Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notice of Migration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Notice of Migration

    Hi,
    I received an email today from "Danny", with regards to moving VMs onto other hardware (again?!), on the 10th Dec.
    The Notice is not clear. Does this apply to vmware, eNlight and/or some other platform(s). Is this a generic email and only some of the Clusters are effected?

    I guess I better remember to change the root password to match your billing system, dropping security to zero, for a while! I don't understand why this is strictly needed, when a direct console access is available. Does this mean that Support will take the time to ensure that a web user isn't midway making a purchase on an e-commerce site? If not, then it's pointless and you'd be as well just "pulling the plug".

    Regards,
    EJ
    sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
    (I'm not social )

  • #2
    Re: Notice of Migration

    Hello EJ,

    As we had stated in the e-mail, if it is more convenient for you to have your virtual machine(s) migrated at a later time or date, please send an e-mail to the address provided in the e-mail we had sent to you - we'll be happy to defer your migration to a more suitable time/date. The migration notice you had received is in regards to your VMware VM(s) only.

    The reason we are proceeding with this migration is to move your virtual machine(s) onto new hardware that has increased redundancy and provides greater upgrade options.

    Best regards,

    Ben Stones.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Notice of Migration

      Originally posted by ejsolutions View Post
      Hi,
      I received an email today from "Danny", with regards to moving VMs onto other hardware (again?!), on the 10th Dec.
      The Notice is not clear. Does this apply to vmware, eNlight and/or some other platform(s). Is this a generic email and only some of the Clusters are effected?

      I guess I better remember to change the root password to match your billing system, dropping security to zero, for a while! I don't understand why this is strictly needed, when a direct console access is available. Does this mean that Support will take the time to ensure that a web user isn't midway making a purchase on an e-commerce site? If not, then it's pointless and you'd be as well just "pulling the plug".

      Regards,
      EJ
      Hi,

      Apologies for the vagueness. Danny diverted from the template every so slightly. It was supposed to mention the cluster name (Cluster 3).

      We are basically migrating Cluster 3 into Cluster 5. Cluster 3 is getting a little bit older now and we ideally don't like to run servers that old in a Cloud environment.

      In regards to the password, it's not strictly needed, but it is useful. We are effectively moving your machine between a physical cluster and it will be routed entirely differently from a network point of view. Therefore, if your machine boots up and we notice some errors on screen, or it isn't responding to pings, we would like to be able to login and investigate that. A direct console access still requires a password to be entered.

      As Ben mentioned, you can also pick your own date/time for the migration as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Notice of Migration

        Thank you, John. I was surprised by Ben's response - I won't rub it in.
        Much clearer as to what & why. I'll see what I can come up with, that reduces downtime for clients around the world. 04:00 GMT is good for the UK but not Oz. As I'm sure that you're aware these next few weeks are THE busiest time for e-commerce sites and, in fact, I've deferred PHP/mySQL upgrades until January, for example.

        Regards,
        EJ
        sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
        (I'm not social )

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Notice of Migration

          Originally posted by ejsolutions View Post
          Thank you, John. I was surprised by Ben's response - I won't rub it in.
          Much clearer as to what & why. I'll see what I can come up with, that reduces downtime for clients around the world. 04:00 GMT is good for the UK but not Oz. As I'm sure that you're aware these next few weeks are THE busiest time for e-commerce sites and, in fact, I've deferred PHP/mySQL upgrades until January, for example.

          Regards,
          EJ
          We can be fairly flexible. Have a chat with Danny. We can probably do it in the new year if you find it easier. It's not mission critical by any means, but for those people who can plan around it, it does make our lives a little easier

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Notice of Migration

            Originally posted by John View Post
            We can be fairly flexible. Have a chat with Danny. We can probably do it in the new year if you find it easier. It's not mission critical by any means, but for those people who can plan around it, it does make our lives a little easier
            Will do.
            ((( Calms down, after initial panic reaction. )))
            sigpicManaged osCmax hosting
            (I'm not social )

            Comment

            Working...
            X