Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could/Should eUKHost consider a general use snapshot facility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could/Should eUKHost consider a general use snapshot facility?

A recent thread that highlighted issues with restoring a Windowze VM, has led me to ask the above question.
    Snapshots are available from other hosting providers, that use various hypervisor technologies. In some cases these are made directly available in customers' control panels.
    Granted, no server environment is truly stable, with OS upgrades periodically added to systems, so a snapshot of the currently running OS is time sensitive. However a (say) weekly snapshot could be greatly beneficial for restoring a VM that has to be built from scratch due to some unforeseen failure.
    My vmware VM, for example, would take some considerable time to restore to its' current environment, even though I take daily off-site backups of my clients' data, through cpanel backups.

After writing all of this, I realise that an adaptation of CloudCopy should be sufficient (and is monetised )
    Note to oneself: must pay more attention.

EJ
    Last edited by ejsolutions; 04-11-2012, 14:15. Reason: being a muppet
    sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
    (I'm not social )

Re: Could/Should eUKHost consider a general use snapshot facility?

Hello EJ,

Snapshots are an excellent tool if you are making major changes to your environment and may need to roll back, however they should never be used as a replacement for a good backup plan. Having even a single snapshots of your VM will slow down its performance significantly overtime, and can cause massive overheads on the storage platform which could potentially harm the whole environment.

Keeping in mind that snapshots do have an advantage over a backup plan. We are about to add VCloud director to our product range that will give clients access to use snapshots, however the amount of snapshots you can create and how long they can be kept will be limited.

Regards,
    euksud
    Technical Support Department.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Of course, snapshots do not form the core of a backup - they are used to rebuild the server OS environment back to an operational state, in the event of a 'disaster'. Having "watched" you guys take over three days to put together a replacement server for me, this will be beneficial for all! (Albeit in this instance a snapshot wasn't appropriate.) Snapshots are a template of a running system and are not a substitute for user-level backups - in an ideal situation a snapshot only contains the OS, services and server applications, with no user data.

VCloud Director sounds like the sort of thing that is available from other providers. A limited amount of storage space, to hold a limited number of snapshots. Typically, two or three snapshots are all that are required - one being an initial setup, another being one with the server in a 'live' state.

I look forward to future developments.

EJ
      sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
      (I'm not social )

Comment

Originally posted by euksud View Post
        Hello EJ,

Snapshots are an excellent tool if you are making major changes to your environment and may need to roll back, however they should never be used as a replacement for a good backup plan. Having even a single snapshots of your VM will slow down its performance significantly overtime, and can cause massive overheads on the storage platform which could potentially harm the whole environment.

Keeping in mind that snapshots do have an advantage over a backup plan. We are about to add VCloud director to our product range that will give clients access to use snapshots, however the amount of snapshots you can create and how long they can be kept will be limited.
        Could you provide more details about the VCloud?
        Will it be available for all plans? Is it free or will it be available as an Addon?

Comment

Originally posted by DanielCzech View Post
          Could you provide more details about the VCloud?
          Will it be available for all plans? Is it free or will it be available as an Addon?
          Hi Dan!

VCloud Director : VMware vCloud Director: Secure Private Clouds, Infrastructure as a Service
          Features : VMware vCloud Director Features: Virtual Cloud Computing Infrastructure

Yes, it'd be available for all the packages & as an addon
          Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Hello,

We have experimented with snapshots a few times and we continue to do so. Of course, there is a overhead involved in this but we will have something available soon. As previously mentioned, It isn't a good idea to rely on snapshots. I've seen them fail quite a few times.

vCloud Director is deployed on our VMware Cluster 6. However, that is only a panel as far as you are concerned that would allow you to create your own snapshots. We are still testing a few network options for this cluster before putting it into production.

Comment

Working...
            X