Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WordPress 2.7 Update in WP Dashboard or Fantastico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WordPress 2.7 Update in WP Dashboard or Fantastico?

Hello Eukhost Forum

Has anyone there had an experience with the option all Eukhost/WordPress users now have of updating their core files through either the new internal update facility available in the WP dashboard or through the Fantastico update option in Cpanel? I've tried the internal WP update and it now says updated in WP, but in fantastico this has not been registered.

Also, there seems to now be a .htaccess conflict between my WP installs in subdomains and addon domains. I had always been aware that on previous versions of WP installed via Fantastico, that because of the way Eukhost server is set up, I had to further install my own .htaccess file in order to make custom permalinks work correctly in WP (this had been automatic on my previous host).

Previously, when all my WP installs were set up and upgraded via fantastico only with my added .htaccess files, all my WP installs (in both subdomains and addon domains) had coexisted fine. However, since doing the internal upgrade on all sites via the WP dashboard this is not the case. I now can have either have my .htaccess file for each WP set up correct for addon domains OR subdomains, but NOT for both. This happens because if I change a .htaccess for any of my WP installs it makes a universal change across all installs.

The end effect is that while all homepages still work fine all the time, the installs without the incorrect .htaccess file have all their internal pages are down. So at present, I have the option of having either all internal pages down in my WP installs in addon domain or in subdomains (luckily ally my subdomain installs are all for testing only - so I went for that).

Has anyone else had a similar experience? is there a fix? The problem lies in this line in the .htaccess file:

RewriteRule . /subdomain/index.php [L] (correct for installs in subdomains)
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L] (correct for installs in root directory of addon domains)

I'll update if I get any further myself.

PS - Thanks to George for his help so far

Update on Updates

1. If you update Wordpress from 2.7 - 2.7.1 it then becomes registered as 2.7.1 both in fantastico and within the WP dashboard.

2. I've deleted one of my custom .htaccess files (previously needed to make custom permalinks work) and the blog's is fine, so it appears this bug associated with past initial fantastico install may have been fixed (unless the upgrading fixed it?). If I'm feeling brave I might soon try deleting all my other .htaccess files.

Bug (still needs answer) is why does Fantastico not recognise internal upgrades done within WP dashboard?
    Last edited by Timjim; 29-04-2009, 11:59. Reason: make more accurate

Comment

So its not the .htaccess file?

Just deleted all .htaccess files on WP installs in both sub and addon domains and it hasn't changed anything.

All internal pages on WP installs in subdomains are still down, all internal pages on addon domains are up. Need to do some fresh installs now to see what happens.

All this has happened since updating within WP control panel (not recognised in Fantastico) so everyone be careful!
      Last edited by Timjim; 29-04-2009, 12:00. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi,

Bug (still needs answer) is why does Fantastico not recognise internal upgrades done within WP dashboard?
        When you upgrade WordPress version from within Fantastico, the patches of upgraded version you get are from fantastico vendors. On the other hand if you upgrade the WordPress from dashboard, you will get patches of upgraded version directly from wordpress vendors.
        eUK_Ralf

||

Comment

deleting .htaccess files could affect the SEO in some way? I am not sure but read somewhere...

Comment

Wordpress updates

If you have used Fantastico to install Wordpress is it wise to use Fantastico also for updating Wordpress ?

Comment

Hi,

deleting .htaccess files could affect the Search Engine Optimization in some way? I am not sure but read somewhere...
              If you have Permalink setting under your .htaccess file, it will stop working and will show 404 error on the links. Which will affect your Site's Search Engine Optimization.

If you have used Fantastico to install Wordpress is it wise to use Fantastico also for updating Wordpress ?
              If you have installed application with the help of Fantastico, i suggest you to update the application from Fantastico itself.
              eUK_Ralf

||

Comment

Its always better/recommended to upgrade Wordpress version using Dashboard rather then using Fantastico. Fantastico is bit slow to update patches of upgraded wordpress version hence you can't upgrade your WP blog to the latest available version using Fantastico.
                :hammering:

Comment

I have upgraded couple of my blogs with the latest version 2.8.4 but found it a bit buggy.
                  Last edited by paul; 07-09-2009, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                  X