Do you agree with this?......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you agree with this?......

I came across this and think it raises an interesting point about usefulness and fame:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dennis_ritchie_vs_steve_jobs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	160391

Click image for larger version

Name:	733792_395112093920778_128514353_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	160392

What do you all think?

PS. I am not trying to start a discussion on the merits of Steve Jobs, especially as the discussion will always go the same way: Fanboys will defend, Apple haters will attack and everyone else stopped caring a long time ago :P
    Interesting, let me think on this....... to the think tank!

Re: Do you agree with this?......

I don't really think Steve deserves the title "visionary" and I find it a little silly Apple brand him like he has done Gods work. He was very good at running Apple and working with others to create what are arguably good products. There is certainly a lot of sensationalism around Steve Jobs but that's to be expected. He ran a company that has the strongest brand with consumers - and a culture with customers that really isn't seen anywhere else - and hopefully never again.

You can hardly blame who is talked about the most because that is a choice the media make. Evidently, a story about Steve Jobs will get more copies sold than about Dennis Ritchie. It's quite simple really.

Some people do need an intervention though because some people are so engrossed in Apple it's unhealthy. I don't really like Apple's keynotes because to me they look sensational and fake. I'm not saying I don't like Apple - I own Apple products and I like using them - but I don't like how happylarry and sensational they are.

These are just my own personal opinions .

Comment

Steve Jobs in himself was an Apple product IMHO. He was part of the whole package of why people paid high prices for avg hardware and some pretty bad software. Without each other they werent much.

It comes as no surprise that people class him as a God, we live in a world where people dont care about real life because American Idol or Big Brother is on.

I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        Steve Jobs in himself was an Apple product IMHO. He was part of the whole package of why people paid high prices for avg hardware and some pretty bad software. Without each other they werent much.

It comes as no surprise that people class him as a God, we live in a world where people dont care about real life because American Idol or Big Brother is on.
        I don't agree that Apple's hardware is extremely overpriced. Yes, it's expensive and yes you can clearly see where they can reduce their prices more than they do - but relatively speaking - I don't think Apple's products are overpriced too much. If you look at competing products in the "class" that Apple's products are (Ultrabooks for example), sometimes Apple's offering is a little cheaper which is a bit surprising.

Regarding bad software, I don't know. I've had more problems with Windows and Linux than I ever have had with Mac OS X. I've only had Mac OS X crash on me once and that was probably 4 years ago. I'm not defending anyone saying this, but I am a realist. Apple's products aren't bad and to me, they aren't "offensively" overpriced. They're expensive, and they know they can offer some of their products cheaper I think - but it would be silly to say their products aren't "good" products if you used them for a bit. They may not be right for you - like one phone might not be right for one person but right for another - but it's fair to say it's still a good product.

We indeed live in a world where reality TV shows and the latest celebrity news is more important to some people than themselves. It's quite sad really, isn't it?

Comment

Compare prices of AppleTV to Roku, the iPods are nothing special and similar standard products are cheaper. Its all about the iProduct.

Their OS's are OK to use (you know I am open on that with being a Linux user anyway) but their main sofware, the media player they have(Had, not sure if they still use the video player. I havent installed it in years), iTunes is nothing short of an invasive virus. Install it on windows and see it take control and install crap you dont need. I use a 300kb standalone program to manage my iPod and occasionally Winamp.

Its extremely sad. All I can say I am glad I was born in the 80s and not 2050 because if we are this bad now I imagine the world will be a horrible place by then!

I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

Comment

Ok I think this has already gone off topic, a conversation about Apple was not the aim here

It was more to think how can someone who did so much be more or less ignored and yet someone who contributed very little in comparison receive so much attention from the media.
            Interesting, let me think on this....... to the think tank!

Comment

Working...
            X