How can I resolve - AutoSSL fails to renew when using Cloudflare SSL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I resolve - AutoSSL fails to renew when using Cloudflare SSL?

Hello,

While using cloudflare full strict ssl and dns, the cPanel autossl renew fails, and at the end of three months, it displays the following issues for both www and non www:

Code:
    • DNS DCV: "www.example.com" has no local authority; HTTP DCV: "www.example.com" does not resolve to any IP addresses on the internet.
    • DNS DCV: "example.com" has no local authority; HTTP DCV: The system looked for a temporary file at "https:// example.com/.well-known/.....

How can this be resolved on shared hosting?

Hey,

I haven't experienced those issues while using CloudFlare. This usually means that you have something misconfigured or set up that is obstructing the requests.

For example, if the domain isn't resolving to an IP address, it's a bigger problem if you want visitors to be able to view the site. Even if you're using CloudFlare, the domain should resolve to an IP address, even if it's not your hosting IP.

Comment

Hello,

Another question comes in the mind, Why do you need an SSL on your server if you're using CloudFlare?

If I use CloudFlare, I don't need to setup an SSL on my domain. The SSL is provided by CloudFlare. You can upload your own SSL if you have a premium plan with CF. In either scenario, when you utilise CloudFlare, any SSL configured on the server is not utilised. It's the same as putting a fifth wheel on the roof of a car and having the extra wheel accomplish nothing.

Even if you switch to a dedicated server and explicitly install an SSL (non-cPanel SSL) on the server, it will be ineffective since the CloudFlare SSL will overrule it when you open the page in a browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Lee View Post
        Hello,

While using cloudflare full strict ssl and dns, the cPanel autossl renew fails, and at the end of three months, it displays the following issues for both www and non www:

Code:
        • DNS DCV: "www.example.com" has no local authority; HTTP DCV: "www.example.com" does not resolve to any IP addresses on the internet.
        • DNS DCV: "example.com" has no local authority; HTTP DCV: The system looked for a temporary file at "https:// example.com/.well-known/.....

How can this be resolved on shared hosting?
        Hey,

That's the issue with shared hosting: if they don't support something you need, your only option is to switch to a different shared host or set up your own VPS.

Comment

Hey,

When I moved some of my low priority sites from my VPS to shared hosting, I ran into the same problem. Every day for about a week or so, I receive plenty of notification emails from my shared hosting service for each of my sites, and then they stop. It's annoying, but it's not a major problem.

My sites are still showing "secure" in my CF setups because they are served by CF servers.

When this happens, I get the following:

"The certificate for "anydomain.com" was not renewed by AutoSSL." To keep this site secure, you must take action.

Comment

Working...
          X