eUKHOST Shared reseller hosting services - what resource limits are acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eUKHOST Shared reseller hosting services - what resource limits are acceptable?

Hi,
    I am on a shared reseller hosting package, I find that at most times in an evening the server hit's 80% of it's memory use and very high cpu load.

Here is the average load during the day:
    Memory Used: 23.2 %
    Server Load: 4.38 (16 cpus)

Here is the load that it can reach for ten minute periods (taken last night when i couldn't access my site for this period and got service un-available messages from my monitoring service):
    Memory Used: 80.5 %
    Server Load 74.38 (16 cpus)

What is an acceptable limit for the server to reach? Now I don't know the cause of the load as Live Chat and tickets have not been able to resolve it. Instead I am continually offered VPS as the option to upgrade. I don't have many drupal sites and their resource use and traffic is not a lot, so the cost of VPS and the hassle of moving and re-configuring my sites is not good. One of the causes i'm guessing could be other accounts on the server who are using heavy resources and in turn knocking out their own sites and all of it's clients.

So this to me does not seem acceptable that a server should be allowed to reach such high limits, by the time I get to live chat the peak and crash of my site has already gone. I also did a reverse lookup on bing to see other sites also hosted on the same shared server and found most of those were also slow or not loading for a long time. In my Resource Usage in cPanel I also see things like 300MB Actual memory being used and I attribute this to the high load on server as the high memory already being used and added to causing errors on my account!

re: eUKHOST Shared reseller hosting services - what resource limits are acceptable?

Hi Naminder,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused because of the very unusual high spike in server usage - which is definitely not normal. I would immediately assume it may be a website abusing server resources for some reason or another. I can see you are hosted on our northampton.theukhost.net server. If you have any active tickets regarding this, please can you share the ticket# here.

I'll request for one of our senior administrators to look into this thoroughly and get to the route cause of why at certain intervals during the day the resource usage on the server spikes that high. The spike in usage is definitely not normal which we will find the root cause for.

Kind regards,

Ben Stones.

Comment

re: eUKHOST Shared reseller hosting services - what resource limits are acceptable?

Hi Ben,
      Here is the ticket ID: RSS-917-21414

I suspect something similar but it has been such a pain to try and find the root cause of this. It is causing a lot of stress on my part but I do understand the situation Eukhost is in, senior admin have been looking into it so far without sucess for quite a while. I do appreciate the good customer support from eukhost but I do think an improvement could be some server monitoring that triggers when such excessive use is detected on the server (within an agreed limit). I find it easy to pin down the problem times because the memory fluctuates so wildly and I get site down messages.

By the time i've seen it happen and got to live support it's too late!

Comment

Originally posted by nams View Post
        Hi Ben,
        Here is the ticket ID: RSS-917-21414

I suspect something similar but it has been such a pain to try and find the root cause of this. It is causing a lot of stress on my part but I do understand the situation Eukhost is in, senior admin have been looking into it so far without sucess for quite a while. I do appreciate the good customer support from eukhost but I do think an improvement could be some server monitoring that triggers when such excessive use is detected on the server (within an agreed limit). I find it easy to pin down the problem times because the memory fluctuates so wildly and I get site down messages.

By the time i've seen it happen and got to live support it's too late!
        Hello Naminder,

Thank you for your response. I can completely understand your situation and I would be as stressed as you are if I was in your position. I have requested for one of our senior system administrators to look into what is particularly causing the high spike in server usage. I suspect it may be another customer that may be abusing server resources as I had said above; and once the root cause has been identified and resolved, one of our senior system administrators will let you know why this problem was occurring.

We appreciate your patience. One of our senior system administrators will respond to you as soon as the cause has been identified.

Kind regards,

Ben Stones.

Comment

Hi Naminda,

Even though some of our sites are lightweight and hardly used we too find that many of our EUKHost sites receive the dreaded "Memory resources were limited for your site" and "CPU resources were limited for your site" messages (Cpanel: logs/Resource Usage Overview).

EUKHost have advised us to update optimise our Wordpress instances and plugins and optimise our code, all of which we have done but to little avail. The next EUKHost advice given was to upgrade to a VPS, but we, like you, feel that there is something causing a problem. We are now looking to optimise our sites further.

BTW. We host on aberdean.theukhost.net, which appears to run nearly 500 web sites.

I'll be interested to see how your case is resolved. Please post your resolution here. Thanks.

Here's my post:
          http://forums.eukhost.com/f34/method...account-18129/

Comment

Re: eUKHOST Shared reseller hosting services - what resource limits are acceptable?

EUKHost have advised us to update optimise our Wordpress instances and plugins and optimise our code, all of which we have done but to little avail. The next EUKHost advice given was to upgrade to a VPS, but we, like you, feel that there is something causing a problem. We are now looking to optimise our sites further.
            remo

Comment

Re: eUKHOST Shared reseller hosting services - what resource limits are acceptable?

Originally posted by djrizzz View Post
              Hi Djrizzz!

Please help us with your account details and reference of the tickets if you have opened any so that we can have a look and assist you further.
              Regards,
              Kieran A.
              Cloud Administrator

Comment

Working...
              X