Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring software for Linux VM

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for some advice regarding system monitoring software for my linux VM.

For the last 3 days I've had the VM going mad and consuming all resources, sometime between 10am and 12 noon. It's setup with 1CPU and 1GB RAM and usually it only uses the bare minimum. But when these resource spikes occur, you can't view the websites, can't even get a WHM login screen (never mind being able to login), nothing works.

I can see the VM from the eNlight control panel eating all it's resources. I have got around the problem by throwing another CPU and more RAM at it for a while and eventually, after maybe half an hour, it sorts itself out and resource usage goes back to normal, websites become available again and I can then login to WHM.

I've always been more of a Windows admin but I'm getting used to WHM, but I'm finding it a bit frustrating that there don't seem to be the same kind of monitoring tools built-in. Or maybe I just don't know what they are and how to access them...
    So I'm asking if you can suggest any monitoring tools that can plug straight into WHM.

What I'm really wanting to know about is - what was happening at x o'clock? What processes were chewing up the CPU and RAM? Was there an IP address that has been hammering the VM? That kind of thing.

If I could have an easy way of seeing what was happening I can take action to prevent it in the future, rather than just reacting to it when it happens.

But since I can't login while it is happening, I need something that will be monitoring and can be looked at after the event.

Anybody got any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Re: Monitoring software for Linux VM

Originally posted by drifter View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking for some advice regarding system monitoring software for my linux VM.

For the last 3 days I've had the VM going mad and consuming all resources, sometime between 10am and 12 noon. It's setup with 1CPU and 1GB RAM and usually it only uses the bare minimum. But when these resource spikes occur, you can't view the websites, can't even get a WHM login screen (never mind being able to login), nothing works.

I can see the VM from the eNlight control panel eating all it's resources. I have got around the problem by throwing another CPU and more RAM at it for a while and eventually, after maybe half an hour, it sorts itself out and resource usage goes back to normal, websites become available again and I can then login to WHM.

I've always been more of a Windows admin but I'm getting used to WHM, but I'm finding it a bit frustrating that there don't seem to be the same kind of monitoring tools built-in. Or maybe I just don't know what they are and how to access them...
    So I'm asking if you can suggest any monitoring tools that can plug straight into WHM.

What I'm really wanting to know about is - what was happening at x o'clock? What processes were chewing up the CPU and RAM? Was there an IP address that has been hammering the VM? That kind of thing.

If I could have an easy way of seeing what was happening I can take action to prevent it in the future, rather than just reacting to it when it happens.

But since I can't login while it is happening, I need something that will be monitoring and can be looked at after the event.

Anybody got any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    I suggest you to please initiate a live chat session when you found the resource usages are high and sites are slow in responding as this will help us to track the exact cause for the excessive resource usages.
    Reeve.Slater
    System Administrator

Comment

Hmm, OK - I will do a live chat session next time it happens. Although I'm not sure what they'll be able to do with the server while it's running at 100% CPU, it's impossible to log on. But I'll report back with the findings, if there's anything interesting.

Part of the reason for my post is also to allow me to learn more about looking after my own VM. I'm trying to be a responsible user that doesn't go crying to support every time to fix my problems, especially when maybe it's something I could sort out myself, if I knew what to look for or where to look... Also, if it's a configuration issue, if I knew what it was, I could apply the same setting to new VMs as I bring them online, to avoid the same problem in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
        Hmm, OK - I will do a live chat session next time it happens. Although I'm not sure what they'll be able to do with the server while it's running at 100% CPU, it's impossible to log on. But I'll report back with the findings, if there's anything interesting.

Part of the reason for my post is also to allow me to learn more about looking after my own VM. I'm trying to be a responsible user that doesn't go crying to support every time to fix my problems, especially when maybe it's something I could sort out myself, if I knew what to look for or where to look... Also, if it's a configuration issue, if I knew what it was, I could apply the same setting to new VMs as I bring them online, to avoid the same problem in the future.
        I see that you have setup your Linux VM with minimum Ram and CPU and also the Max Scaling that you have setup is also low considering you have cPanel control running on that VM.

I suggest you to please increase the Max Ram & CPU settings for scaling, please note that even if you set high Ram and CPU settings for scaling you will not be charged until and unless your VM actually utilizes that amount of Ram & CPU [Enlight - Pay Per Use] but this will certainly prevent your VM being inaccessible for running out of resources.
        Reeve.Slater
        System Administrator

Comment

Use munin (installable plugin within WHM) to plot trends and see where resources are consumed.
          At a shell prompt, "top -c" is useful.
          Google for mysqltuner, if using mySQL. Google for Apache performance tweaks.
          The best thing to do long term, is to get used to using Linux (Mint, recommended, though Centos, at a push) as your primary desktop environment - you will learn so much more.

In my opinion, eNlight is not suitable for low-end VPS (<768Mb RAM): for whatever reason(s), it doesn't appear to run correctly, in terms of resource usage. You should be able to run a number of domains/sites with 1Gb (i do on 2 other Clouds). Other platforms cope fine with 512mb/1 CPU but eNlight struggles continuously and I'm on a search for an alternative Cloud solution at a similar price point. [I'd much prefer not to, as many other server providers aren't as competent, in the grand scheme of things.]

EJ
          sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
          (I'm not social )

Comment

Working...
          X