Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The point of Cloud Hosting? Definition Required Please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The point of Cloud Hosting? Definition Required Please!

If you need a 100% Uptime SLA then eUKhost's cloud servers are the solution for you. Some companies or individuals need to know certain processes are in place to ensure that their website or application will remain online during events which would take a standard server environment offline. These things are numerous in nature but include disk drive failure, individual server component failure or switch failure. Any of these incidents could take a traditional hosting product offline, our VMWare and HyperV Cloud Hosting plans consist of a clusters of servers connected to a remote storage device with data striped down multiple devices, multiple switches and network uplinks.

These clusters are housed in a Tier 4 facility, rated N+N for power and network connectivity. A tier 4 facility is the highest rating available and as such we are able to offer certain levels of service which lesser rated facilities are unable to offer. The facility is manned 24/7 by experienced support engineers to ensure that the environment runs smoothly. For our latest clusters we are using Dell R610 Dual Quad and Hexa-Core Processor servers, with 96 GB RAM in each. Each server is configured in RAID and is dual powered from two separate power feeds. We use redundant 10 Gbit Arista switches for our internal network and an EMC Isilon storage cluster for the remote storage device.

VMWare is the ideal choice for our Linux range as it has a proven track record for reliability, scalability and performance. In our High Availability clusters we typically keep 45% of the overall resources available to ensure that we have both enough capacity for failover and also to accommodate client upgrades. As a result of our software choice we can perform maintenance operations without clients experiencing downtime. This is achieved by performing both live host (physical server) and live storage migrations (disk drives).

HyperV is the ideal choice for our Windows range as it offers a similar level of reliability as VMWare and, in our internal tests, performed better when running Windows 2008 on VMs. As with our VMWare range, we can perform live storage and host migrations, while ensuring that your VM stays online. As a result of competitively priced software from Microsoft, we can offer Windows Cloud Hosting at a very similar price to our Linux Cloud Hosting.

With all of our Cloud Hosting Plans a 100% uptime SLA comes as standard. With our 100% Uptime SLA in place, and because we are so confident in our products, we will give performance credits, as described in our SLA, if there is even a second of downtime on our Cloud Infrastructure.

I refer to the above from EUKHOST. We've been on the linux cloud system for a few years now. In the main, things have been ok. The odd downtime but nothing too drastic. Our sites are very much stable in terms of usage and resource requirements which is why over the past couple of months, I have become annoyed at the frequent issues we are encountering with the system. I guess my topic points towards my confusion because one would assume such issues are accounted for within 'the cloud'.

Firstly, CPU and Memory Load. If the cloud is supported by up to 8 cores and up to 12MB ram why is it stated in the WHM that there is just one CPU and 1GB Ram on the system. We have found that load is pushing these system resources of late and hence, the server has been seriously lagging. To the point at which customers have complained. Why at times of high load are resources extended accross the advertised 12gb ram or multiple CPU's? Is this some sort of upgrade that is required to utilise this extra power?

It is also frustrating when certain support staff fail to offer a full explanation as to what might be going on.

I guess what I would like to know is whether we are on the right system because if the Cloud does not offer the service we require then we are better off trying to find something that will suit it.

Thanks

Andy

Re: The point of Cloud Hosting? Definition Required Please!

Hi Andy,

Although those resources can be purchased, your current VM on VMware has a fixed amount of resources - 1 GB RAM and 1.5 GHz CPU. You cannot go beyond this point without upgrading your VM's resources which you can submit a ticket to our sales team regarding. If you have a set up where resource usage is unpredictable, you should consider our eNlight Cloud platform. The primary difference with respect to resources on eNlight Cloud is that RAM and CPU resources on eNlight Cloud autoscale as the need arises; for example, if your VM needs more RAM during peak periods, the back-end system will upscale your VM's resources to accommodate this need and downscale when additional resources are no longer needed. On the other hand, if your usage is usually fairly stable, we'd recommend upgrading the resources you have right now on your VMware virtual machine if they are running low.

I'd recommend you submit a support ticket and request for our technicians to install VMware tools for you, as that will also improve the performance. You can ask our senior technicians to perform a general health check of your VM at the same time if you wish.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to respond.

Kind regards,

Ben Stones.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I guess my next question relates to why all of a sudden these problems are occuring? As I type, my server is down again......Usage has not increased to what it was 6 months ago when there was no problems. I'm concerned and confused..

Comment

Originally posted by igpadmin View Post
        Thank you for the reply. I guess my next question relates to why all of a sudden these problems are occuring? As I type, my server is down again......Usage has not increased to what it was 6 months ago when there [EJ]were[/EJ] no problems. I'm concerned and confused..
        Not much good to you at the moment but I suggest that you install Munin and use that to baseline and benchmark your VM. It is very useful to almost predict where problems may arise.
        EJ
        sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
        (I'm not social )

Comment

Thanks. I would install this if I could get into the WHM. Again, it is running at a less than snail's pace. Just really do not understand. It's a Sunday afternoon no different to last Sunday yet the server is running like a proverbial knackered old banger.

Comment

It's a Sunday afternoon no different to last Sunday yet the server is running like a proverbial knackered old banger.
            Sounds a bit like me!
            Whilst it's running so bad, get onto Live Chat - running "top" should be able to identify the main cause.
            sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
            (I'm not social )

Comment

Thanks. I would install this if I could get into the WHM. Again, it is running at a less than snail's pace. Just really do not understand. It's a Sunday afternoon no different to last Sunday yet the server is running like a proverbial knackered old banger.
              Hi Andy,

I apologise for the issues you are having with your VMware virtual machine. I have forwarded this onto one of our senior administrators to look into this for you and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ben Stones.

Comment

Hi Andy,

My colleague Sam is responding to your ticket as I write. If you could check your ticket# TJH-146-33158.

Regards,

Ben Stones.

Comment

Working...
                X