Powered by eUKhost®

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to upload a Word.doc and provide a link for download for it on hosting package?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to upload a Word.doc and provide a link for download for it on hosting package?

This should be a pretty simple question to answer, but I have no idea how to get it working.

I have a Word .doc I want to stick up on my hosting package so I can provide a link on a forum for it so folk can download the Word .doc

It's for a charity support poster for a friend of mine who's little girl is in a bad way.

Where do I put this in my hosting via my FTP?.

Pollock Ross | Highland & Hill Associates | Our Disney Holiday Villa | Smart First Aid Training

Hi RSVEcosse,

Originally posted by RSVEcosse View Post
    I have a Word .doc I want to stick up on my hosting package so I can provide a link on a forum for it so folk can download the Word .doc

Where do I put this in my hosting via my FTP?.
    Just upload it into the www folder. This is where the main web site hosting content is kept.

To link to the document in html use the following code.
    HTML Code:
    <a href="myWord.doc">Download Document</a>

Let me know if you need any further help.

Comment

If you're going to have a few files appearing, you might want to put them in a separate folder inside the www/public_html folder. I'm not sure if you're Windows or Linux hosting put on Linux I put mine in /public_html/docs and then the link code I use is

HTML Code:
      <a target="_blank"  href="docs/filename.doc">Opens in new window</a>
      Jonathan Crass
      Joint Partner in Checker Design
      Joint Partner in Jst Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by jc8654 View Post
        If you're going to have a few files appearing, you might want to put them in a separate folder inside the www/public_html folder. I'm not sure if you're Windows or Linux hosting put on Linux I put mine in /public_html/docs and then the link code I use is

HTML Code:
        Opens in new window
        target="_blank" - Yuck, that's nearly as bad as frames :P

Comment

Originally posted by WelshTom View Post
          target="_blank" - Yuck, that's nearly as bad as frames :P
          Agreed, the target attribute is deprecated and is considered to provide poor accessibility. If you really do need to open a new window then consider a javascript solution.
          http://shubox.net

Comment

I would agree with you for normal situations e.g. website hostings, images etc. but for opening documents, it's often a lot easier having them open in another window. People generally close the window after they're done and it still means they have the website hosting open.

I don't just do things for the hell of it.
            Jonathan Crass

Comment

A .doc wouldn't be opened by your browser anyway - it'll be a file download.
              http://shubox.net

Comment

Some browsers open .doc files like PDFs inside the browser itself. And in that situation I've found it most convenient for the user to have the file open in a new window. It's like if you were downloading a zip you'd know that the web site hosting was still there when you closed or minimized the download window.
                Jonathan Crass

Comment

Originally posted by jc8654 View Post
                  Some browsers open .doc files like PDFs inside the browser itself. And in that situation I've found it most convenient for the user to have the file open in a new window. It's like if you were downloading a zip you'd know that the web site hosting was still there when you closed or minimized the download window.
                  As we've stated, a new window can be achieved using javascript - there is no need to use this target="_blank" nonsense.

Comment

ban-img
                  Working...
                  X