• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High server load

Looks like it's gone down again today.

Comment

Back up but still a bit slow, as it has been all day.

Comment

Originally posted by squidier View Post
        Looks like it's gone down again today.
        Back up but still a bit slow, as it has been all day.
        Hi Jane!

The storage is a bit slow at the moment as the VMs are starting up. We'll keep you posted on the status.
        Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

...and I can't start mysqld

Originally posted by Rock View Post
          Hi Jane!

The storage is a bit slow at the moment as the VMs are starting up. We'll keep you posted on the status.

Comment

Any updates? It's been 3 hours now - the service status page says fixing it would take minutes.

Comment

...and I can't start mysqld
              Hi Jane,

I can see that MySQL is back online now. Please let us know if you see any other problems with the services.

Comment

Any updates? It's been 3 hours now - the service status page says fixing it would take minutes.
                I've updated the status page. Please let me know if you still see any sluggishness with the servers.

Comment

It seems alright at the moment.
                  What was the problem?

Comment

It seems alright at the moment.
                    What was the problem?
                    Thank you for the confirmation Jane. We'll respond to you on the exact cause behind this.

Comment

I've seen a lot of high io wait times recently, this morning it was noticeably worse, live chat were as useless as ever so I logged a ticket to which no one bothered to reply, shortly after logging the ticket VM5 was dead for over an hour, 3 ecom sites down on one of the busiest weeks of the year!

All support want to do is log into our VM, that's not going to happen, the issue appeared to be either the network bandwidth to the SAN or the SAN itself, at times we were seeing 99% io wait on 4 cpu cores which threw the load up and jammed the server.

It seems to have settled now but as usual its too little too late...

This isn't the first time this has happened, if you can't get your act together we'll have to move to something more robust.

Comment

Again and again we are promised more updates when these things happen - but nothing changes.

I believe there may be some sort of hardware upgrades in progress - if that is true, now is the worst time of year for it to go ahead.

To make matters worse another server I have with Eukhost has now gone down. Not a good day.

Originally posted by woodpecker View Post
                        I've seen a lot of high io wait times recently, this morning it was noticeably worse, live chat were as useless as ever so I logged a ticket to which no one bothered to reply, shortly after logging the ticket VM5 was dead for over an hour, 3 ecom sites down on one of the busiest weeks of the year!

All support want to do is log into our VM, that's not going to happen, the issue appeared to be either the network bandwidth to the SAN or the SAN itself, at times we were seeing 99% io wait on 4 cpu cores which threw the load up and jammed the server.

It seems to have settled now but as usual its too little too late...

This isn't the first time this has happened, if you can't get your act together we'll have to move to something more robust.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
                          I've updated the status page. Please let me know if you still see any sluggishness with the servers.
                          My server does some backups overnight and I noticed that it reached very high loads a couple of times during the backup - this only happened very infrequently in the past, it happened 3 times last night.

Comment

Again and again we are promised more updates when these things happen - but nothing changes.

I believe there may be some sort of hardware upgrades in progress - if that is true, now is the worst time of year for it to go ahead.

To make matters worse another server I have with Eukhost has now gone down. Not a good day.
                            I think there is a serious issue with the io on VMC5, when the webalizer cron jobs ran at 5am the server just locked with a 1 minute load of 94, this is 4 CPU 10GHz cloud!

Time: Wed Dec 2 05:00:17 2015 +0000
                            1 Min Load Avg: 94.72
                            5 Min Load Avg: 31.03
                            15 Min Load Avg: 12.69

Also at 2:20 am the server locked solid running an overnight rsync job with crazy loads as below.

Time: Wed Dec 2 02:21:06 2015 +0000
                            1 Min Load Avg: 81.26
                            5 Min Load Avg: 70.29
                            15 Min Load Avg: 41.24

It looks to me like we are on a crippled or bandwidth limited SAN

Comment

And the support ticket answer from the clowns in India:-

"I'm afraid but we're not able to access your server via SSH"

Correct, and you're not having access, the SSH keys you try and install are deleted and the password and ports changed.

VMC5 seems to be served from a NodeFour data centre now, is this a recent change?

So, EUKhost, what EXACTLY have you done here, we pay extra for an SAS disk upgrade as well!

Comment

Anyone from EUKhost around?

YOU NEED TO FIX THE VMC5 IO PERFORMANCE

Here is a test of the super expensive cloud with extra money paid for SAS vs an EUKhost el cheapo VPS

VMC5 3 test runs gave a dismal 10.9 / 18.1 /26 MB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
                                1+0 records in
                                1+0 records out
                                1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 98.8213 seconds, 10.9 MB/s

Cheapo VPS

3 test runs 163 / 309 / 338 MB/s

dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
                                1+0 records in
                                1+0 records out
                                1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.17711 seconds, 338 MB/s

Comment

Working...
                                X