit like GIANT Antispyware was a great spyware app that has gradually gone worse (or at least gone no better) since going to Windows Antispyware and fianlly Windows Defender.

The reason this is bad news is due to the fact the newer (and much improved) Expression Web also relies on these Frontpage Server Extensions.
                David Smith
                Managing Director
                DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
                  The reason this is bad news is due to the fact the newer (and much improved) Expression Web also relies on these Frontpage Server Extensions.
                  Well that was a clever move Microsoft didn't think about.

Comment

Frontpage sucks, and always will.

Stop trying to make obsolete old software good - because it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by WelshTom View Post
                      Frontpage sucks, and always will.

Stop trying to make obsolete old software good - because it's not.
                      But, as I said, Expression Web is not obsolete - and also relies on Frontpage extensions.

On the contrary - Expression Web is one of the newest developers tools out there. Maybe Microsoft will update EW and make EW extensions. Many people, especially beginners or people who want to get a web site hosting up and running ASAP, find this a very useful tool!
                      David Smith
                      Managing Director
                      DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

I came here because of this thread.
                        I'm using EW so I assume I should alter it from Frontpage Server Ext to just FTP.
                        Would I need to then publish the whole web site hosting again? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm afraid I fall into
                        Many people, especially beginners or people who want to get a web site hosting up and running ASAP, find this a very useful tool!
                        group.

Thanks in advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by fire13 View Post
                          I came here because of this thread.
                          I'm using EW so I assume I should alter it from Frontpage Server Ext to just FTP.
                          Would I need to then publish the whole web site hosting again? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm afraid I fall into group.

Thanks in advanced.
                          Hi,

You don't need to upload your whole website hosting again if your website hosting is already working right now. Frontpage exntensions removal will only stop you from publishing website hosting directly from frontpage, but it won't trouble your existing webpages.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I've altered my EW to just FTP but it now shows all my folders, pages etc are now unmatched....nothing on the remote website hosting. Do I just publish the whole web site hosting across & all is well or will it cause problems? Sorry can't be more precise with my question. :frown:

Comment

Originally posted by fire13 View Post
                              Thanks for the reply.

I've altered my EW to just FTP but it now shows all my folders, pages etc are now unmatched....nothing on the remote website hosting. Do I just publish the whole web site hosting across & all is well or will it cause problems? Sorry can't be more precise with my question. :frown:
                              Please let us know your domain name or open a ticket for our support team. We will get back to you with details asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X