The Unfortunate Truth About Life, Fire and Charred Laptops :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Unfortunate Truth About Life, Fire and Charred Laptops :-(

As many of you will have noticed - I haven't been on here for a while.

The reason for this was a fire at my flat which unfortunately gutted the flat, killed all my cats and nearly killed me while I was sleeping. If a friend hadn't have rung me, I wouldn't have woke up .

In temporary accomodation at the moment but have to visit friends at the mo for a computer and internet access so a new laptop to replace my newly charred laptop would be good .

Unfortunately as well to add insult to injury, I find out my house insurance ran out 2 months ago - after 4 years of having it and after 30,000 worth of property went up in smoke.

So, if anybody takes anything from this I want it to be the following:

1) Always have a smoke alarm.
    2) Check your house insurance.
    3) Pray to God it never happens to you!
    David Smith
    Managing Director
    DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
    - New Site (10/2009)

Holy moly, I'm sorry to hear that! I do hope that you find some permenant accommodation soon. I suppose it must feel scary knowing that you were close to death like that?

I always make sure everythings off before I go out, I'm very much aware about the heat from computers and everything which can easily cause a fire. Do you know what caused the fire in your flat?

Sorry about your cats as well. My thoughts are with you at what must be a difficult time.

Comment

Cheers Josh - yep, is extremely scary - doesn't bare thinking about, God must have been looking down on me at least in some ways that day!

Everything was off but unfortunately the actual wiring of the flat caused a fire - a problem which the landlord had promised to solve by replacing the 30 year old out of date electrics on numerous occasions - the most recent dating back to two years ago.

Thanks, I miss having them around now, it doesn't seem the same - but getting another one seems too soon and of course they will never be replaced - but they may eventually gain a brother or sister hopefully .
      David Smith
      Managing Director
      DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
        Cheers Josh - yep, is extremely scary - doesn't bare thinking about, God must have been looking down on me at least in some ways that day!

Everything was off but unfortunately the actual wiring of the flat caused a fire - a problem which the landlord had promised to solve by replacing the 30 year old out of date electrics on numerous occasions - the most recent dating back to two years ago.

Thanks, I miss having them around now, it doesn't seem the same - but getting another one seems too soon and of course they will never be replaced - but they may eventually gain a brother or sister hopefully .
        Dodgy electrics, maybe grounds for legal action?? Was anyone else hurt in the fire?

Comment

Originally posted by flesso View Post
          Dodgy electrics, maybe grounds for legal action?? Was anyone else hurt in the fire?
          Probably - but at least grounds for civil action to get my stuff back! - Not physically apart from me, but obviously the mental strain and shock for the other people staying there is a factor.
          David Smith
          Managing Director
          DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Originally posted by DPS Computing View Post
            Probably - but at least grounds for civil action to get my stuff back! - Not physically apart from me, but obviously the mental strain and shock for the other people staying there is a factor.
            Oh well, good luck with it all. :smile:

Comment

Sorry to read this. Thank God your precious life is saved. Hope and pray that you get back all that you have lost. I will keep you and all your loved ones in my prayers.

Comment

Thanks - its much appreciated from you both .
                David Smith
                Managing Director
                DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Geez DPS,

That sounds real bad... Im glad your ok though, :frown:

One note I'll take from this, never leave my phone on silent when at home
                  S1TE - www.s1te.net

Comment

Originally posted by Site View Post
                    Geez DPS,

That sounds real bad... Im glad your ok though, :frown:

One note I'll take from this, never leave my phone on silent when at home
                    Yer, mine was on vibrate but as it was in my pocket and i still had my trackie bottoms on so it woke me - don't normally have them on so it was kinda lucky.
                    David Smith
                    Managing Director
                    DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Sorry to hear that but thanks God you have been saved, take care.

Comment

Thanks paul
                        David Smith
                        Managing Director
                        DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Probably - but at least grounds for civil action to get my stuff back!

Comment

Originally posted by ertdfg22 View Post
                            Probably - but at least grounds for civil action to get my stuff back!
                            Unfortunately I didn't pursue it at the time. I had far too much to do . But things are much better now thankfully .
                            David Smith
                            Managing Director
                            DPS Computing Limited

- New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Working...
                            X