Asterisk Voip hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asterisk Voip hosting

I'm in search of a host who can satisfy my requirements of Asterisk VoiP hosting. We are a small business and are looking forward to switching to VoiP for 12 lines. Can someone please recommend me a suitable plan? We'd approached a couple of companies, where they've recommended us to opt for a dedicated server to run VoiP services. After going through some of the documents over the web, we believe that the Cloud or semi-dedicated server too should be enough.

Hello and Welcome to the Forums

We hope that you enjoy your stay here.

A Dedicated server is always recommended for VOIP services as VOIP requires good amount of resources, most importantly, bandwidth. Maximum amount of bandwidth is offered with the dedicated servers and hence most of the hosting providers ask customers to choose a dedicated server for VOIP.

EUKhost also offers VOIP dedicated servers and Asterisk can be installed on those servers. You can check the details on the link given below:

eUKhost's Asterisk - Trixbox based VOIP server hosting services only at eUKhost

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestion, much appreciated.

But,Im aware that VoIP requires server resources than usual website and a dedicated server is what everyone is suggesting. But, going for a dedi for only 12 lines should consume a lot of resources (bandwidth). In our opinion, Cloud or a semi dedicated should do. I hope my point is clear to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Barb View Post
        Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestion, much appreciated.

But,Im aware that VoIP requires server resources than usual website and a dedicated server is what everyone is suggesting. But, going for a dedi for only 12 lines should consume a lot of resources (bandwidth). In our opinion, Cloud or a semi dedicated should do. I hope my point is clear to you.
        You're welcome

Well, if you feel that the Cloud hosting plan or a Semi-dedicated server would be sufficient for your requirements, you can choose it, however, I would suggest a Cloud hosting plan over a Semi-dedicated server for sure as a Cloud hosting plan is created using Hardware Virtualization application which ensures better performance.

Comment

What is asterisk voip hosting?

Is Asterisk VoIP hosting different from normal VoIP servers? and how are these servers protected from malicious scripts and hackers? I mean say dedicated servers provides maximum security to their clients, in same say does these VoIP servers has a firewall? What is the use of firewall on these servers and what kind of firewall is it? Some provides use a Cisco firewall on their servers.
          Last edited by petey; 13-12-2010, 07:48.

Comment

Basically, Asterisk is a software that bends an usual computer system into a communications server. Asterisk powers Trixbox, which is an open telephony platform for businesses that utilizes the best open source telephony tools. Whereas, IP PBX systems is a Private Branch Exchange systems or a telephone network which is used in a particular office to make calls.

Comment

After going for a VoIP server hosting, do I get a different number or anything like that to make and receive calls?

Comment

Well, talking about firewalls, it is a security roadblock between you and a source that may want to contact you and possibly do harm to you. The difference between a regular firewall and a VoIP server firewall is that the standard ones may not protect you from all security problems that root from VoIP, in fact they may interrupt your audio signals.

Regular firewall can not recognize voice packets from data packets and, as both packets try to get it through, it may decrease the quality of your voice. VoIP industry was facing this issue some time ago, hence, have found the firewalls such as Cisco PIX Firewall and Barracuda security firewall, specially designed VoIP servers.

Generally, there is no need to have a firewall on VoIP servers, but to ensure more security and to provide better services, different providers uses different firewalls.

Comment

Who and Why should one opt for VoIP services? Are there any major differences between between regular phone calls services and voip services? And what kind of applications can be hosted on VoIP servers?

Comment

There are two major reasons, why one should opt for VoIP services, one is that the cost is low and another is the increased functionality. Generally, phone calls made through VoIP costs low than that of same service from traditional facilities. As due to the fact that it uses single network to transmit your voice and data, it saves much cost behind it. Most of the time from the users point of view, phone calls made through VoIP services are looked as free calls, even if they are international.

Comment

One of the great advantage of VoIP is that you can do things which you can't do with regular phone networks. You can simply take your IP phone or USB phones or whichever VoIP supported phones with you, anywhere you go, to receive the incoming calls you just need to have an Internet connectivity. Once you have connected your phone with Internet all your calls will be automatically routed to your VoIP phone.

Large as well as small businesses having few staff or call centers services may also opt for VoIP Hosting services. Working from anywhere becomes very simple and easier for call center agents using the VoIP phones.

Applications such as IVR (Interactive Voice Response), call center softwares or traditional telephony applications can be hosted on VoIP servers.

Comment

Is it possible to record or monitor my calls in VoIP hosting, usually which are of long period of time?

Comment

Yes, recording and monitoring calls on VoIP server hosting is definitely possible. VoIP offers you various feaures such as call monitoring, call parking, call recording, routing your calls, detail records of your calls and many more. It is a best solution that helps businesses to save on costs and to increase their productivity.

Comment

Is it compatible with both the platform, windows and linux? I mean to say which OS are supported.

Comment

Yes, it is compatible with a wide range of basic systems, you can choose between windows and linux, whatever suits you. Due to the fact that asterisk was primarily developed on GNU/Linux, it can also run along with OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and Mac OS X. Also, in terms of security, usually a Hardware firewall is setup on servers to protect you from any incidents.

Comment

Working...
                              X