R!Soft CDP Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R!Soft CDP Services

How many of you are using this actively? Do you check on the effectiveness and validity of your backups (snapshots) on a regular basis?

Almost every fortnight, I need to get in touch with Live Chat about various issues: performance of the web interface, blocked by the firewall to access the interface, tasks hung in the queue, tasks cancelled due to "unclean shutdown", as well as some others that don't spring immediately to mind.

The latest one was a hung Merge task, and slow interface response. I was told that there was nothing wrong!

As I predicted, the short-lived wildcard SSL certificate has expired (four days ago!!!) and assuming the two CDP server that I use are a reflection on the rest, then NO CDP server has a valid SSL certificate installed, at this current time.

I think that some serious thinking/action needs to be done on the monitoring of the backup servers/services.

So who's going to start paying my Consultancy fees?
    Last edited by ejsolutions; 07-08-2013, 18:59. Reason: Sorry for typo in Title - can't edit it.
    sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
    (I'm not social )

Re: R!Soft CDP Services

Originally posted by ejsolutions View Post
    How many of you are using this actively? Do you check on the effectiveness and validity of your backups (snapshots) on a regular basis?

Almost every fortnight, I need to get in touch with Live Chat about various issues: performance of the web interface, blocked by the firewall to access the interface, tasks hung in the queue, tasks cancelled due to "unclean shutdown", as well as some others that don't spring immediately to mind.

The latest one was a hung Merge task, and slow interface response. I was told that there was nothing wrong!

As I predicted, the short-lived wildcard SSL certificate has expired (four days ago!!!) and assuming the two CDP server that I use are a reflection on the rest, then NO CDP server has a valid SSL certificate installed, at this current time.

I think that some serious thinking/action needs to be done on the monitoring of the backup servers/services.

So who's going to start paying my Consultancy fees?
    Dear EJ !

We regret to hear about the unfortunate situation with the R1soft CDP backup service. We agree that there has been issues
    with the performance and SSL certificate from the last few weeks. The server performance was degraded and hence we had to migrate
    a few accounts from one serve to another and had to upgrade the server resources for smooth functioning.

We have also upgraded some of the servers to the latest release which is said to be improved performance and stability.
    We are in the process of upgrading resources and applying new release updates on all other servers very soon.

If you are still experiencing any issue with your backup accounts then please PM me your server and backup details.
    I will have a look for you and get this sorted out.
    Regards,
    Kieran A.
    Cloud Administrator

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      Yes, I'm aware of the ongoing changes - I had to abort the use of one of the migrated servers due to dreadful performance with it!

I was actually looking for some feedback from the community, as it appears strange that I seem to be the only one noticing any problems.

EJ
      (I'm not social )

Comment

SSL certificates are still not installed.
        (I'm not social )

Comment

Re: R1Soft CDP Services

The servers are a bit of a mess just now - hopefully it'll mean something is being done.

On one of them:
          The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter execution threw an exception
          com.r1soft.backup.server.web.servlet.AutoRefreshFi lter.doFilter(AutoRefreshFilter.java:32)
          On another one:
          Secure Connection Failed
          An error occurred during a connection to r1softbackupx.specialservers.com.
          A PKCS #11 module returned CKR_DEVICE_ERROR, indicating that a problem has occurred with the token or slot.
          (Error code: sec_error_pkcs11_device_error)
          Oh well, I'll just need to check the reason for a failed backup later. Just glad that I don't need any restores done, at the present time!
          (I'm not social )

Comment

Dear EJ !

The SSL has been reinstalled on the server r1softbackup6.specialservers.com.
            Regards,
            Kieran A.
            Cloud Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran View Post
              Dear EJ !

The SSL has been reinstalled on the server r1softbackup6.specialservers.com.
              A few more to go?
              You have asked Firefox to connect
              securely to r1softbackup2.specialservers.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Am I the only customer to use R1Soft, or just the only one that pays attention to backups?

(I'm not social )

Comment

A few more to go?

The SSL certificate has been installed on the server r1softbackup2.specialservers.com. In order to use new SSL, we will have to restart the CDP service but it cant be done right now as some backups are still running. We will do it once all the replications are finished.

Am I the only customer to use R1Soft, or just the only one that pays attention to backups?

There are other clients too, but they don't use HTTPS option to access the CDP console. Although its better to use https over http, its not mandatory and should not pose any security risk with the backup account as data is accessible to authorized users only.
                Regards,
                Kieran A.
                Cloud Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Kieran View Post
                  .. Although its better to use https over http, its not mandatory and should not pose any security risk with the backup account as data is accessible to authorized users only.
                  It should be highly encouraged to mitigate "man-in-the-middle" attacks - Ben's recent thread highlights this well:
                  http://forums.eukhost.com/f10/ssl-ce...-savings-20148
                  Admittedly, the risk is probably low but it is still a risk, nevertheless and clients' data security should be paramount.

Thanks for the update on the other servers - though it shouldn't have reached the stage of them all having expired certificates - certainly not for more than 24 hours.
                  Had I not mentioned the expiry, how long would it have continued?
                  (I'm not social )

Comment

The battle between the CDP backups and myself continues..

One server hates me and frequently blocks me at the firewall level, even though all I'm trying to do is access the web interface in Firefox - nothing untoward. To add insult to injury, my DYNDNS entry is allegedly in the firewall rules, though perhaps it is getting updated infrequently.
                    This is particularly frustrating when a nightly report shows a number of errors with hourly snapshots but it's impossible to check on the current status, let alone causes of the errors.

The other server is working but web interface access is very sllllllllllow.

(I'm not social )

Comment

The battle between the CDP backups and myself continues..

The other server is working but web interface access is very sllllllllllow.

Dear EJ !

Can you please PM me the exact server details that you are having issue with so that
                      I can get it checked with the help of our shift in charge and system experts ?
                      Regards,
                      Kieran A.
                      Cloud Administrator

Comment

It transpired that r1softbackup6.specialservers.com had been shutdown - handy when I was actively using it, due to the poor performance of its' replacement, r1softbackup3.specialservers.com . A notification of its pending demise would have been useful!

A look at the Task History for both (now active) servers can readily show the problems with them. I note that both (servers/services) had been restarted around 07:00 this morning, obviously disrupting any running Tasks.

An example:
                        r1softbackup2.specialservers.com
                        Start Time August 16, 2013 3:06:50 AM BST
                        End Time August 16, 2013 7:02:53 AM BST
                        Run Time 3h 56m 2s
                        Due to the failed daily backup, I've had to manually re-run it, which has implications on the VPS Load in addition to disrupting the normal hourly snapshot.

(I notice unclean shutdown failures are a fairly common 'feature' of the logs.)
                        Oh joy!
                        (I'm not social )

Comment

Hello EJ,

Please allow me some time to go though your polices and task history which are configured on the replacement backup server. I'll update you shortly about my finding .
                          Thanks and Regards,
                          Alex Parker
                          Senior System Administrator.
                          Dedicated Hosting || Semi Dedicated Hosting|Disaster Recovery Solutions

EMAIL:alex @ eukhost.com
                          MSN: alex @ eukhost.com

Comment

Note: I have made Policy changes this morning, to reduce Data Retention and exclude /var/tmp - this will reduce the Disk Safe consumption somewhat.
                            (I'm not social )

Comment

Hello EJ,
                              Thanks for update , it has been noted.
                              Thanks and Regards,
                              Alex Parker
                              Senior System Administrator.
                              Dedicated Hosting || Semi Dedicated Hosting|Disaster Recovery Solutions

EMAIL:alex @ eukhost.com
                              MSN: alex @ eukhost.com

Comment

Working...
                              X