You're all TERRORISTS now! WhatsApp turns on chat encryption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're all TERRORISTS now! WhatsApp turns on chat encryption

WhatsApp will fully encrypt messages by default, signaling a leap forward for the privacy of everyday chatter around the world.

The rollout, announced today, was described by the app maker as the "largest deployment of end-to-end encryption ever. The feature will, it's hoped, safeguard messages from eavesdroppers by encrypting chats between people.

here are limits to Facebook-owned WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption. So far, it only covers text messaging (as opposed to group messages or pictures), it only works on Android, and it remains open to potential man-in-the-middle attacks because there's no way to verify the identity of the person you're messaging.
    Source: WhatsApp turns on chat encryption for 600 million people

Re: You're all TERRORISTS now! WhatsApp turns on chat encryption

Originally posted by Alex21 View Post
    WhatsApp will fully encrypt messages by default, signaling a leap forward for the privacy of everyday chatter around the world.

The rollout, announced today, was described by the app maker as the "largest deployment of end-to-end encryption ever.” The feature will, it's hoped, safeguard messages from eavesdroppers by encrypting chats between people.

here are limits to Facebook-owned WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption. So far, it only covers text messaging (as opposed to group messages or pictures), it only works on Android, and it remains open to potential man-in-the-middle attacks because there's no way to verify the identity of the person you're messaging.
    Source: WhatsApp turns on chat encryption for 600 million people
    Good step for the end-users, but bad for the law-enforcement authorities (specially NSA haha), unless they've a backdoor to read what they want.. Also, with all that encryption & decryption going on on the devices, hopefully shouldn't slowdown them!
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Though, I am not a WhatsApp user, but I think its a good first step towards making secure environment for the users. And law-enforcement authorities like NSA are total joke what makes sense to read WhatsApp users messages when >

Comment

Originally posted by Irene9001 View Post
        Though, I am not a WhatsApp user, but I think it’s a good first step towards making secure environment for the users. And law-enforcement authorities like NSA are total joke – what makes sense to read WhatsApp users messages when >

Perfect example of displaying Mas is a Social Animal! Can't agree more.. this is a plight you get to see everywhere, every now & then...
        Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Exactly what I thought. Snowden's leaks showed that Facebook actively and knowingly creates routes for the NSA to snoop on private data of all of its hundreds of millions of users with or without the secret court rulings.
          Seeing whatsaap was already completely vulnerable security-wise before it was bought by Facebook and now it's owned by them, I won't believe them one bit.

I use whatsapp to chat in groups with friends but I make sure I never input data that I wouldn't want snoopers to see.

Comment

Working...
          X