Grand Theft Auto To Blame For UK Riots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Theft Auto To Blame For UK Riots?

Taken from my website DPS Computing - Your Ultimate Computing Website! (and written by myself of course!)
    Direct link to article - GTA To Blame For UK Riots? | DPS Computing

A British tabloid newspaper, the Evening Standard, has suggested that the UK riots may have originated from the “evil effects” of games such as Rockstars hit Grand Theft Auto. The Evening Standard made these claims after a local police man stated that games such as Grand Theft Auto encourage and fueled the recent violence.

The police officer stated “These are bad people who did this. Kids out of control. When I was young it was all Pacman and board games. Now they’re playing Grand Theft Auto and want to live it for themselves,”.

The isn’t the first time that Grand Theft Auto has been in the news surrounded by controversy. Many people have claimed that the British Classification Board should refuse to certify the game, therefore making it illegal in the UK. Games, such as GTA, have been blamed in the past for poor behavior of the younger generation and for encouraging gratuitous violence and criminality.

Grand Theft Auto, known by fans as GTA, is set in cities in the USA but the game itself was originally created in the UK. The original game featured an expansion pack which was set in London.

Comments:

Personally, it amuses me now that everything since the late 90s has been blamed on Grand Theft Auto. Everything from yobs robbing old grannies to now people rioting en masse. I mean really, are they really trying to claim that there was no violence before GTA? And if people are that stupid that they think emulating a fictional game is a good idea and fun then they should be locked away somewhere where they cannot harm society.

Maybe they should introduce IQ tests for games over 12 certification? Or maybe stronger penalties in our justice system will help deter certain people in society trying to recreate their GTA life in the real world.

My belief is that the rioters we're criminals and whether they played GTA or not (which has by no means been proved) is irrelevant.
    David Smith
    Managing Director
    DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
    - New Site (10/2009)

What theoretical rubbish. Who at 19, 20 and 21 wants to do it because they played some petty game like GTA with a bit of cartoon violence. Guess the government will censor playing that during civil unrest too? .

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
      What theoretical rubbish. Who at 19, 20 and 21 wants to do it because they played some petty game like GTA with a bit of cartoon violence. Guess the government will censor playing that during civil unrest too? .
      I wouldn't put it past them! I know, it does get boring how the government and news agencies rehash this story. They've just got a prewritten article sitting in a vault somewhere that says GTA to blame for <insert recent incident here> I think .
      David Smith
      Managing Director
      DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
        I wouldn't put it past them! I know, it does get boring how the government and news agencies rehash this story. They've just got a prewritten article sitting in a vault somewhere that says GTA to blame for <insert recent incident here> I think .
        In fact a tech blog had a prewritten article about Steve Jobs' death in case it happens so they have a big story in seconds . Not very good is it .

Comment

In fact a tech blog had a prewritten article about Steve Jobs' death in case it happens so they have a big story in seconds . Not very good is it .
          Not at all!

And on that note - does everybody remember the CNN obituaries gaff? (CNN Chagrined Over Premature Obits - CBS News).

I mean somebody must have got in deep doo doo for prematurely announcing the deaths of Reagan, Hope, Fidel Castro, Pope John Paul II, Nelson Mandela, Gerald Ford and Dick Cheney lol . All done so they could have a story within seconds of it happening.
          David Smith
          Managing Director
          DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
            Not at all!

And on that note - does everybody remember the CNN obituaries gaff? (CNN Chagrined Over Premature Obits - CBS News).

I mean somebody must have got in deep doo doo for prematurely announcing the deaths of Reagan, Hope, Fidel Castro, Pope John Paul II, Nelson Mandela, Gerald Ford and Dick Cheney lol . All done so they could have a story within seconds of it happening.
            Yep . All $$$$ at the end of the day .

Comment

Yep . All $$$$ at the end of the day .
              I'm trying to think of other news stories that keep getting dug up depending on recent events...... Hmmmm, I'm sure one will come to me soon.
              David Smith
              Managing Director
              DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Working...
              X