VPS vs Shared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPS vs Shared

We currently host our website on a VPS account having moved from shared hosting about a year or so ago. Qualitatively, there doesn't seem to be much difference (except for the cost!), so is there any way of qualitatively measuring whether there is any benefit (e.g. page/site loading speed, etc) in paying so much more for VPS? I would be interested in hearing from other users rather than just a marketing reply about the theoretical benefits.
    Thanks.

Can't answer unless we know your site stats. What was the reason for you to opt for VPS when you were on a shared plan?

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your reply. The reason we needed to make the change was that we are a school and need to send emails to all of our students from time to time, which can be a large number. We batch them so that there are not more than the max number specified by EUKHost per hour, so the emails go out at hourly intervals of 65 per batch. On shared hosting this was causing a problem being flagged as spam. I have to say that another school runs exactly the same system on another of EUKHost's servers with no problems so it seems that the application of rules by EUK was not equitable. Anyhow, that was the reason, and since being on VPS the issue has not arisen again. However, other than that there seems to be no performance advantage using VPS (although it is sold as having one), so we may reconsider continuing with EUKHost next time our hosting is due for renewal.

Comment

Please PM me your VPS IP address. I'll get this checked along with your previous shared hosting account issue related to emails.
        Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
        Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
        Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Ryan,

Hi. Thanks for your reply and assistance. I have sent you a PM.

Comment

With shared hosting, you have limited admin access and can't customize software configurations, while with VPS hosting plan you can receive all the power of dedicated hosting with the limited ability to have your own set of available resources and design disk space. You can perform any actions from your CPanel and no need to contact technical support with every single request.

Comment

Hi Guarav,

Thanks for your post. I do understand the advantages of VPS in principle. What I am concerned about is whether we are getting any performance differential using VPS against shared hosting. Qualitatively, it doesn't seem like it, but we don't know how to quantitatively measure the actual difference if at all possible. I'm talking about page load times, php execution times, etc

Comment

Hi Guarav,

Thanks for your post. I do understand the advantages of VPS in principle. What I am concerned about is whether we are getting any performance differential using VPS against shared hosting. Qualitatively, it doesn't seem like it, but we don't know how to quantitatively measure the actual difference if at all possible. I'm talking about page load times, php execution times, etc. I don't know how we could go about measuring this.

Comment

Working...
                X