Optimising DNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimising DNS

Hi, I have noticed sometimes the website take a while to load, although most of the time its all fine. It seems to depends where I am. Anyway, doing some speed measurements in google Chrosme seeing where time gets taken up, all speeds on there look good. I also use WebPageTest.org, sometimes a page load time could be 5 seconds. There is a lot of things outside of the website that get loaded, its just vBulletin which take up quite a few resources, hence the dedicated server. Anyway, not to worry about all that, just wanted to give a bit of background.

I used something called Dynatrace.com done a speed test on the website.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DNS-Time.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	160438
    As you can see the DNS took 1.4 seconds. Not good at all.

The time in web page tests, the DNS time is far better, I've been trying different zones and the DNS look up appears to be fine. HTML page serves in 384ms including DNS lookup.

Name:	DNS-Time-WebPageTest.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	160439

After seeing the Dynatrace.com report I wanted to investigate my DNS setup. Is it correct etc.. Its on the eUKHost dedicated server. I set them up myself, mainly copying from my previous website that was hosted on a Windows Server. So as I have had an input on the DNS settings I am doubting my ability to get it correct.

So I tried a 'Domain Health Report' tool from Ultratools.

Name:	Domain-Health-Report.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	160440
    Many warmings.

Name servers have the same NS record list as parent zone
    WARNING
    The NS records from ns.solent-renegades.co.uk are different from the parent zone.
    The NS records from ns2.solent-renegades.co.uk are different from the parent zone.
    Description: Check that authoritative name servers present the same name server list as the parent zone. For more information, please consult the following RFC's: RFC 1034, RFC 1035

Glue records are consistent between the parent zone and authoritative name servers
    WARNING
    The glue record ns2.solent-renegades.co.uk/5.77.47.66 did not match an IP from an authoritative server.
    Description: Check that the addresses provided by the authoritative name servers for the glue records match those from the parent zone. For more information, please consult the following RFC's: RFC 1912

Name servers have reverse DNS entries
    WARNING
    Reverse DNS entries were found for 5.77.47.66 but did not point back to the name server ns.solent-renegades.co.uk.
    Description: Reverse DNS records allow for translation of an IP address back to a domain name. If reverse DNS entries are not present, or do not point back to the nameserver host, reverse lookups may not be possible or accurate. It is common practice for Internet applications, such as email services seeking to identify SPAM, to validate the origin of a request using a reverse lookup as a check and balance for the server in question. For more information, please consult the following RFC's: RFC 1033

SOA serial numbers have valid format
    WARNING
    The serial value of 1413833187 does not match the recommended yyyymmddxx format.
    Description: Check the SOA serial number from each authoritative name server for validity. For more information, please consult the following RFC's: RFC 1034, RFC 1035, RFC 1982

SPF record is present
    WARNING
    TXT records were found containing SPF information. No SPF records were found.
    Description: It is considered a best practice to specify an SPF resource record for your domain, or to specify a TXT record with SPF information in it. SPF (Sender Policy Framework) allows a domain owner to explicitly authorize the hosts that are allowed to use its domain name. Receiving mail servers may check the SPF of other domains, to determine from where (if at all) it should be receiving email. E-mail on the Internet can be forged in a number of ways. In particular, existing protocols place no restriction on what a sending host can use as the reverse-path of a message or the domain given on the SMTP HELO/EHLO commands. SPF records are a means of enforcing against such forgery. For more information, please consult the following RFC's: RFC 4408, RFC 1035

Many more... well 14 warnings, perhaps not all that matter. but perhaps clearing up the warnings, it may give me a speed increase. I have edited some of the DNS settings and left it 24 hours, but it doesn't seem clear the warnings.
    These are my DNS settings, is there any thing I can tweak to clear the warnings?

*.webmail.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME solent-renegades.co.uk.
    5.77.47.66 / 24 PTR solent-renegades.co.uk.
    attachments.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME cdn.transamdan.netdna-cdn.com.
    avatars.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME cdn.transamdan.netdna-cdn.com.
    cdn.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME cdn.transamdan.netdna-cdn.com.
    cloudfilter.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME roundhay.cloudfilter.eu.
    ftp.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME solent-renegades.co.uk.
    images.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME cdn.transamdan.netdna-cdn.com.
    ipv4.solent-renegades.co.uk. A 5.77.47.66
    mail.solent-renegades.co.uk. A 5.77.47.66
    mail2.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME fallbackmx.cloudfilter.eu.
    members.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME cdn.transamdan.netdna-cdn.com.
    ns.solent-renegades.co.uk. A 5.77.47.66
    ns2.solent-renegades.co.uk. A 5.77.47.66
    server.solent-renegades.co.uk. A 5.77.47.66
    signature.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME cdn.transamdan.netdna-cdn.com.
    smtp.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME solent-renegades.co.uk.
    solent-renegades.co.uk. NS ns2.solent-renegades.co.uk.
    solent-renegades.co.uk. NS ns.solent-renegades.co.uk.
    solent-renegades.co.uk. A 5.77.47.66
    solent-renegades.co.uk. MX (20) fallbackmx.cloudfilter.eu.
    solent-renegades.co.uk. MX (10) firstmx.cloudfilter.eu.
    solent-renegades.co.uk. TXT v=spf1 +a +mx -all
    static.solent-renegades.co.uk. CNAME cdn.transamdan.netdna-cdn.com.
    webmail.solent-renegades.co.uk. A 5.77.47.66
    Solent Renegades Car Club. A 5.77.47.66

Thanks
    Dan.

