Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Optimising DNS

Originally posted by TransAmDan View Post
    Its all interesting stuff. I work in programming, but mainly micro-controllers, FPGA and a few bits in visual basic on the PC, and quite a bit in ASP, but not done much on Linux. Its good to know the topology on how it comes together. I like to optimise things to make them most efficient as possible, I guess that comes from the micro controller back ground, writing all code in assembly language to get optimum performance.
    In the past the website has fallen over during busy times, by the sounds of how nGinx works, it gives a buffer so the httpd process can release memory and get on with something else while the smaller memory module of nGinx can deliver the page to the client.
    I do have some optimisation settings in vBulletin, written by DragonByte its called 'vboptimise' it basically knows if you are a visitor to the website and caches that page for 10 mins, so if someone else requests that page, it delivers it direct from cash, saving the PHP generation. This did dramatically speed up the page delivery.
    Xcache was also a great add-on, speeding up the generation of all pages to people who are logged onto the website. I think I have good settings to Xcache, if anything I have reserved too much RAM, but as I have 4GB reserving 512Mb for xCache isn't too bad.
    I do notice the server is using less RAM now, usually it sits around 2Gb, at the moment its only 1.1Gb of use RAM. So it seems the changes have made a difference.
    Is there any further enhancements that can be made?

The website is quite seasonal, at the moment its around 2000 page views per day. In April this year we had 20,044 page views in one day, there was a similar amount in July too, so I try to prepare for the rush and keep the website up.

There is something I will look into today, but I think its more of the question for MaxCDN. If the image isn't in their cache it takes ages to load.
    For example, if you load http://www.solent-renegades.co.uk/at...chmentid=42017 it comes up really quick.
    If you go to http://cdn.solent-renegades.co.uk/at...chmentid=42017 it will probably also come up quick as its now in their cache, but change the image number to another that isn't in their cache, perhaps 40000 it takes a while, as it has to fetch it from the site and then serve it from their service. I've never noticed it being that slow before, it may be config at their end, or its having trouble getting the image from our web-server quickly.

Thanks
    Dan.
    Dear Dan,

How about having the CDN removed (temporarily for a week or so) to check the performance delivered by the website which will work 100% from this server itself? This way we can benchmark the server's & nGinx's output performance too, which will be beneficial for us to decide whether to continue with the CDN or with nGinx..
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

If only the CDN was easy to switch off it would be an interested test. I've edited many files and many templates, its not easy to flick between the modified and unmodified versions. It takes a bit of bandwidth load off the server for include files and images. I think for now we will keep the way it is at the moment with nGinx serving all the pages.

Looking back at the DNS, there is still some issues in there. You offered to log into 123-reg.co.uk to make sure the NS is set up correctly, so I will PM you the details for this. You still have the details for my windows hosting for the secondary DNS config. A few Glue errors showing up intoDNS: solent-renegades.co.uk - check DNS server and mail server health also quite a few in red on this page, DNS check tool
      So if you are still keen to take a look and clear the errors it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks again.
      Dan.

Comment

If only the CDN was easy to switch off it would be an interested test. I've edited many files and many templates, its not easy to flick between the modified and unmodified versions. It takes a bit of bandwidth load off the server for include files and images. I think for now we will keep the way it is at the moment with nGinx serving all the pages.

Looking back at the DNS, there is still some issues in there. You offered to log into 123-reg.co.uk to make sure the NS is set up correctly, so I will PM you the details for this. You still have the details for my windows hosting for the secondary DNS config. A few Glue errors showing up intoDNS: solent-renegades.co.uk - check DNS server and mail server health also quite a few in red on this page, DNS check tool
        So if you are still keen to take a look and clear the errors it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks again.
        Dan.
        Dear Dan,

No problems with keeping the CDN, I just wanted to point out that the images which are being pulled up from there remotely are taking some amount of time (due to their size or network latency) & causing a major delay in rendering the site. We can have the images optimised (as suggested here) upto certain amount so that the site loads faster than what its doing now. I do understand that the CDN is necessary & have checked the image caching as per your earlier responses, it's doing it's job properly..

Regarding the DNS, I've made few changes (details in your PM) at your domain registrar (123reg) level & all the errors are now gone! I'll still work on optimising it further, as to having a failover kind of a solution. We'll test this on Saturday/Sunday as I'm out of town today/tonight..

Comment

Hi Jack,
          Thanks ever so much for doing the DNS on 123-reg.co.uk, you made short work of that. I knew they had DNS but I never thought to actually use it, lol. Its certainly cleaned up all the errors.

I've changed the Album gallery pages to use the non CDN version for the larger pages, and indeed it does load faster. It is strange why it could take 6 seconds to server from CDN until its caches and 500mS once caches. If serving direct from the website its around 800mS. You would think for it to cache it gotta send the image to the CDN and then send it back to the user, so perhaps 2 or 3 seconds. Unless the CDN is having trouble taking it from the web server. I cant interrogate the working of the CDN to get timings from their server. This may be one for another day. Once its cached it whizzy, its just getting it to cache is slow.

