Server Hostnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Hostnames

I now have 2 dedicated server, and want to distinguish one from the other when they send me emails.

I am presuming I can change the hostnames to anything I want, but just wanted to ask here first before I do..

At the moment server 1 is server.blahblah.com and server 2 is still on server.localhost.com.

So putting it short, can i just change these to something like

serverone.blahblah.com
    servertwo.blahblah.com

and is anything affected if I change them?

Cheers

Eoin

Hello Eoin,

You may indeed use the name servers of your choice.
    | |
    Best Paying offered by Eukhost Ltd.

Comment

Hi Eoin,

You will need to create DNS records for the hostnames before you set those on the server. Please edit the DNS records of the domain name "blahblah.com" and add A record for serverone and servertwo. Make sure you point the A records to the IP address of respective server.

If you don't add A records, then the email service on both the servers will get affected.
      eUKhost - eNlight Cloud Hosting || eUKhost Knowledgebase
      Toll Free : 0808 262 0255 || Skype : mark_ducadi

Comment

Yes, you can change the hostname of the server at any point of time, however, this will effect a few things and you need to take care of them. If you have cPanel or any other control panel installed, you will have to update it. You will also have to update the mailserver settings and if you have configured emails on outlook etc, you will have to change those settings.

Comment

Originally posted by eUKhost.com View Post
          Hi Eoin,

You will need to create DNS records for the hostnames before you set those on the server. Please edit the DNS records of the domain name "blahblah.com" and add A record for serverone and servertwo. Make sure you point the A records to the IP address of respective server.

If you don't add A records, then the email service on both the servers will get affected.
          OK, I actually changed the hostname on server 2, 109.203.104.238, to servertwo.stapolinhosting.com

Nameserver ns3.stapolinhosting.com and ns4.stapolinhosting.com were registered fo rthe Servers 2 ip's, I also changed same in WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup and assigned each an IP address.

I added A enrties for each nameserver as follows:

ns1.stapolinhosting.com / A Entry - 109.203.104.238
          ns2.stapolinhosting.com / A Entry - 109.203.104.239

Is this enought done, or should I done something further to ensure email etc is not affected?

Cheers guys

Eoin

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine View Post
            You will also have to update the mailserver settings and if you have configured emails on outlook etc, you will have to change those settings.
            Im not 100% sure what you mean here..

The way I normally do it, is set up a hosting account (just like any other) and set my email acounts within that.. ie: hosting account for domain name testdomain.com - domain names would have emails [email protected] etc..

DO I need to change something else on the server to ensure emails from each hosting account work, or will what I have done (as above) be ok since the only emails I want from the server are the updates, errors and warnings etc.

Comment

Originally posted by stapolinhost View Post
              OK, I actually changed the hostname on server 2, 109.203.104.238, to servertwo.stapolinhosting.com

Nameserver ns3.stapolinhosting.com and ns4.stapolinhosting.com were registered fo rthe Servers 2 ip's, I also changed same in WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup and assigned each an IP address.

I added A enrties for each nameserver as follows:

ns1.stapolinhosting.com / A Entry - 109.203.104.238
              ns2.stapolinhosting.com / A Entry - 109.203.104.239

Is this enought done, or should I done something further to ensure email etc is not affected?

Cheers guys

Eoin
              Hello Eoin,

Settings you have mentioned are correct, but it seems that you haven't added the A record for for the hostname "servertwo.stapolinhosting.com" pointing to the main IP address of the second server.
              As ping report shows "unknown host "
              ====
              [[email protected] ~]# ping servertwo.stapolinhosting.com
              ping: unknown host servertwo.stapolinhosting.com
              [[email protected] ~]#
              ====

You have to add this "A" record for hostname "servertwo.stapolinhosting.com" pointing to the main IP address of the second server. You have to add this A record on the primary server where dns for "stapolinhosting.com" domain is hosted.

Ping report for the hostname "servertwo.stapolinhosting.com" must shows the IP address of your secondary servers main IP.

If you want just PM me your server details I will do all the necessary hostname changes for you.
              RsyNc.
              Support Team

Comment

PM Sent

And just for the record.... My name is Eoin (Pronounced as Owen)

Thats twice today I have been called a name other than my own LOL

Thanks Rsyns... your help is very much appreciated indeed

Comment

Originally posted by stapolinhost View Post
                  PM Sent

And just for the record.... My name is Eoin (Pronounced as Owen)

Thats twice today I have been called a name other than my own LOL

Thanks Rsyns... your help is very much appreciated indeed
                  Hello Eoin,

I apologize for the mistake in name. I have corrected in my last reply .

I have added the necessary DNS A record for the hostname. It's also responding fine to the main IP address of the correct server.

I have replied you with the full detail in your PM. Please check it once and if you need any more please reply back.

:smile:
                  RsyNc.
                  Support Team

Comment

Originally posted by Rsync View Post
                    Hello Eoin,

I apologize for the mistake in name. I have corrected in my last reply .
                    No need to apoligise

I have added the necessary DNS A record for the hostname. It's also responding fine to the main IP address of the correct server.

I have replied you with the full detail in your PM. Please check it once and if you need any more please reply back.

:smile:
                    Looking good from here... Thank you very much indeed

Comment

Glad you got it all sorted Eoin. And glad that we're all getting your name right eventually lol.
                      David Smith
                      Managing Director
                      DPS Computing Limited

- Massive update! (September 2011) - It's now not neglected!!
                      - New Site (10/2009)

Comment

Working...
                      X