R1Soft Remote CDP Backup - Continually Poor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1Soft Remote CDP Backup - Continually Poor

The lack of monitoring of the Manager servers has become apparent again.
    One server in particular (r1softbackup3.specialservers.com) seems not to have the performance to cope with an hourly backup schedule. For the past few days there have been frequently missed backup slots and in some cases tasks have remained queued for hours at a time.
    It is a chore to have to login to the console every day, just to check on which backups have actually run and in some cases to cancel tasks that are held in the queue.

I do wish this service was given a lot more attention by EUKHost and that its' importance is recognised.
    sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
    (I'm not social )

Re: R1Soft Remote CDP Backup - Continually Poor

I have verified the backup setting of your server which you have setup hourly. You have account on shared backup server where other servers backup are also configured . Your backup taking long time to complete and it is continuous process due to that the backup process get in queue .

If you want to resolve this issue I like to suggest you either change you backup schedule backup after every 4 hours or take daily backup instead of hourly.
    Another option is to take separate dedicated server for backup configuration where you can configure hourly backup also.

Comment

Originally posted by Tux View Post
      I have verified the backup setting of your server which you have setup hourly. You have account on shared backup server where other servers backup are also configured . Your backup taking long time to complete and it is continuous process due to that the backup process get in queue .

If you want to resolve this issue I like to suggest you either change you backup schedule backup after every 4 hours or take daily backup instead of hourly.
      Another option is to take separate dedicated server for backup configuration where you can configure hourly backup also.
      Well, I have to say if that is the official line on this issue, then it stinks!

FYI: I already have another backup Manager that runs daily snapshots - just as well.

The advertised service gives the impression that hourly backups are not a problem (in fact R1Soft supports 15 minute intervals). A much more appropriate response might be that you intend to redistribute the amount of Tasks that are run on these "special needs" servers and that the Task queue (amongst other things) will actually be monitored.

CDP 3.0 can reduce your backup windows from hours to minutes; improve recovery point objectives by replicating your data to disk-based archive storage up to every 15 minutes; and reduce the impact of backups on server load.
      Define a CDP replication goal; for example, every 15 minutes, or every hour, or every 4 hours. Then define how many recovery points you will retain. Old recovery points are automatically merged and their storage is recycled.

I have previously complained about the poor network throughput of the backups and suspect, in addition to disc performance, is a main cause for tasks not completing in a timely manner.

The recent fantastic promotion of doubling the available Disc Safe is totally nullified if the product can't even cope with basic functionality. Perhaps the increased uptake in using R1Soft has overloaded particular Manager servers and this hasn't been taken into account.

Not impressed - as you may have gathered.

EJ

[PS. As to why you felt the need to verify my Task schedule, heaven knows! Perhaps, my observations/complaints can't be taken on face value!]
      Last edited by ejsolutions; 04-05-2014, 19:02.
      (I'm not social )

Comment

Originally posted by Tux View Post
        Out of pure curiosity: what is the cost of this option? (Probably more than my vmware Cloud.)
        (I'm not social )

Comment

Hi EJ,

Originally posted by ejsolutions View Post
          The advertised service gives the impression that hourly backups are not a problem (in fact R1Soft supports 15 minute intervals). A much more appropriate response might be that you intend to redistribute the amount of Tasks that are run on these "special needs" servers and that the Task queue (amongst other things) will actually be monitored.
          You can be sure that we have already distributed the backup tasks in such way that the resources and disk usage are fully optimized. As stated previously, we have 24 hours active monitoring Team which monitor's the backup tasks including manager servers resources and performance utilization.

Although R1Soft supports 15 minute intervals and there should not be any issue in running hourly replication, there are certain terms and conditions and the backup server as well as backup agent environment requirement that need to be met. We have checked your backup issues in the past and after investigating the issues on the hosting server and the backup application level, we concluded that there was nothing wrong with the environment settings.

The recent fantastic promotion of doubling the available Disc Safe is totally nullified if the product can't even cope with basic functionality. Perhaps the increased uptake in using R1Soft has overloaded particular Manager servers and this hasn't been taken into account.
          As of now there is neither issue with any R1soft backup server nor with Manager servers as we are actively monitoring these. We have even integrated our own shared servers backup under centralized managed environment and everything has been working fine with the shared replications and also no other client has reported any console performance or replication failing issue.

In your case, we are now going to report this issue to R1Soft Support Team and shall investigate the issue further as why hourly replication is failing and/or getting hung sometime. We will ask them to check both the hosting and R1soft backup server level environment settings and find the root case of this failure. I'll just create one support ticket for you and shall keep you informed with the investigation status.

