Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few VPS questions

Hi everyone.

I am looking at the possibility of switching hosts and taking a VPS account with Eukhost, as I have recently had a small issue with my current host due to a short surge in activity on my website resulting in my website being temporarily suspended. I feel it could be time to look at upgrading my hosting as I could be reaching the limit of my current shared hosting account, but would appreciate your thoughts on whether I am looking to take the correct route.

I currently run a popular phpbb3 forum and a few other static sites on a shared hosting account at Hostgator. The forum has over 2000 members although these are not always active on the site all the time (Would be nice if they were!!) The forum generally hits a peak of around 50/70 users online at once for about 2 hours a day, and then drops to an average of around 20/30 viewing the site. We do very occasionally get a sudden surge in interest which has seen peaks of 172 users active on the forum, and then the last peak where Hostgator pulled the plug on the site as it was causing excessive usage of the CPU.

The surges we experience are not everyday, and generally the 50/70 user peak for a few hours a day is the norm, but I am thinking that with more and more members joining the website it is time to look at upgrading and a VPS seems the next logical step without breaking the bank cost wise.

I was wondering if a VPS account would handle such a surge as I experienced the other day on my shared hosting account? Here is a copy of the stats that Hostgator emailed to me when they decided to put a temp suspension on the account...

top - 11:33:30 up 83 days, 12:20, 1 user, load average: 33.68, 28.89, 17.16
    Tasks: 176 total, 22 running, 152 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie
    Cpu(s): 0.0%us, 12.4%sy, 86.0%ni, 0.1%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 1.4%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 4152588k total, 3870120k used, 282468k free, 190224k buffers
    Swap: 6289408k total, 85064k used, 6204344k free, 2718680k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    12511 **** 35 15 42336 17m 7080 R 5 0.4 0:00.16 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php
    12535 **** 35 15 40728 15m 6976 R 5 0.4 0:00.16 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/index.php
    12532 **** 35 15 41052 15m 6976 R 3 0.4 0:00.11 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php
    12540 **** 35 15 40056 14m 6560 R 3 0.4 0:00.11 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/memberlist.php
    12547 **** 35 15 38708 12m 6280 R 3 0.3 0:00.09 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php
    12552 **** 35 15 37964 12m 6476 R 1 0.3 0:00.05 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/download/file.php
    12557 **** 35 15 36424 10m 5840 R 1 0.3 0:00.05 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/download/file.php
    12558 **** 35 15 34324 8892 5540 R 1 0.2 0:00.05 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/viewtopic.php
    12553 **** 35 15 36292 10m 5840 R 1 0.3 0:00.04 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/download/file.php
    12555 **** 35 15 37964 12m 6476 R 1 0.3 0:00.03 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/download/file.php
    12559 *** 35 15 34060 7780 4616 R 1 0.2 0:00.03 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/download/file.php
    12563 **** 35 15 24332 5208 3716 R 1 0.1 0:00.03 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/index.php
    12567 **** 35 15 24332 5492 3764 R 1 0.1 0:00.03 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/download/file.php
    12572 **** 35 15 14804 516 356 R 1 0.0 0:00.02 /usr/bin/php /home/****/public_html/forum/viewforum.php

From reading other questions in this section, would I be right that any migration between my hosting at Hostgator and a VPS server here would be able to be done fairly easily and also handled by the support here, as I currently have a cpanel account at Hostgator? Also would the mysql database also be able to be transferred over by support? It is currently around 450mb in size.

Sorry for the long post I suppose my question in brief is would a VPS account be the right way to go and also be able to cope with the forum and the potential surges in traffic that can occur?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Hello kestral,

to the forums.

Many Thanks for detailed information on your current usage. Your average load is 33.68 which is very high even on a VPS. You need something better than shared hosting and even beyond a Virtual private Server(VPS).

There is not much difference between a VPS and shared package as both work on shared environment. VPS is all about running multiple Virtual Servers within one physical server. To be honest you will face the same problems on a VPS once your forum or activities on your forum grows. I would recommend a dedicated server (Entry level atleast) as a physical server is certainly more powerful than a virtual server. You won't be sharing the server with any other users which will allow you total control and flexibility. I am sure this will be a good solution for you in long run.

