• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eUK-Rishi
    replied
    Re: Centos memory allocation with eNlight

Its your time to start another ride of business

All the best, Im sure you would make right choice.

RJ

Leave a comment:

• ejsolutions
    replied

A few days on and I'm pleased to report that the current setup is very much improved over previous VMs. Memory allocation, in particular, is much more stable and within expectations.
    I intend to post a separate thread on my current key settings, which may/should help others.

Now I'm left with another problem: I have a (seriously) cheap USA Cloud that I don't wanna (sic) give up on and lose the huge discount, and this low-end eNlight Cloud that needs to find a way to pay for itself, or a least be as cheap as possible to run.
    Decisions/Dilemma

EJ

Leave a comment:

• ejsolutions
    replied

Originally posted by ebusiness View Post
    PS - I'm not trying to hijack this thread... it seems that EJ has not been able to resolve his issues with Centos 5.8 and, as it is an older version, the only positive way forward would be to move up to Centos 6 which might be an improvement.
    Not a problem at all - you're spot on the topic!
    The whole point of me posting on the forum (as opposed to 'private' chats/emails/tickets) is to allow others to benefit from my experiences, hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• ejsolutions
    replied

I concur with all of the above, including the upgrade/migration comment.

I'm pleased to report a marked improvement with CENTOS 6.3 x86_64 (manual build of cPanel/WHM). There has obviously been great inroads made with storage, as I/O Wait is pretty much non-existent. C6.3 does appear to be managing memory better and that's without tweaking vm.swappiness, so far.
    It's early days, as I don't have any active accounts on the server, yet but I now have all the ancillary settings/programs finished (takes hours to do). I've replicated mySQL and Apache configurations from my live Xen VM, so this is about as close as possible to getting a direct comparison.
    Next step is to transfer (cpmove) one of the accounts back to eNlight, to at least get some traffic on the VM.
    Later.

[Thanks, Rishi!]

Leave a comment:

• eUK-Rishi
    replied

Hi EJ,

You should be able to access CentOS6 and CentOS6_cPanel templates for new VM creation.

I have checked the CentOS5 VMs which you created on UKR3 and saw them using over 400MB/512MB RAM so I hope the trial is going in good direction. Hopefully it will get resolved soon. I suspect the vm.swapiness or some sysctl conf parameter must have messed the RAM usability.

ebusiness, Hello

Unfortunately there is no known safe way to upgrade from CentOS5 VM to CentOS6 VM.
    You will need to create new CentOS6 VMs and migrate accounts from cPanel scripts or other means ( which our support team is well versed ). Manual migration is safest and it will keep the libraries and modules intact.

Leave a comment:

• ebusiness
    replied

Thanks for the update John.

I have 2 VMs on UK4 both were set up as Centos 5.

Is moving these to Centos 6
    - recommended?
    - easy to migrate?

And if this is a positive how would I tackle the upgrade?

Thanks

PS - I'm not trying to hijack this thread... it seems that EJ has not been able to resolve his issues with Centos 5.8 and, as it is an older version, the only positive way forward would be to move up to Centos 6 which might be an improvement.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied

Rishi,

I don't see the Centos 6 option for VM creation on UK4

Also do you recommend Centos 6 over Centos 5 for memory allocation?
    CentOS 6 is better by a long way in terms of memory management. You also have a block misalignment issue in just about every CentOS 5 install. Big difference when you combine the two

Leave a comment:

• ejsolutions
    replied

..I don't see the Centos 6 option for VM creation on UK4

I only saw one in UKR3, so used that. See what I've started, Rishi?
    "That's another fine mess you've got me into.."

Leave a comment:

• ebusiness
    replied

Rishi,

I don't see the Centos 6 option for VM creation on UK4

Leave a comment:

• ejsolutions
    replied

Thanks!
    Originally posted by eUK-Rishi View Post
    .. How was your old VM ? Plain CentOS6 and then manual cPanel installation ?
    Can't remember, TBH - I thought current one was built manually but on checking the template shows as a cPanel one. :S

Leave a comment:

• eUK-Rishi
    replied

Hi EJ,

Please check now, The CentOS6 template is accessible for VM creation.
    You may choose from CentOS6 plain or CentOS6 with cPanel. How was your old VM ? Plain CentOS6 and then manual cPanel installation ?

- Rishi

Leave a comment:

• ejsolutions
    replied

Hi,
    I went to create a new VM today but unfortunately there is no template for CentOS 6.2 cPanel x64 (or plain) on UKR3 or 4, so that I can do a direct comparison to my replacement VM.
    Regards
    EJ
    Last edited by ejsolutions; 29-01-2013, 15:37. Reason: updated

Leave a comment:

• eUK-Rishi
    replied

Hi EJ,

I can understand your concern but there is nothing special done to the "VMs" of CentOS.
    Its the same default CentOS which most of us have/use.

Let me know when would you like to give a try and I'll arrange credits so that you can test it to full scale & duration till your satisfaction.
    Lets power up the Raspberry Pi

Cheers,
    Rishi
    Last edited by eUK-Rishi; 28-01-2013, 12:43. Reason: Spellchange

Leave a comment:

• ejsolutions
    replied

Hi,
    A good deal of time and "messing about" had been done, trying both C5.8 and C6, including significant downtime and some service replication issues (Apache rebuilds). At the time, nothing appeared to make a significant improvement and I have/had 'moaned about it' at some length.
    From previous VMs on different platforms, plus the newly established VM, the only real conclusion that could be drawn was indeed an issue with the Hypervisor and/or OS template. (The current low-end VM was built from a bare C6, with cPanel/WHM manually installed.)

I have some dregs of credit left on Enlight and assuming a 'trial' cPanel install, I may find some time to 'play'. Unfortunately, I'm a tad busy with ecommerce software at the moment, though do I need something to break the monotony, unless I power up the Raspberry Pi again.

Regards,
    EJ

[Enjoying my speedy eUKHost vmware, as usual.]

Leave a comment:

• eUK-Rishi
    replied

Hi EJ,

I'm really sorry I got little late here. It is really unfortunate to see you away from eNlight.

In your last post, looking at the "total" RAM I believe that it is a CentOS6 VM. Below is a random 512MB VM #free -m
    Its 64bit CentOS5. I tried to search 32bit one but not many opt for it.

Code:
    [email protected] [~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           512        457         54          0          1         32
    -/+ buffers/cache:        423         88
    Swap:         1023        175        848
    I would not agree to RAM limit on eNlight because all the VMs can fully utilize their allocated RAM. Its more dependent on OS.
    eNlight is a Hypervisor which runs all Windows, CentOS, Ubuntu etc. and behaves same for everyone.

If you get some free time to explore more, do let me know

Leave a comment:

Working...
X