Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Linux Dedicated questions

Hi

I already have a few VPS's with Eukhost so familiar with the company and their great support.

Our main server hosting the majority of our hosting clients is with another company though and having reached the end of our contract with them, I'd like to go for one of EUK's new E5 range

I have already discussed this with Stuart Hancock who has been very helpful

Just a couple of technical questions though, if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

I would be looking to have 4 x 480GB SSD's in Raid 10

In the server config options, there is the option for SSD read-write acceleration for an additional 50 per month. Is this something that would only be of benefit if I was having SATA or SAS drives in the server or will it offer a further performance boost to the fitted SSD drives?

Should I be looking at Centos 7 or 6. I've heard that Centos 7 gives better performance but there are issues with R1soft and backups

Many thanks

Mark

Re: Couple of Linux Dedicated questions

Hi Mark,

Glad to know about your server choice from among our new E5 servers range. SSD read-write acceleration is an optional addon for servers with SATA disks only which aids in performance boost. SSD disks do not require SSD read-write acceleration as they are already performance oriented disks. SSD acceleration options were visible within SSD servers initially however that was due to a system bug which has been rectified now.

If you intend to use R1Soft for backups along with this server, we would recommend CentOS 6.x for now. Other than that, CentOS 7 works pretty well with everything. We have initiated this with R1Soft and we hope it will be addressed soon.

Please feel free to post if you have any other questions.
    Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
    Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
    Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Hi Ryan

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated. I thought that would be the case with the SSD acceleration but wanted to make sure.

I need EUK to handle the backups so unless you have an alternative that works as well as R1soft, I guess we'd better stick with Centos 6

In terms of choosing between the E5-2620v3 and the E5-2630v3, is the only difference the number of cores on the 2630 or is there any other significant performance differences

Best regards

Mark

Comment

For backups, we offer and recommend only R1Soft CDP so I'd suggest you to stick with CentOS 6.x for now. We'll configure backups for your data as required after the new server is setup and ready to use.

As far as choice between E5-2620v3 and E5-2630v3 is concerned, 2 x E5-2620 comes with 12 Cores/24 Threads while E5-2630v3 comes with 16 Cores/32 Threads so if you intend to run a CPU intensive website or application on the server, these additional cores and threads will definitely make their presence felt.
        Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
          For backups, we offer and recommend only R1Soft CDP so I'd suggest you to stick with CentOS 6.x for now. We'll configure backups for your data as required after the new server is setup and ready to use.

As far as choice between E5-2620v3 and E5-2630v3 is concerned, 2 x E5-2620 comes with 12 Cores/24 Threads while E5-2630v3 comes with 16 Cores/32 Threads so if you intend to run a CPU intensive website or application on the server, these additional cores and threads will definitely make their presence felt.
          Many thanks for your help Ryan, I've sent a mail to Stuart requesting an updated quote based on our discussion here.

Comment

Cheers Mark!

Please feel free to post if you may have any further questions about these servers

Comment

ban-img
            Working...
            X