Whatsapp falls through data protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a rating of the privacy organization Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Whatsapp has the worst cut of 24 technology companies. The EFF Measures transparency in privacy issues. There are five criteria to be considered, for example, whether users will be informed if the US government is requesting data. Also be stored as long as user data is of interest.

In addition, the ETF has queried whether the provider inform users about how often requests deletion of content governments and how often upheld the. One criterion was whether companies to publicly oppose this, built into its software services, can be accessed through the information. Nine of the 24 companies have been able to meet all the requirements in the rating, including Adobe, Apple, Dropbox and Yahoo.

Whatsapp is not very good when it comes to data protection. The EFF rating shows Whatsapp rated last under the data protection. This is a call for the users to be careful while sending messages and data on Whatsapp and make sure not to send critical data using Whatsapp.

Comment

Re: Whatsapp falls through data protection

Hi,
      Right crystal, It is advised not to share critical data like bank account numbers, password or any other information on Whatsapp. Because of the advantages delivered by the App the people become more addicted to it and could pass a minute without checking the updates on their smartphones.

Comment

It is indeed a matter of concern for all of us, having shared your classified information on Whatsapp or any third party app can lead to a serious nightmare. I believe this sort of apps should only be used for general conversation or socializing. If you might have noticed even the data of what websites we visit is stored by google, this shows how we are monitored by these internet industry giants!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          It is indeed a matter of concern for all of us, having shared your classified information on Whatsapp or any third party app can lead to a serious nightmare. I believe this sort of apps should only be used for general conversation or socializing. If you might have noticed even the data of what websites we visit is stored by google, this shows how we are monitored by these internet industry giants!
          You hit the nail on the head Rob, most to these giants of the Internet industry store the user online behavior and when required sell this data to the specify companies that need it. These companies then target a particular niche using this data. The one who has the data has the competitive edge.

Comment

This is why I've uninstalled whatsapp.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. In fact there was a time when I was badly addicted to whatsapp. I used to be on whatsapp the whole day. It was really difficult for me to learn how to reduce my time spent on this app, but gradually I was able to do so. Even I use to share most of my personal stuff on whatsapp but all of a sudden I decided to limit the usage of whatsapp, as its excessive usage created distract action and the continuous alerts really use to disturb me. As far as security is concerned I only realised it when I shared few group pics with one of my Facebook friend and they were misused in an unknown group which I came to know after a long time, since then I have religiously decided not to add any picture. Very soon I might uninstalled whatsapp

Happy Weekend

Regards,
              Rex Miller

Comment

I was not surprised when Whatsapp failed the test regarding data protection. I would like to highlight a point regarding the profile pic; it can be easily saved in the phone gallery by the Whatsapp user who has your number. Just be careful while uploading, sending information on Whatsapp. This software has gained popularity such that people have become addicted to it. The teenagers who use Whatsapp a lot have turned into Screenagers. Come on we can communicate with people directly, canít we?

Comment

Using Whatsapp to send a message is nice, but make sure that it does not contain any critical information. When it comes to security this app was found vulnerable, many companies thrive on the user info as more info means a source to get revenue by selling the user information. You also have to remember not downloads files that are suspicious as they may contain a virus, malware or illegal share. At times, the cyber cell officials may even apprehend users who possess the illicit file, even though they have not created it.

Comment

Originally posted by zenita View Post
                    I was not surprised when Whatsapp failed the test regarding data protection. I would like to highlight a point regarding the profile pic; it can be easily saved in the phone gallery by the Whatsapp user who has your number. Just be careful while uploading, sending information on Whatsapp. This software has gained popularity such that people have become addicted to it. The teenagers who use Whatsapp a lot have turned into Screenagers. Come on we can communicate with people directly, canít we?

Haha .. Teenagers are now Screenagers; Very well said

Comment

I see now this problem doesn't exist on YoWhatsApp APK anymore
                      Last edited by CatherineBenson; 21-05-2021, 13:29.

Comment

Working...
                      X