Researchers discover iOS app security flaw dubbed the "Masque Attack"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researchers discover iOS app security flaw dubbed the "Masque Attack"

One of the main reasons that many consumers opt for Apple’s mobile devices and their related platform iOS is because of the high level of security that the combined platform have come to signify, with the closed ecosystem offering little room for hackers to attack. However, this secure world is about to be rumbled with the discovery of a security hole dubbed the ‘Masque’ attack, with which hackers would be able to replace legitimate apps that are already installed with malicious versions that could be used to capture the personal information of the device’s owner.

We all use our iPhones and iPads for a range of different uses – the chances are that you have a range of apps that you use for daily life such as mobile banking apps and email clients. The distribution of apps across iOS devices is tightly regulated by Apple through its App Store and all apps have to be vetted and finally approved before entering the app store, this process is the frontline of defence against malicious attackers as it lets Apple weed out malicious applications before they have a chance to hit the App Store, let alone user’s phones or tablets. It is these legitimately installed apps that the Masque attack aims to target – by sending a user a link to a web page through SMS or email, the attackers will be able to hijack the legitimate applications on a device and replace them with their own versions that includes malware that can be used to collect text messages, emails, phone calls, and pretty much anything else that your Apple device holds.

Luckily this is a flaw that has been discovered by researchers and one that hackers are yet to exploit. It’s said that the best way to stay safe is to install and update applications through the App Store only – if any websites are asking you to do either, chances are it’s dodgy.

The question is, how long will Apple take to fix this? Do you think this will make you consider a switch to Android, or another competing platform?

Re: Researchers discover iOS app security flaw dubbed the "Masque Attack"

I'm sure Apple will fix this soon, but really no platform is 100% secure. iOS is a very popular platform and so researchers will naturally target iOS to see what they can find.

Comment

Re: Researchers discover iOS app security flaw dubbed the "Masque Attack"

Originally posted by Ben View Post
      I'm sure Apple will fix this soon, but really no platform is 100% secure. iOS is a very popular platform and so researchers will naturally target iOS to see what they can find.
      I agree, they are huge on the mobile market so they are attacked a lot. The worry with iAnything is that its users are under the impression they cant get a virus and cant get hacked for some reason so I think they're (maybe) less aware.

I am just a voluntary moderator here, I do not speak for eUKhost officially!

Comment

Working...
      X