Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google launches internet browser - Chrome

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Google launches internet browser - Chrome

    Google launches internet browser


    Google's new web browser is called Chrome


    Google is launching an open source web browser to compete with Internet Explorer and Firefox.
    The browser is designed to be lightweight and fast, and to cope with the next generation of web applications that rely on graphics and multimedia.
    Called Chrome, it will launch as a beta for Windows machines in 100 countries, with Mac and Linux versions to come. "We realised... we needed to completely rethink the browser," said Google's Sundar Pichai in a blog post. The new browser will help Google take advantage of developments it is pushing online in rich web applications that are challenging traditional desktop programs.


    Full story at BBC NEWS | Technology | Google launches internet browser
    Last edited by WelshTom; 05-09-2008, 15:43.

  • #2
    Damm it, you beat me to mentioning it and pinching my potential article.
    I guess it's only a matter of time before we see a Google operating system as they seem to have most things covered these days.
    Last edited by Eidolon; 02-09-2008, 07:30. Reason: OS
    To err is human, but to really screw up you need a computer.

    Comment


    • #3
      It must be said, it's extremely fast

      Comment


      • #4
        Url for the new piece of kit?
        S1TE - www.s1te.net

        Comment


        • #5
          Update for all


          Google Chrome - Download a new browser
          S1TE - www.s1te.net

          Comment


          • #6
            Just using it now - looks/feels very minimalist - like the 'tear off tabs'
            David Allen - www.serina.co.uk

            Comment


            • #7
              About time! I'm using the browser right now, its pretty cool and I like the design. Wonder if it'll gain market share of any kind? Even though its in BETA it doesn't seem "buggy" at all, and its pretty fast but pages are a little slow, for instance scrolling down pages, etc.

              The name doesn't stand out as a browser, but I think we can contradict the same with Firefox.

              Like the way tabs are created, moved and removed and I like the simplistic design but they need to make the history, downloads and options settings more apparent instead of having to click on the icon to the right. Quite weird as it is seriously unique in design but I like it .

              Edit: Tom, fast? It's so slow with just 2 tabs open (one being Youtube) - no surprise being a BETA release.
              Last edited by Ben Stones; 03-09-2008, 13:41.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ben View Post
                About time! I'm using the browser right now, its pretty cool and I like the design. Wonder if it'll gain market share of any kind? Even though its in BETA it doesn't seem "buggy" at all, and its pretty fast but pages are a little slow, for instance scrolling down pages, etc.

                The name doesn't stand out as a browser, but I think we can contradict the same with Firefox.

                Like the way tabs are created, moved and removed and I like the simplistic design but they need to make the history, downloads and options settings more apparent instead of having to click on the icon to the right. Quite weird as it is seriously unique in design but I like it .

                Edit: Tom, fast? It's so slow with just 2 tabs open (one being Youtube) - no surprise being a BETA release.

                It's perfectly fast, even with several heavy websites open with several tabs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WelshTom View Post
                  It's perfectly fast, even with several heavy websites open with several tabs.
                  Depends on what website you're on. It certainly was slow, very slow, when I had eUKhost forums in one tab, and watching a YouTube video in another, after opening that second tab the browser literally crashed. I also tried visiting the Google blog, somewhat slow and slow in scrolling down the page.

                  So certainly you are visiting completely different Websites to which I stated in my previous post.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have an internet radio running, just been on youtube aswell watching a video, and eukhost forums, everything still fine. What are the specs of your computer?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by WelshTom View Post
                      I have an internet radio running, just been on youtube aswell watching a video, and eukhost forums, everything still fine. What are the specs of your computer?
                      I'll try on my 2GB laptop, as I did download Chrome on my 256MB desktop.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't notice any difference from Firefox tbh. Could it be because of my specs?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dunno - Google need to fix their AJAX compatibility though on chrome - browsing facebook is impossible.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just wondering how they forget to add Google toolbar, I really greatly miss this tool. :frown:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              They use an old(er) version of Webkit which still has a lot of vulnerabilities that Safari fixed in their latest version.
                              Dan Miller

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X