Nokia to be renamed Microsoft Mobile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nokia to be renamed Microsoft Mobile.

You would no longer see the NOKIA name anymore on phones. Microsoft which recently acquired the mobile company is soon going to rename it to Microsoft Mobile.

Nokia has confirmed this change in an email to registered users so it means that it is officially going to happen soon. The deal is expected to close this month.

So you can bid adieu to your childhood favorite brand.

Re: Nokia to be renamed Microsoft Mobile.

Yes, now the all rights of Nokia are in hands of Microsoft and Lets see what more changes Microsoft is coming with.

Comment

I'm interested to see what Microsoft will do to offer basic 15 - 30 handsets that Nokia currently offers. They surely can't just abandon that market because people in developing countries can't afford expensive smartphones. Will definitely be interesting to watch what Microsoft does, especially with Nokia X .

Comment

Sad to see an iconic, once leading cell phone brand simply blown away due to intense competition. This proves that in today's times even a market leader has to be at the forefront and constantly innovate in order to sustain it's leadership.
        Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
        Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
        Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

I wonder if there would be Microsoft Mobile - Powered By Android
          Regards,
          Kieran A.
          Cloud Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran View Post
            Not a chance . Microsoft wants to push their own platform. However, I don't understand why they are getting rid of the iconic Nokia brand. Many companies are worth so much simply on the brand alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Stones View Post
              Not a chance . Microsoft wants to push their own platform. However, I don't understand why they are getting rid of the iconic Nokia brand. Many companies are worth so much simply on the brand alone.
              I am sure I heard a Microsoft employee mentioning before that they would be keeping the Lumia brand. But the person did refuse to comment whether the Nokia brand would continue onwards, so I am not very surprised that Nokia handsets may be absorbed into the "Microsoft Lumia" brand, if that's what they'll be calling it.

Comment

This is quite sad. Even though Nokia was not doing so well it had a well established name which would have helped in giving it the desired leverage had it improved upon its product range.

I don't understand how changing the name is going to make it any better. Leave alone the fact Microsoft itself is not in a very good situation either.
                eUKhost Ltd.: eUK Web Hosting | eUK Dedicated Servers | eNlight Cloud Hosting | Build a Website
                Join our Affiliate program for free and earn up to 400 per sale!
                "A DECADE OF EXCELLENT SUPPORT"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Brown View Post
                  This is quite sad. Even though Nokia was not doing so well it had a well established name which would have helped in giving it the desired leverage had it improved upon its product range.

I don't understand how changing the name is going to make it any better. Leave alone the fact Microsoft itself is not in a very good situation either.
                  I think for a company (Nokia) that was losing substantial revenue has made quite a turnaround with Windows Phone - I don't think it required an acquisition to save them but clearly it is something both Microsoft and Nokia wanted to do. People have always said Nokia makes good quality hardware and I wouldn't disagree. I've had a Nokia Lumia smartphone before and they are well built - even the ones that ran Symbian before they switched over to Windows Phone.

It is important to put things into perspective here. Microsoft are doing fairly well financially.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran View Post
                    If I recall correctly, Nokia had recently launched a new X series of phones which are based on Android. Not sure what would happen to those phones after the company is renamed.
                    Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
                    Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
                    Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

After seeing that Microsoft are now allowed to sell the Xbox one in the Chinese market, which the gaming market in China is growing by over 40% a year! I can see Microsoft Mobile doing well with future integration between mobile phone & gaming products.

Once a brand in today's world has lost its trend appeal like Nokia has, its often time to reinvent yourself and acquisitions and name changes are often the first steps. It is a shame to see the Nokia brand disappear forever, however it hasn't managed any innovation since the early days and the next generation of smart phone users don't see them as the trend and rather as a has been - MS Mobile & Gaming can change this for the new generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                        If I recall correctly, Nokia had recently launched a new X series of phones which are based on Android. Not sure what would happen to those phones after the company is renamed.
                        Yep. That would be interesting to know as how the company will continue to produce phones with different platforms.
                        And being Microsoft, I don't think they will promote any other OS but windows. :P
                        Regards,
                        Kieran A.
                        Cloud Administrator

Comment

Full Article: http://www.rappler.com/technology/features/56393-16-unforgettable-nokia-phones
                          Attached Files

Comment

I had all of those phones up to the 2003 models, after that I came to America in 2002 and I was back to the 5110 and it was very popular. I kid you not!

It will be sad to see the iconic Nokia name disappear and be replaced with Microsoft Mobile. Overall Nokia name (to me) usually meant quality. Their phones that I had (with the exception of the 8210) all would last a lifetime. I never had one of their smartphones. The name Microsoft doesnt scream quality product to me and many others, it'll be interesting to see how people buy Microsoft Mobiles vs the old Nokias compared to Droid and iExpensive phones too.

I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

Comment

I remember that Nokia phone from 2003! Ah, those were the days...

Comment

Working...
                              X