Re: DNS Optimising

Hi Dan!

The DNS records & other settings associated with this domain appear to be correct. I've made few minor changes, which will remove the SOA record related warnings. You might want to check this link for similar checks.

I also performed few tests related to the website speed & DNS records after these changes were done & there were lesser warnings than earlier. You can check the website's speed test here & DNS tests here. The recommendations stated in their Performance Grade & Page Analysis of the website speed test will help you understand the exact reasons behind slow load time. The DNS server test recommends "Only one IPv4 name server was found for the zone. You should always have at least two IPv4 name servers for a zone to be able to handle transient connectivity problems" which can be overcome by adding another IP address (of a different subnet/ASN) to your server, thus protecting it against a single point of failure.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance or information on this.
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Thanks Jack, those website links will certainly come in handy for testing.

Okay I may need help on the IPv4 name servers. At the moment both point to the same IP address, I see in Plesk I have another IP address which is just 1 number up, however this will be on the same subnet. I do have windows hosting somewhere else, I may be able to use that account as a secondary DNS server, is this what you meant? or is there another way to have another IPv4 on the dedicated server. I guess if the website falls over then its a single point of failure anyway.

Thanks
      Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmDan View Post
        Thanks Jack, those website links will certainly come in handy for testing.
        You are welcome Dan

I do have windows hosting somewhere else, I may be able to use that account as a secondary DNS server, is this what you meant?
        Yes, you can add a record in your Windows server hosting & use it as a secondary name server for this domain hosted on the Linux server. In this case, if the DNS server installed on the Linux server fails, the domain will continue to resolve using the records from the Windows host. All you'd need to do is just update this newly created record at the domain registrar level. If you can provide us with the relevant access details, we'll be happy to do this for you correctly..

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
          Yes, you can add a record in your Windows server hosting & use it as a secondary name server for this domain hosted on the Linux server. In this case, if the DNS server installed on the Linux server fails, the domain will continue to resolve using the records from the Windows host. All you'd need to do is just update this newly created record at the domain registrar level. If you can provide us with the relevant access details, we'll be happy to do this for you correctly..
          I guess it will be more than one record in the Windows account, do I just go though each one in the list adding them exactly the same? I can do that, that's simple enough.

As for the NS records at the domain registrar, I have access to that, so I can adjust to the following.
          ns.solent-renegades.co.uk - keeping that the same as existing, and remove ns2.solent-renegades.co.uk.
          ns1.welcometothenetwork.com - 95.154.221.3
          ns2.welcometothenetwork.com - 78.129.137.144

I wouldn't mind doing this myself, as its all part of learning. Only pooped in primary DNS settings in the past, never has to set up secondary. It looks like my windows hosting has its own primary and secondary, so cant hurt to have 3 NS records.

So I guess the only question is, do I manually replicate all DNS entries on the windows server, I know you mentioned 'yes, you can add A record' did you mean just one record? if so which one?

Many thanks for your help on this, its great to hear from someone who knows the in/outs of it all.

Comment

I guess it will be more than one record in the Windows account, do I just go though each one in the list adding them exactly the same? I can do that, that's simple enough.

As for the NS records at the domain registrar, I have access to that, so I can adjust to the following.
            ns.solent-renegades.co.uk - keeping that the same as existing, and remove ns2.solent-renegades.co.uk.
            ns1.welcometothenetwork.com - 95.154.221.3
            ns2.welcometothenetwork.com - 78.129.137.144

I wouldn't mind doing this myself, as its all part of learning. Only pooped in primary DNS settings in the past, never has to set up secondary. It looks like my windows hosting has its own primary and secondary, so cant hurt to have 3 NS records.

So I guess the only question is, do I manually replicate all DNS entries on the windows server, I know you mentioned 'yes, you can add A record' did you mean just one record? if so which one?

Many thanks for your help on this, its great to hear from someone who knows the in/outs of it all.
            Hi Dan,

You can remove ns2.solent-renegades.co.uk [5.77.47.66] from the existing configuration & add ns3.welcometothenetwork.com [78.129.137.144] as your secondary NS at the domain registrar level. Once done, you should replicate the DNS zone of solent-renegades.co.uk from 5.77.47.66 to 78.129.137.144 so that any request coming to 78.129.137.144 for solent-renegades.co.uk should show the A record of the website as 5.77.47.66.

We can get all of this done quickly, if at all it seems challenging to you..

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
              We can get all of this done quickly, if at all it seems challenging to you..
              Well I started to give it ago, but I think I will get in a pickle. If you don't mind taking a look it would be must appreciated. I have PM'ed you the details.

Many Thanks
              Dan.