Have you heard of mod_pagespeed? its supplied by google, not sure if I have it on the server, if I so its disabled, it used to be on the VPS. I'm wondering on your thoughts on it, it seems to make the php generation slower, but sped up other things. I guess I need to find a happy balance. What it does it resize images and compress them, and store them away (memcache / file store) so when that page is called again it sends an optimised version, also combines CSS and javascript. Its an amazing bit of programming. I may be tempted to enable it again at some point. I wont do it yet, as I will let you carry on with your optimisation first.

Thanks
          Dan.

Comment

Hi Jack,
            Thanks ever so much for doing the DNS on 123-reg.co.uk, you made short work of that. I knew they had DNS but I never thought to actually use it, lol. Its certainly cleaned up all the errors.

I've changed the Album gallery pages to use the non CDN version for the larger pages, and indeed it does load faster. It is strange why it could take 6 seconds to server from CDN until its caches and 500mS once caches. If serving direct from the website its around 800mS. You would think for it to cache it gotta send the image to the CDN and then send it back to the user, so perhaps 2 or 3 seconds. Unless the CDN is having trouble taking it from the web server. I cant interrogate the working of the CDN to get timings from their server. This may be one for another day. Once its cached it whizzy, its just getting it to cache is slow.

Have you heard of mod_pagespeed? its supplied by google, not sure if I have it on the server, if I so its disabled, it used to be on the VPS. I'm wondering on your thoughts on it, it seems to make the php generation slower, but sped up other things. I guess I need to find a happy balance. What it does it resize images and compress them, and store them away (memcache / file store) so when that page is called again it sends an optimised version, also combines CSS and javascript. Its an amazing bit of programming. I may be tempted to enable it again at some point. I wont do it yet, as I will let you carry on with your optimisation first.

Thanks
            Dan.
            Dear Dan,

I see that the pagespeed Apache module has been enabled on your server. Also, if you check this link (live pagespeed report) you'd be able to see that most of the server side optimisations are now done, the remaining ones are CDN related. If you click on the 'Show Fix' link there, it'll suggest what can be done in order to get the website working faster..

Comment

Hi Jack,
              Yes was busy Sunday night tinkering is the mod_pagespeed, adjusting various things like image compression. The time to send out the php/html file is still pretty good. I'm quite happy with the way it is going. I will do a few more adjustments on it when I have more time. Overall I'm happy, and the original question of speeding up the DNS has all played a part in getting it whizzy.
              The was an outage on the CDN yesterday about 4pm, which has never happened in the 2 years I've had it, this of course created many issues for the website, and it wasn't a quick solution to not use CDN, I should put in an option to turn of CDN on the website, as there has been a couple of times where I wanted to turn it off for testing, but means editing many templates to do so.
              Since MaxCDN directed traffic away from their london edge server to Amsterdam it seems a whole lot quicker, or may be my imagination.
              I've been using the Pagespeed Insights test for some time, and the main delays are the serving of adverts which I cant really do much about unless I disable them, and by doing that I wouldn't be able to fund the dedicated server, so I will need to put up with that.

You have been a great help in tweaking things and steering me in the right direction.

Next issue is R1Soft backup but I will start another thread for that at some point, as it seems between 2am and 7am the the website can be unreachable as the CPU usage is 800%. Anyway I'll start another thread for that.

Comment

Hi Jack,
                Yes was busy Sunday night tinkering is the mod_pagespeed, adjusting various things like image compression. The time to send out the php/html file is still pretty good. I'm quite happy with the way it is going. I will do a few more adjustments on it when I have more time. Overall I'm happy, and the original question of speeding up the DNS has all played a part in getting it whizzy.
                The was an outage on the CDN yesterday about 4pm, which has never happened in the 2 years I've had it, this of course created many issues for the website, and it wasn't a quick solution to not use CDN, I should put in an option to turn of CDN on the website, as there has been a couple of times where I wanted to turn it off for testing, but means editing many templates to do so.
                Since MaxCDN directed traffic away from their london edge server to Amsterdam it seems a whole lot quicker, or may be my imagination.
                I've been using the Pagespeed Insights test for some time, and the main delays are the serving of adverts which I cant really do much about unless I disable them, and by doing that I wouldn't be able to fund the dedicated server, so I will need to put up with that.

You have been a great help in tweaking things and steering me in the right direction.

Next issue is R1Soft backup but I will start another thread for that at some point, as it seems between 2am and 7am the the website can be unreachable as the CPU usage is 800%. Anyway I'll start another thread for that.
                You are most welcome Dan! Hope you had an awesome weekend tweaking the website inorder to make it perform

Strangely I didn't hear about the outage at MaxCDN last weekend, but have noticed AMS-IX (Amsterdam Internet Exchange) has faster network routing than LINX (London Internet Exchange) here, the difference being ~1 Tbits/sec. The need of switching between using a CDN & serving content locally is helpful in such unforeseen incidents. We should have 2 copies of sites (one serving data from the CDN, while the other locally), this way if you want to switch over to local content, you can change the path in the Apache webserver to look for a local data serving site (instead of CDN). It'd be easy to do once the templates are changed to reflect the correct paths.

Regarding the PageSpeed results, I see a lot of improvements from the recent changes & the site runs much faster now! The ADs don't affect it much though..

You can open up a support ticket regarding the R1Soft & one of our backup & monitoring team members will get that sorted out for you quickly.

Please feel free to let us know if you notice any more issues with our hosting services & we'll be glad to assist you with them!

Comment

Working...
                X