Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server down for first time in 18 months

HI,

My server has been down for nearly 1 hour and noone has noticed or contacted me, I thought they were monitored?

I was in a meeting with an important client and started getting one call after another from clients.

I've emailed dedicated support and no response. It's times like these when I really do need to rely on you to notice and fix things.

It's not happened before but I always dread a moment like this, hence not taking a holiday for 3 years.
    Cheap international calls from mobile phones >

Hi sihost,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your server downtime which is affecting your customers and your business. I have referred this thread to our Support Team urgently requesting a system administrator to check this thread. If you have submitted a ticket, please can you provide the Ticket ID here so the Linux Support Team member that checks this thread knows which ticket to look at.

Comment

ticket id
      #KXS-882-66778

no response from online chat either

What would I do if I was on holiday and no access to internet? This worries me. I thought you now had active monitoring?

Comment

Originally posted by sihost View Post
        ticket id
        #KXS-882-66778

no response from online chat either

What would I do if I was on holiday and no access to internet? This worries me. I thought you now had active monitoring?
        Sam R, one of our Senior Admin is working on your issue. He will update the ticket shortly and also provide you the reason for the downtime.

Comment

thanks

who's sam r?

Comment

Sam R is one of our Senior System Admin. He is working on your issue on priority basis. He will update the ticket shortly.

Comment

You shouldnt rely on EUK host to monitor, however good their service is.

We use host tracker, to monitor and audit our uptime. It also alerts you when servers are down - simply setup a forward email alert to [email protected] when the service indicates a server is down.

I do disagree with your statement of "what if im on holiday" - its down to you to manage communications to clients where ever you are. If its a power outage and your on holiday do your customers sit their without info? I know my clients would find the entirely unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by bedotnet View Post
                You shouldnt rely on EUK host to monitor, however good their service is.

We use host tracker, to monitor and audit our uptime. It also alerts you when servers are down - simply setup a forward email alert to support [@] eukhost.com when the service indicates a server is down.

I do disagree with your statement of "what if im on holiday" - its down to you to manage communications to clients where ever you are. If its a power outage and your on holiday do your customers sit their without info? I know my clients would find the entirely unacceptable.
                In your post you make too many assumptions with no regards to the stress I'm under while this is being looked at.

1. Yes we do have server monitoring with Pingdom and I became aware the server was down immediately. However, I was in a meeting with an important client.

2. We also have euk monitoring wihich does email dedicated email address at eukhost. I assumed this would alert them to the problem. I emailed them as soon as I came out of the meeting, but heard nothing so I posted here.

3. The "if I was on holiday" statement was not related to my clients, I would communicate with them as I am doing now, by text message,they all have a direct mobile number. I was simply referring to me having to notify euk one of their servers is down.

I get fantastic service from EUK and fully manage my own server most of the time, it's just moments like this I feel helpless as I can't get a connection! I can only communicate to my clients what I know, and it's nothing at the moment (after 2 hours)

Comment

also, it won't be a power outage as MK have dual power connections and backup generators, so they would kick in within a few minutes

Comment

This has now been resolved with thanks to Sam R.

bedotnet, thanks for your suggestion of adding EUK to our pingdom alerts, I've enquired about this and ways we could improve notification of a server going down just incase I am unable to email the support team straight away.

Comment

This has now been resolved with thanks to Sam R.
                      Hello Simon,

Your server is already adding in our IRC monitoring & a quick action was taken from our side when the server reported down in our monitoring. The server took time to come up just because of the kernel panic issue.
                      Regards,
                      Sam
                      System Admin

Comment

Originally posted by eukSam View Post
                        Hello Simon,

Your server is already adding in our IRC monitoring & a quick action was taken from our side when the server reported down in our monitoring. The server took time to come up just because of the kernel panic issue.
                        OK thanks Sam, that's good to know.
                        It went down at 12.52, I hadn't heard anything by 1.30 so I emailed as clients were onto me!
                        Did it show on your IRC at 12.52

Pleased it's sorted though. I knew once you got onto it, it would be sorted!

Comment

OK thanks Sam, that's good to know.
                          It went down at 12.52, I hadn't heard anything by 1.30 so I emailed as clients were onto me!
                          Did it show on your IRC at 12.52

Pleased it's sorted though. I knew once you got onto it, it would be sorted!
                          I have replied to your ticket on this issue. Please check the ticket.
                          Regards,
                          Sam
                          System Admin

Comment

Glad everything is swiftly sorted for you sihost .

Comment

Glad to see that your problem has been sorted sihost .
                              David Smith
                              Managing Director
                              DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                              - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Working...
                              X