Comment

Well I started to give it ago, but I think I will get in a pickle. If you don't mind taking a look it would be must appreciated. I have PM'ed you the details.

Many Thanks
                Dan.
                Hi Dan! I've replied to your PM

Comment

Thanks ever so much for doing that. All looks like its working well at present.
                  I know you didn't have to do that for me as its not on your server, but you have really gone out of your way to help a customer. Its very much appreciated.

Thanks again
                  Dan.

Comment

Thanks ever so much for doing that. All looks like its working well at present.
                    I know you didn't have to do that for me as its not on your server, but you have really gone out of your way to help a customer. Its very much appreciated.

Thanks again
                    Dan.
                    You are most welcome Dan. eUKhost's top priority has always been to ensure 100% customer satisfaction irrespective of whatever it takes! Please feel free to get in touch anytime with out support staff if you have any queries or notice any issues with your site/s & we'll be happy to assist you with

Comment

I was rerunning the DNS tests, perhaps things are still updating, at the moment they are showing error, is this normal?
                      DNS check tool

Webpage appears to be working fine from here. The messages appear to be to do with delegation.

Comment

I was rerunning the DNS tests, perhaps things are still updating, at the moment they are showing error, is this normal?
                        DNS check tool

Webpage appears to be working fine from here. The messages appear to be to do with delegation.
                        Dear Dan,

The DNS changes take some time to update globally. But I also noticed that this DNS checker tool is displaying incorrect information about the 'delegation' part. The intoDNS DNS check tool shows everything setup correctly. It might take some more time for Pingdom to get the records fetched in real time. How are you finding the performance/speed of the website now? Please share your feedback so we can make customers aware of such optimum settings for making the most of out it.

Comment

The website speed does seem faster now, the websites that was reporting a slow DNS look up are showing it as being fast now. I also installed something on the web server called Dynatrace, it basically shows how long it takes for the PHP page to be generated along with database accesses to create that page. I made some optimisations to that, the going though pages especially the car show gallery have improved.
                          I guess things are still settling. I am having a bit of trouble with email, which is very probable its related. I am still getting emails coming in, but seem less than usual, also if I send from my web-hosting.co.uk account (my own domain on the windows web server which has the new DNS server) the email bounces back right away. The MX records look correct, I havn't changed anything. Perhaps where is on the same server its using that DNS server for MX lookup.
                          @ MX (Mail Exchange Record) firstmx.cloudfilter.eu.[10]

@ MX (Mail Exchange Record) fallbackmx.cloudfilter.eu.[20]
                          Should it be an @ at the beginning? It looks the same as the Plesk setup.

The test email response.
                          Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
                          Sent: 24/10/2014 14:08

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'[email protected]' on 24/10/2014 14:08
                          Server error: '550 <[email protected]> No such user here'

Comment

The website speed does seem faster now, the websites that was reporting a slow DNS look up are showing it as being fast now. I also installed something on the web server called Dynatrace, it basically shows how long it takes for the PHP page to be generated along with database accesses to create that page. I made some optimisations to that, the going though pages especially the car show gallery have improved.
                            I guess things are still settling. I am having a bit of trouble with email, which is very probable its related. I am still getting emails coming in, but seem less than usual, also if I send from my web-hosting.co.uk account (my own domain on the windows web server which has the new DNS server) the email bounces back right away. The MX records look correct, I havn't changed anything. Perhaps where is on the same server its using that DNS server for MX lookup.

Should it be an @ at the beginning? It looks the same as the Plesk setup.

The test email response.
                            Dear Dan,

We're very happy to see the website is performing well than earlier!

Regarding the problems with the emails, I see that the MX records for solent-renegades.co.uk are correct from the DNS perspective. When you send an email from the Windows server (web-hosting.co.uk) intended to Linux one (solent-renegades.co.uk), it's bouncing back immediately (with the "no such user here") as the Windows server is thinking that solent-renegades.co.uk is hosted locally on it, but the fact it being on the Linux box. What you can do here is disable local email delivery specifically for this solent-renegades.co.uk domain, such that when you send email from web-hosting.co.uk to solent-renegades.co.uk it'll not try to deliver locally, but search for MX on DNS & then deliver it on your Linux server.

Please let me know if you need any assistance with this..

Comment

Thanks for the info Jack, you were right, it routed it for local delivery. The DNS server I was using is linked to a complete web hosting account, which indeed has email included. I removed the self generated email account, and hey presto, emails are coming in fine. Thanks for that steer in the right direction.

Speed wise the website is performing well, and also held up for the load test, simulated 50 users viewing many pages per minute. Processor usage went up to 0.80, which I'm quite happy with. I used a load test from BlazeMeter. Pages returned fully loaded in around around 2200ms. However an identical test(same pages) back in June returned pages in 1300ms. So there is some further settings somewhere, but this could be the caching agent, VBulletin or plugins which have all been updated since then. I will keep on looking in other areas. At least the DNS is the best it can be. It could even be that BlazeMeter has changed their measuring procedure since then. It certainly feels faster when navigating the website on various computers, laptops, and mobile devices.

Many Thanks for your help.
                              Dan.

Comment

Working...
                              X