As far migration goes, we'll help you with 100% migration. You will just need to provide us you cPanel login details.

Feel free to post if you have any questions

Comment

Yes, considering dedicated server will definitely be the right choice. There won't be any other user to share with, so you get enough resources to use them. Also you can install any 3rd application on the server if needed. EUK offers fully Managed Dedicated Server.

Data migration from your current host will be done by EUK technical team. All you need to do is just provide them your cPanel login details.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply :smile:

It's great to hear that any migration could be handled by you and be quite painless by the sounds of it :smile:

I've had a look at your dedicated server pages, and the jump in price to a dedicated server is quite substantial from my current shared hosting costs, and also from a VPS account. I appreciate that it would be a totally different hosting package and give full control over everything and avoid potential outages as I experienced briefly the other day. If I was to go down this road then it would need a serious review of making the website/forum paying for itself.

Am I correct in reading on the dedicated server packages that I would also have to add in the cost of a cpanel interface to give me similar control to the shared cpanel I currently have? I understand this is an extra for a VPS account, but couldn't find an explanation for the dedicated servers.

This will probably sound as if I am trying to justify just an upgrade to a VPS account, but if I was to exclude the one-off large surge I experienced the other day which was highlighted in the server log I posted, normally would a VPS account be superior to a shared hosting account for handling a forum of my current size (i.e. phpbb3, with peak visitors around the 100 active viewing/posting for an hour a day then dropping to the 20/30 mark) Or would this cause problems on the server and possibly lead to a suspension of the account (I've not found any T&Cs that cover server usage and actions that could occur)

Sorry if you have already covered the above in your previous post, but a dedicated server is quite a jump to what I was envisaging in cost terms, but if this is the long term route that I would be looking at then I'm going to have to look at serious ways to boost income on the site to make it viable.

Would a VPS account be a viable stepping stone for the near future with a dedicated server being a goal in perhaps a year?

Sorry for more questions, but if my maths are correct in pricing up a dedicated server it would be nearly a 10 fold increase in my current hosting costs, which is quite a leap.

Comment

Originally posted by kestral View Post
          Thanks for the welcome and quick reply :smile:

It's great to hear that any migration could be handled by you and be quite painless by the sounds of it :smile:
          You are welcome
          Am I correct in reading on the dedicated server packages that I would also have to add in the cost of a cpanel interface to give me similar control to the shared cpanel I currently have? I understand this is an extra for a VPS account, but couldn't find an explanation for the dedicated servers.
          Yes cPanel costs extra. If you click on "CONFIGURE" tab then you after selecting the operating system, you can configure a server as per your requirements. Also, you can check the prices for cPanel there. It costs 20 GBP per month extra.
          would this cause problems on the server and possibly lead to a suspension of the account (I've not found any T&Cs that cover server usage and actions that could occur)
          The average load you have mentioned is 4 times more than the normal, so indeed the move to VPS would not help you. You must consider Dedicated Server with cPanel.

Would a VPS account be a viable stepping stone for the near future with a dedicated server being a goal in perhaps a year?
          If you wish you can try it however I don't think that it will work fine.

Comment

If a dedicated server is too much for you then I would suggest that you have a look at either a high end VPS server or semi-dedicated server.

However, a discount is available for all web hosting packages including dedicated servers

I've also sent you a PM.

Comment

Re: A few VPS questions

How about currently please. Are there any new promotions for a dedicated or a semi dedicated server as well?
              VPS | Dedicated

Comment

Originally posted by ganddy View Post
                How about currently please. Are there any new promotions for a dedicated or a semi dedicated server as well?
                Hello Ganddy,

Yes, we keep running couple of promotional offers every month for our existing and new clients. I would request you to initiate the Live Chat from our website to get the instant information over the on going offers on our hosting services.

Thanks and Regards,
                EdwardS

Comment

Originally posted by ganddy View Post
                  Hello Ganddy,

AS per my experience exceptional deals are provided on higher billing cycle; higher the billing cycle is more discount you get. You may want to initiate a live chat with the sales team and I am sure you will get a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                  X