Out of pure curiosity: what is the cost of this option? (Probably more than my vmware Cloud.)
          I will say lets get this checked from R1Soft Support first and then we will have talk with our Sales Team for an alternative solution if needed.
          Regards,
          Kieran A.
          Cloud Administrator

Comment

Well, once again Kieran comes to the rescue with a sensible reply.

If you take a look at the Task History for my account on Manager #3, over the past few days, you'll see a lot of anomalies that will demonstrate the issues. I actually manually killed a hung scheduled backup that obviously had no prospect of being run - so the monitoring is missing something, for sure.

As mentioned before, when the R1Soft backups run properly, it is great and restores are extremely quick. All well and good, if one knows that a backup has actually run correctly.

[FYI. You may notice that I've also posted on the R1Soft forum, as a consequence to the recent upgrade issues.]

EJ

A few details/examples.
            Scheduled May 5, 2014 5:34:00 AM BST Time In Queue 1h 58m 2s
            Scheduled May 5, 2014 2:49:00 AM BST Time In Queue 1h 27m 17s
            Start Time May 4, 2014 9:42:23 AM BST Time In Queue 57m 40s - manually cancelled
            Scheduled May 4, 2014 6:34:05 AM BST Time In Queue 2h 6m 27s
            Scheduled May 4, 2014 5:40:30 AM BST Time In Queue 2h 29m 12s
            Scheduled May 3, 2014 5:34:05 AM BST Time In Queue 4h 7m 32s - manually cancelled
            Scheduled May 3, 2014 4:41:14 AM BST Time In Queue 4h 33m 43s
            Scheduled May 1, 2014 9:34:05 AM BST Time In Queue 1h 47m 15s
            Scheduled May 1, 2014 6:34:03 AM BST Time In Queue 2h 56m 55s
            There are a few more for May 1.
            Scheduled April 30, 2014 4:34:04 AM BST Time In Queue 1h 35m 4s
            (I'm not social )

Comment

Hi EJ,

Thank you for the update.

We have forwarded the required access information and the server logs to R1Soft Engineers and they have started investigation on this. We will keep you informed in the ticket : PWZ-758-33643 as we get updates from R1Soft support.
              Regards,
              Kieran A.
              Cloud Administrator

Comment

Some things never change.
                This past week has seen numerous failures, with unclean server shut downs and hung tasks.
                Today's example:
                Scheduled October 31, 2014 4:58:06 AM GMT
                Start Time October 31, 2014 11:58:52 AM GMT
                End Time (still running)
                Run Time 56m 13s
                Time In Queue
                7h 0m 45s
                When I complained about the queuing of tasks yesterday, I was fundamentally told: tough, live with it.
                (I'm not social )

Comment

Hi EJ,

One of the drive from this backup server was became read-only and we had to take the server offline to
                  get the file system issue fixed. This was the reason as some backup tasks were getting queued and caused delayed.

We can confirm that the file system issue is fully resolved now and all the backup policies are working fine.
                  Regards,
                  Kieran A.
                  Cloud Administrator

Comment

A plausible explanation for the most recent events. Thanks.
                    (I'm not social )

Comment

specialservers.com have ground to a halt again - both #1 and #2
                      (I'm not social )

Comment

specialneedsservers.com have ground to a halt again - both #1 and #2
                        Hi EJ !

We don't see any issue with the CDP console from #1 and #2 server. Please contact us via live chat or open a support ticket when you notice any problem.
                        Regards,
                        Kieran A.
                        Cloud Administrator

Comment

Console response has improved since I looked this morning, however..
                          Scheduled November 1, 2014 3:34:00 AM GMT
                          Start Time November 1, 2014 6:45:23 AM GMT
                          End Time November 1, 2014 9:27:03 AM GMT
                          Run Time 2h 41m 39s
                          Time In Queue 3h 11m 22s

Average Throughput 1.6 MB/s
                          Scheduled November 1, 2014 9:34:08 AM GMT
                          Start Time November 1, 2014 5:45:27 PM GMT
                          End Time (still running)
                          Run Time 57m 55s
                          Time In Queue 8h 11m 18s

Average Network Rate 11.1 KB/s (peak 1.1 MB/s)
                          (I'm not social )

Comment

r1softbackup1.specialservers.com has a disc array issue, only investigated AFTER I reported it.
                            No backups for most, if not all of today.

Good to know that other people value their backups and also noticed this. Not.
                            (I'm not social )

Comment

ban-img
                            Working...
                            X