Version of MySQL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version of MySQL

I have just created a localhost version of my website on my Windows 10 PC using Wampserver 64. The software I use to build my website is already taking steps to update for any issues that occur with MySQL version 5.7 (which Wampserver has installed within it). The version of MySQL installed on the leeds server which hosts my on line site is currently set to MySQL 5.1.73. We were told that there was going to be an upgrade about 18 months ago but this didn't happen "for technical reasons". Is there any plan to upgrade to a more modern version any time soon? - Alan
    "I am, in point of fact, a particularly haughty and exclusive person, of pre-Adamite ancestral descent. You will understand this when I tell you that I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic globule." - WS Gilbert (Poo-Bah: The Mikado)
    The Extended Craxford Family Genealogy Magazine

Hi Alan,

If the latest MySQL version is an immediate need, we recommend you to migrate to one of our servers which have latest version of MySQL installed.

We will get all your data migrated to the new server and everything else on your account will remain as it is currently. All you'd need to do is raise a ticket with our technical support department requesting migration to get the latest MySQL version.

Let us know if you may have any questions.
    Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
    Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
    Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Thank you for your reply Ryan
      My situation is a little more complex than that. As I mentioned above I have a local copy of my website running on my PC using Wampserver 64 which has MySQL 5.7 within it. However to get this running we had to apply a mod to switch off MySQL's STRICT mode and error reporting. Ours is a family history site which uses a standard GEDCOM format which again uses dates which may have partial zeros which fail the STRICT criteria.
      We have been developing an SQL query which relies on temporary tables to run. This works fine (and quickly) on MySQL 5.7 but does not run at all on another WAMP which had MySQL 5.0 installed. We tried it twice on the leeds server a couple of weeks ago and the query failed twice - locking up the server until tech support unlocked it for me (twice). The query has been modified a couple of times since then.
      Should I try the new version of the query on leeds - hoping it will run to completion? If it works OK I shouod perhaps leave things as they are.
      If it fails, I'm presuming (hoping) that a move to a different server would see the site running under 5.7 in the same way it does on Wamp
      "I am, in point of fact, a particularly haughty and exclusive person, of pre-Adamite ancestral descent. You will understand this when I tell you that I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic globule." - WS Gilbert (Poo-Bah: The Mikado)
      The Extended Craxford Family Genealogy Magazine

Comment

Hi Alan,

I apologise for the late response. As far as moving to a different server is concerned, for testing purpose we can take a backup of your account and restore it on to a server with MySQL 5.7 or 5.6 so you can check your website over it.

If it works as expected on to the new server, you can then simply change the DNS to make the website resolve from there.

All this while, the existing account would continue to function as it is so as to avoid any disruption. Only once you confirm the DNS change and switch over to the new server, the old account would be deactivated.

Let us know if this arrangement sounds good to you.
        Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
        Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
        Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

ban-img
        Working...
        X