What is Xen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Xen?

I have been hearing Xen technology mentioned a lot and how this works well with Cloud Servers. What is this, and what would be a good way to use it?

Hi,

Xen used to be one of the big virtualization platforms in the early days but they sadly withdrew from the market almost entirely and left it to Microsoft and VMware.

Xen Server then became opensource software. So, if you have a bit of know how, you can get a quite solid and reliable virtualization platform up and running. What many companies have done is slightly customized the source code towards their own needs. For example, amazon cloud is based upon Xen.

Comment

I think Xen's popularity is still stable because of its maturity which has more than third party seller support for control panels. And it will makes sense if there are any technically benefits which force customers to switch on Xen from other platform...

Comment

Originally posted by Irene9001 View Post
        And it will makes sense if there are any technically benefits which force customers to switch on Xen from other platform...
        Unfortunately, there are no such benefits with Xen so that customers switch from other virtualization platforms to Xen. Most of the customers know prefer Hardware virtualization in comparison to Software virtualization due to the fact that Hardware virtualization offers dedicated resources including the resources of the CPU and Hardware virtualization applications like Hyper-V and VMWare offer 100% uptime guarantee which is definitely one of the best benefits.

Comment

Xen is an open-source virtualization solution. The Xen hypervisor acts as a thin layer between the hardware and the operating system, allowing multiple virtual servers to run simultaneously on a single physical server. Each virtual server acts independently of the others, with its own allocated area of RAM and virtual disks.

Comment

In my opinion, Xen is a real punch on VMware and Microsoft's nose who always try to control prices.

Comment

Working...
            X