Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloud hosting for shared/reseller hosting customers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I'll probably get crucified for saying this but....
    On my reseller account, with the problems that has been going on on the Sutherland server of late, it must be pretty close or breaching the 99.95% uptime guarantee....
    These problems have been occurring more frequently the last few months and it seems to me that if there is a uptime guarantee and the provider is struggling to keep to it, the onus should be on them to invest in their infrastructure to keep to their guarantee.
    10 for half a percentage more than I should already be guaranteed for?
    Last time I checked I was a client, not an investor.

    This and the eukhost ads that have been appearing of late in the error pages(404 etc) on my reseller account have been becoming an itch in my arschhaller......

    Standards have been slipping a bit recently, and if you are not hosted on the sutherland server, you might not know what I'm talking about.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by waynerrr View Post
      What does "cloud hosting" mean anyway?

      Cloud hosting as opposed to what? (server hosting?)

      I thought that anything in the "cloud" meant NOT ON MY COMPUTER

      sorry.... I am a novice

      But I'll have a go

      is cloud anything to do with amazon 3 Idea?

      I.e. backed up to mirrored servers all over the globe (like a node type of idea)

      so that If one server goes down then another takes over (is that RAID??)

      apologies if i'm an "idiot"
      wayne
      Hi Wayne,

      I will explain it in very simple language.

      We will make cluster a of 5 high specification servers, out of which one server will not host any website. This 5th server will always remain idle and it will maintain backup of other 4 servers using the "parity checksum" concept which is used in RAID5 or RAID6.

      If you are not aware of "parity cheksum" concept then here's a simple explanation to it :-

      if you make RAID5 of 10 drives, then you get usable space which is equivalent to capacity of 9 drives. these cloud solution is based on similar concept and the idle server always picks up when one of the 4 active servers fail.
      eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
      Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

      Comment


      • #33
        I am game for that a one off fee of a tenner isn't too bad at all, will the cost of the overall package (I am on a Gold Package) stay the same or will that increase ?
        Norwich City F C News Site

        Comment


        • #34
          Thanks for the invite, I say yes to 10, no to 25

          p.s. i'm a VPS customer.
          --
          Brad
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Add me to GoogleTalk / Skype: [email protected]

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by gordo View Post
            I am game for that a one off fee of a tenner isn't too bad at all, will the cost of the overall package (I am on a Gold Package) stay the same or will that increase ?
            Package cost will remain same. Your existing billing plan will remain as it is.
            eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
            Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

            Comment


            • #36
              100% up time - how easy is it to deliver?

              Great offer but how easy is it to deliver? Also is this the key issue for shared hosting, or is it system performance (the fear of heavy usage by the sharers).

              I am currently look for new Web Hosting.

              I am currently with fasthosts with 2 dedicated servers. The performances has decreased over the past 18 months. Is this stanard as equipment gets a 'used' feel etc.

              What tips are there to keep dedicated servers at tip top performance levels?
              IT Project Management . Need Business Protection? Top Reviewed Computer Professional Indemnity Insurance . Business Blog. Twitterpated?
              Professional Indemnity Insurance News

              Comment


              • #37
                A bit misleading in the poll question. If done wrong, cloud hosting can be a nightmare as well. It can't guarantee 100% uptime. Maybe in future when it's more seasoned, but not now. When Rackspace Cloud was Mosso, it had some serious downtime problems for quite a while. They have a private customer forum and if you have permissions to view the threads (means you have to be a customer of theirs), you can see the archive of all the complaints back then. Though it seems good enough now but there are still some speed / responsiveness problems.

                Not saying that you can't be good in cloud hosting because they can't, but cloud hosting itself can't guarantee 100% uptime, that's all.
                ,

                Comment


                • #38
                  Yep!

                  No problems here.

                  As soon as we stay with cPanel and we do not get 100% downtime before we get 100% uptime!

                  I believe it is a reasonable request and you may get a good sum towards the costs and maybe a Xmas present too


                  ....heeemmm I meant 99.9% !
                  Last edited by eUKtenant; 11-11-2009, 15:45. Reason: amending

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    ....heeemmm I meant 99.9% !

