Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing Previous Hosts

Hi,

I have three low bandwidth asp.net web sites and a couple of php sites that I want to move to a single host using the Windows Standard reseller package that eukhost provide (should be plenty for my needs).

Now my question is rather tricky to answer I know and I suppose it is aimed at people who have gone through a similar process. I have now hosted with protectweb.com, seekdotnet.com and currently lunarpages.com and each time I have spent ages making sure they were a good reliable host with reasonable technical support and yet each time they have turned out to have extremely limited knowledge that resulted in really very straight forward technical issues taking days, even weeks to sort out. Also their uptime of 99.9% or similar has always fallen short by some margin.

Now I think I am realistic over the level of support and uptime I can expect for a relatively low cost hosting package but can anybody comment on eukhost when compared to the hosts I have mentioned or comparable ones?

Thx,
    Stephen

Well if it helps, I have just moved over from a provider similar to your last.

Now things here are not perfect (tell me somewhere that is) and we do seem to get a few more problems than we had from our last supplier, but (and this is the big thing) when there is a problem, rather than it taking days to get an answer (never mind a resolution) the support guys here are bang on it, and problems get resolved very quickly, they all seem to know their stuff, and on one ocasion that chap I was talking with on live chat, did not know, so rather than give me the run around, he said, sorry I don't know, let me pass you on to someone else, and that got it sorted. well that's all I can ask for.

The only neg point is, if there is a problem, they get it fixed in a fast time, but if you then want to know what it was that caused the problem, then things seem to go quiet.

All in all, I am please I moved our services over to here.

Comment

I would like to comment on this :-
      Originally posted by vivaciti View Post
      The only neg point is, if there is a problem, they get it fixed in a fast time, but if you then want to know what it was that caused the problem, then things seem to go quiet.
      We've had some problems in past where support staff members gave all details of technical problems and customers simply started stretching those things on forum. Our support staff prefers to solve problems than talk on those. its not that easy to understand intentions of a customer from livechat or ticket and you never know who will be pleased with your detailed explanation and who would start a new topic from your explanation.

We do inform customers if something wrong has been done from their end and we help them to avoid any similar problem in future. If something has gone wrong from our end then we believe in fixing and avoiding similar problem in future.

edit:There's one more explanation for :-

Originally posted by vivaciti View Post
      we do seem to get a few more problems than we had from our last supplier.
      You get quick response to your first problem so you manage to raise ticket or initiate chat for new problem immediately. Initially you loose more time, but all problems get sorted in first few days and then you find sufficient time to focus on growth of your website hosting / business.
      eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
      Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

Comment

Hi Stephen,

Our windows hosting service has shown great improvement in last 1 year and our new windows servers which are getting filled right now should not face any sort of hardware problems that we had on some of our old servers.

We've switched to 100% Dell hardware from last 8 months and I'm proud to say that none of our Dell servers have had any sort of hardware related problems. Trust of our customers allowed us to consider expensive Dell servers, but now we get great deal from Dell on new orders as our order volume has increased.

Our main focus is on level of our support as we do everything possible to keep our staff members motivated all the time. You can check consistency of our service if you go through old threads from this forum.

Comment

I have to say, by the look of it, support is pretty on the spot in my experience with them so far. There are a few areas that might be new to them when you move from another provider and have learned to appreciate some nice features, but what I really like about Eukhost is you ask for a specific application to be installed and they do it, it is nice. Before I wasn't on a managed server and if there was a problem the support was solving it at their discretion and you had to dig into their forum/web for an answer.

Another worry off my shoulder, and it is correct that the first few days you need a lot of help but things get going better thereafter.

Comment

Hello,

I think we have few techs in Windows and Linux team who has covered all the problems that may occur in hosting business unless it is out of box or some thing that is rarely used. We all work with one attitude that is "There is nothing that we cannot learn". And we are alway curios to learn new things every day, a particular problem may get bit delayed but will never stay unresolved.
            Martin
            Chief R & D Officer.

- -

Comment

If my reply came across wrong then it should not have, I was not knocking the service, to date it's the best service we have had, the only neg I pointed out, was in my opinion a very small thing and not something that would put anyone off coming over to here. I would recomend your services to anyone that asks

Comment

Hello again,

Thanks for all the replies. I have now signed up and I'm pleased to report that so far things have gone extremely well. I've setup two ASP.NET sites up without once having to contact technical support (which is how it should be for straight forward things like I'm doing). Maybe its down to a newer version of Plesk than I'm using with my current host but I suspect its more to do with eUKHosts actually setting it up properly and sending nice and clear emails.

My next web site hosting is more complicated so I might even get to try out technical support :smile:

Thx again,
                Stephen

Comment

Glad to see everything is running correctly

Comment

I very recently switched over from a long term account with theplanet (although I prefer to remember them as Ev1/rackshack - I'll call them theplanet though for consitency sake)

I've had a few technical/billing queries since the switch, mainly because I've probably become accustomed to the way theplanet did things and it's a bit different. These initial hurdles were easy to overcome.

I also went from having a full dedicated server with theplanet to a simpler cpanel reseller acct on eUKhost. I no longer require the things I used to and I don't really miss having to harden my own server against the constant intrusion attempts theplanet servers seemed to come under.

When comparing previous hosts it's not quite as simple for me as I've gone from having a dedicated server to a managed server. I must say all tech/billing queries on both have been very good. Much faster on eUKhost when using the trouble ticket approach, however going through the LiveChat route I'd say both are excellent and extremely prompt.

I do have an unresolved problem with my eUKhost acct in that I only seem to be able to upload 2MB files. CPanel says the limit is 2MB, but phpinfo(); says 10MB. When uploading images using FSpot to my remote gallery it falls over with any >2MB images. If I were still using my theplanet server I'd be able to log in and sort this issue out myself, but I'm not able to now I'm using a shared server. I don't think this is a problem, as I've just opted to upload smaller images, but it's an example of the differences between a fully dedicated server to a shared server. I'm certainly not complaining!

All-in-all I'm glad I spent time researching various UK hosts when I decided to move away from theplanet, and I think I've made a very good choice by switching to eUKhost. I did read all the negative posts on these forums too before deciding, and the fact eUKhost didn't delete/hide them made me think that they're not afraid to allow users/customers to express free opinion of them on their own forums. They're very open, nothing to hide. A huge plus point to an open source lover like me

Comment

Originally posted by smiffsoft View Post
                      CPanel says the limit is 2MB, but phpinfo(); says 10MB.
                      Have you asked support to look into this? I upload files in a similar way and some of them have been over 2MB. Granted I'm on a semi-dedicated but it's still running cPanel...
                      Jonathan Crass
                      Joint Partner in Checker Design
                      Joint Partner in Jst Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by smiffsoft View Post
                        I do have an unresolved problem with my eUKhost acct in that I only seem to be able to upload 2MB files. CPanel says the limit is 2MB, but phpinfo(); says 10MB.
                        Hi Paul,

This has been sorted as per your request. seems like cpanel was using different php.ini and apache was using different php.ini. I've made necessary changes in php.ini to raise upload file size limit to 10 MB.

Comment

Originally posted by eUKhost.com View Post
                          Hi Paul,

This has been sorted as per your request. seems like cpanel was using different php.ini and apache was using different php.ini. I've made necessary changes in php.ini to raise upload file size limit to 10 MB.
                          Superb news, cheers, looks to be working now

One of the little foibles of Cpanel

Comment

Re: Comparing Previous Hosts

Looks nice. So far, I have you guys on my top list for a hosting provider with our upcoming project. It will be a huge one.
                            VPS | Dedicated

Comment

Working...
                            X