Powered by eUKhost®

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R1soft CDP Backup Upgrade Farce (Cyber Attack).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1soft CDP Backup Upgrade Farce (Cyber Attack).

I received one of my pre-configured backup reports this morning, indicating a problem with one of my backup jobs. Ahh, I thought, that'll be due to an upgrade of the VPS' hcp agent and it'll just need to be restarted, which I promptly done.
    As a follow-on and a double check, it was appropriate to login to the R1Soft consoles and check that each of my backup server instances could attach to the VPS agent. Oh boy!

1. Both special(needs)servers.com are using R1Soft self-signed SSL certificates - they obviously haven't heard of Let's Encrypt!
    2. The console interface has been changed drastically, not for the better in my humble opinion. Another example of a dumbing down exercise, methinks.
    3. ALL my backups/Restore Points have been wiped out!
    4. Disc Safes have been wiped out and, leaving one disc Volume with inaccessible data.
    5. ALL my backup Policies have vanished.
    6. Only one Report remains.

With such a catastrophic event, it really has the effect of being a major cyber attack, hence the post title. R1Soft seem hell bent on using programmers with zero commercial acumen. Either the upgrade path is not tested properly or they just don't care about the resulting chaos.
    There's no point in involving eUKhost Support (apart from clearing that one Volume) due to the custom nature of the backup policies. It'll take me a good (bad?) few hours to reconstruct the backup schedules.

Meantime, let's hope I don't need to rely on a backup for one of my clients. Grrr.
    I better re-instate my personal offsite backups, so at least there's something that I can rely on!

EJ

sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
    (I'm not social )

Now, if I could just get hold of someone from eUKHost that actually knows about the details of this software, I might be able to run some backups again...
    (I'm not social )

Comment

Hi EJ,

I'm investigating into this & will update you soon.
      Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Hi,
        Support is progressing albeit slowly.
        Most of the issues appear to bowl down to a lack of permissions for both access to my data and functionality.
        Ongoing bugs in the software aren't helping: shame they spent time on the looks rather than the bugs.
        EJ
        (I'm not social )

Comment

Backups are working right now. Support will get back to you in ticket (MCM-156-57712) with any news on the console permissions.

Originally posted by ejsolutions View Post
          shame they spent time on the looks rather than the bugs.
          EJ
          True, they tried making it look pretty, but broke some functionality, hopefully to be fixed/patched in their next release.
          Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

ban-img
          Working...
          X