Domain transfer - changing name servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain transfer - changing name servers

I took out a web hosting plan from E-ukhost about a week age and requested my domain to be transfer to them (from Plusnet). I had an email from E-ukhost as follows:

You need to request your existing domain registrar to change the IPS tags for your domain name ( only if its a UK TLD domain ) and make them point to "EUKHOST"( without quotes ). Once they change the IPS tags, we will initiate the domain transfer. It can take up to 7 days for the domain to be fully under our control and this is why we recommend that you change the name servers before we initiate the transfer.

Plusnet have changed the IPS tags as requested but I don't understand the last bit about changing the name servers. Could someone please clarify (in beginners mode) what I'm suppose to do.
    The ips tags were changed on the 16th but the domain hasn't been transfer yet - still within the 7 days I know.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Here's a short description about the name servers:

Nameservers, special computers available on the Internet that let know where a website is located. They are accountable for resolving, a special process in which a domain name matching your website is taken and a physical address is obtained.

The resolving process begins when a visitor goes to your website. The visitor enters your domain name in the Internet browser. The browser then searches the nameservers about the location of the server to find out just where your website is located. Then, it connects to the server and opens your web page. The whole process is similar to looking through a phone book. For example, when you pick up the phone book to look for the name John Doe, it is like the beginning of the resolving process just like typing a name into the Internet browser. When you find the phone number, you have resolved the process, just like a nameserver helps find a website address!

While the resolving process is not something you as the website developer must complete or even need to understand, you do need to know some of the information. You will need to provide the names of the nameservers when you buy or set up your domain name. Your web host will assign your nameservers when you enroll in their hosting service. Other than that, let the computer and name server handle the rest. All you have to do is get your web page designed and on the World Wide Web!

Your domain has been successfully transferred over to our control. The name servers part is our job now, as the domain falls under our control, we've updated them to point to the correct server.

Old Name servers set for your domain:
    ns1.force9.net
    ns1.plusnet.co.uk
    ns2.force9.net
    ns2.plusnet.co.uk
    New updated Name servers [ours]:
    ns68.eukdns.com
    ns69.eukdns.com
    These changes will take sometime to propagate globally, but the domain has started to point to our server for me Please let us know if you require any further assistance with this..
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now. I was a bit worried I had to do something more but I now see that I don't - well apart from the designing bit

Comment

Originally posted by paulgul View Post
        Thanks for the explanation, I understand now. I was a bit worried I had to do something more but I now see that I don't - well apart from the designing bit
        You're welcome
        Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Working...
        X