Enlight Max RAM setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlight Max RAM setting

I understand that when I set up a new VM in the Enlight account I can set the maximum RAM to be used.

As the server traffic increases there will come a time when the initial level of RAM allocation (max RAM) is insufficient.

If I then increase the max RAM value on the VM will this actually increase the max RAM available or is this a fixed parameter set when the VM is first created?

I ask because I have 2 VMs in my account and 3 hours ago I changed the max RAM value on each from 1024 to 2048 but this is not reflected in the Enlight summary screen nor in the WHM server status.

Re: Enlight Max RAM setting

just a thought did you reboot your vm?

Comment

The maximum RAM is the scaling limit you can define on your eNlight VM up to which it should scale up to if the need arises. So once you have set a maximum RAM limit of 2048 MB on your VM, should the need arise for more memory, it will auto scale up to 2048 MB, you will be charged only for the amount of memory used and not for the complete 2048 MB.

The eNlight summary screen that you are checking does not display the max RAM or max CPU limit that has been set. It displays the current RAM & CPU usage graph along with current RAM & CPU allocation graph in comparison.

Please feel free to post if you have any further questions or you need any clarification.
      Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
      Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
      Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

When I look at the VM List in the Manage Enlight Control Panel there is a column for RAM. This used to report 646/1024 and I can see that there has been some change as it now shows 646/1085 - I thought that this would immediately change to 646/2048.

What do the two numbers mean?

Comment

Originally posted by triton1 View Post
          Yep - I tried that with one VM but there was no change to the reported figures.

Comment

Originally posted by ebusiness View Post
            When I look at the VM List in the Manage Enlight Control Panel there is a column for RAM. This used to report 646/1024 and I can see that there has been some change as it now shows 646/1085 - I thought that this would immediately change to 646/2048.

What do the two numbers mean?
            Hi Alan,

Let me clarify what eNlight does when you increase the Max. RAM value of your eNlight Cloud VM.

The minimum RAM value sets the minimum amount of RAM you want allocated to your VM at all times, and as a result, you will be charged for the RAM being allocated to your VM (as well as any additional RAM that may be used at any one time) because minimum RAM essentially acts as a reservation for your VM alone when it is not used. If min. RAM is set to 0 MB, you are only charged for the RAM your VM actually uses.

If min. RAM is set to 512 MB and your usage is 768 MB, you will be charged for 768 MB - but always charged for at least 512 MB RAM.

If min. RAM is set to 0 MB and your usage is 256 MB, you will be charged for 256 MB - but only charged for what you use.
            The maximum RAM value sets the maximum amount of RAM you would like your VM to allocate, but will not allocate the maximum amount of RAM you specify unless your VM needs additional RAM - for example, if during peak hours or increased traffic on websites hosted on your VM. The maximum RAM is essentially an upper limit, and regardless of whether your VM needs more than 2048 MB RAM, it will be restricted to allocating a maximum 2048 MB RAM and so you will only be charged for up to 2048 MB RAM of RAM being used by your eNlight VM - and of course, with your prepaid eNlight credit.

If max. RAM is set to 1024 MB and your usage is 768 MB, you will be charged for 768 MB. Your VM can only allocate up to 1024 MB.

If max. RAM is set to 2048 MB and your usage is 768 MB, you will be charged for 768 MB. Your VM can only allocate up yo 2048 MB.

If max. RAM is set to 4096 MB and your usage is 512 MB, you will be charged for 512 MB. Your VM can only allocate up to 4096 MB.
            If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to respond.

Kind regards,

Ben Stones.

Comment

I understand that when I set up a new VM in the Enlight account I can set the maximum RAM to be used.

As the server traffic increases there will come a time when the initial level of RAM allocation (max RAM) is insufficient.

If I then increase the max RAM value on the VM will this actually increase the max RAM available or is this a fixed parameter set when the VM is first created?
              Hi, your Max RAM field is a variable thing and it is set as per user requirements and to have better control over billing.
              By default all of eNlight VMs including yours are allowed to scale upto 16GB RAM which is a security limit.

If you set your Max RAM to 1024 then your VM wont be allocated more RAM that this even if it requires.
              If you set your Max RAM to 2048 then your VM wont be allocated 2048 MB RAM but its just increasing your allowable max RAM from 1024MB to 2048MB and eNlight Cloud can allocate anything between 512MB to 2048MB in proportion to load.

I ask because I have 2 VMs in my account and 3 hours ago I changed the max RAM value on each from 1024 to 2048 but this is not reflected in the Enlight summary screen nor in the WHM server status.
              As Ryan mentioned, the summary screen will always show you the current status of your VM which includes your allocated resources and used resources. Good thing is, now your server can get more RAM if required but within the limit 2048MB.

Comment

Originally posted by triton1 View Post
                Hi Triton,

eNlight is Auto scalable and we have tried maximum to make sure that server stays live during resource changes or even addition of Disks.

A change in Max or Min Limit settings does not need to be followed by reboot and all these changes are adapted by cloud automatically.

Feel free to let us know for further queries.

Comment

Working...
                X