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by eben80 View Post
                      I'll probably get crucified for saying this but....
                      On my reseller account, with the problems that has been going on on the Sutherland server of late, it must be pretty close or breaching the 99.95% uptime guarantee....
                      These problems have been occurring more frequently the last few months and it seems to me that if there is a uptime guarantee and the provider is struggling to keep to it, the onus should be on them to invest in their infrastructure to keep to their guarantee.
                      10 for half a percentage more than I should already be guaranteed for?
                      Last time I checked I was a client, not an investor.

                      This and the eukhost ads that have been appearing of late in the error pages(404 etc) on my reseller account have been becoming an itch in my arschhaller......

                      Standards have been slipping a bit recently, and if you are not hosted on the sutherland server, you might not know what I'm talking about.
                      Hi Ben,

                      There are some customers who have never suffered any downtime from last 4 - 5 years. single server solution is not redundant and problem with drives, RAID or RAM sticks results in downtime for a server. Once we switch to cloud hosting solution, we will get rid of all such problems.

                      We can offer such solution to the new customers who will signup now, but investing such cost to purchase over 100 servers for existing customers will be too expensive for us. Our finance department will unnecessarily delay implementation of such solution if we ask them to invest from existing savings.
                      eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
                      Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by bsfweb View Post
                        Great offer but how easy is it to deliver? Also is this the key issue for shared hosting, or is it system performance (the fear of heavy usage by the sharers).

                        I am currently look for new Web Hosting.

                        I am currently with fasthosts with 2 dedicated servers. The performances has decreased over the past 18 months. Is this stanard as equipment gets a 'used' feel etc.

                        What tips are there to keep dedicated servers at tip top performance levels?
                        servers should be replaced every 3 years and that is what we do with all our servers. Some of our existing shared/reseller hosting servers are 2 years old and we have to migrate them. If we migrate those in cloud then future hardware replacement will become quite comfortable for us. We will just need to remove one server at a time and add a new server in its place and do so till we replace all 5 servers from that particular cloud.

                        You are most welcome to PM me for further discussion.
                        eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
                        Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by bsfweb View Post
                          Great offer but how easy is it to deliver? Also is this the key issue for shared hosting, or is it system performance (the fear of heavy usage by the sharers).

                          I am currently look for new Web Hosting.

                          I am currently with fasthosts with 2 dedicated servers. The performances has decreased over the past 18 months. Is this stanard as equipment gets a 'used' feel etc.

                          What tips are there to keep dedicated servers at tip top performance levels?
                          All our Dedicated Servers are fully managed and monitored 24x7. You may check our server management overview at:-

                          1. UK Linux Dedicated Server Management
                          2. UK Windows Dedicated Server Management

                          Moreover, We use branded servers from Dell and the difference seen in level of performance of these servers has been appreciated by all of our dedicated server clients. We have many customers who've had absolutely no problems with their Dedicated Servers ( Dell ) from last 2 - 3 years and they've hardly opened any tickets for technical support.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            If I thought 10 actually would guarantee uptime, I'd pay it. The problem is that you guys define uptime as the light on the front of the server being on, regardless of whether the services on the box are running or not. Then there's the issues with unannounced config changes that screw-up sites... Technically, the server is 100% up, but our customers don't feel the same. Again, if I thought 10 would stop that, I'd pay it...

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by immediate View Post
                              A bit misleading in the poll question. If done wrong, cloud hosting can be a nightmare as well. It can't guarantee 100% uptime. Maybe in future when it's more seasoned, but not now. When Rackspace Cloud was Mosso, it had some serious downtime problems for quite a while. They have a private customer forum and if you have permissions to view the threads (means you have to be a customer of theirs), you can see the archive of all the complaints back then. Though it seems good enough now but there are still some speed / responsiveness problems.

                              Not saying that you can't be good in cloud hosting because they can't, but cloud hosting itself can't guarantee 100% uptime, that's all.
                              I would suggest you to read these 2 threads :-

                              http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f29/wo...loud-vps-9088/

                              http://www.eukhost.com/forums/f11/cloud-accounts-9317/

                              I had clearly mentioned in my posts about these Cloud buzz created by other hosts. They tried to fool customers when there was no redundancy in technology provided by any of the cloud computing softwares. We have worked hard to find a perfect solution for 100% uptime.
                              eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
                              Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                What's the deal if there isn't 100% uptime?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X