Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPS problems - advice needed

Hello,

I need some advice, an overview of how to get some problems sorted with my VPS. I don't want to waste the Support staff time by submitting multiple tickets especially when the problems might have a common denominator.

Some history - my domain was hosted on eukhost shared hosting and although the website was still under early development, the Support staff had the hosting working really well. It was very fast, responsive when uploading files, viewing web pages, using email with PHP, and MySQL was great. Unfortunately it wouldn't have been able to support the expected web traffic.

About two weeks ago I ordered Linux Enterprise VPS running Centos and frankly its been a nightmare.

The server has so many problems, and even though Support staff have done lots of work, it just seems the server is broken, something badly wrong, especially with some intermittent problems.

For instance:-

1) Uploading files using Dreamweaver. On shared hosting they upload instantly and the web page can be viewed immediately. On this VPS, it often takes 15 to 30 seconds, with a "waiting for server" message. Even when uploaded, and I check using cPanel file manager, they often don't appear in the directory for several minutes. A Support staff member did work on this, optmized the server, but since then its reverted to having these problems. I've checked and it seems to be a problem with .php files.

2) Pinging the server - 109.203.102.204, often has timeouts before the ping time settles to 20mS or so.

3) PHP, getting PEAR email to work has still failed. Support staff got it working very quickly on shared hosting. However, with this VPS, several Support staff have put a lot of effort into fixing multiple problems in PHP etc, yet its still not working. To me, from some error logs, it appears that something is missing from the PEAR setup.

By the way. I have tested accessing the website using several computers, plus a mobile phone, and it has problems on all of them. Whereas the shared hosting was great on them all.

Sometimes I feel a fresh VPS might work better but I'm getting desperate.

Its obviously very complex, I'm not an expert, and have to rely on WHM and cPanel to monitor things.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Support staff have done really well, PEAR email is now working fine, thank you

Comment

Dear Malcolm,

Glad to know our support staff could resolve the issue Please feel free to contact us anytime should you require any other assistance.
      Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
      Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!
      Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
        Dear Malcolm,

Glad to know our support staff could resolve the issue Please feel free to contact us anytime should you require any other assistance.
        Hi Ryan,

Things are even better right now.

Support staff found some packet loss was at my end.

Regarding the main problem of uploading files, stale files, and updated files not showing in a web browser.
        Support found that PHP-FPM was the culprit - they switched it off as a test - and the website is working like dream now - really fast and responsive

Comment

Very sadly the inability to upload .php files never got resolved, and so last week I cancelled the VPS service.

I'm still awaiting to hear from Customer Support. Yesterday when I asked about the Guarenteed 30 Day Refund Policy, they closed the support ticket without answering me.

Not sure where to go next, when using the online ticket support system, I cannot find a way to ask for the refund as the VPS service no longer exists.

Where should I go next, as I have dificulties using phone system?

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Malcolm,

We regret the inconvenience which led to this cancellation. I have checked your cancellation ticket, although the ticket was in closed status we have processed your refund amount today and it shall reflect in your account soon. We request you to acknowledge once its there in your account.
            Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!

Comment

Hi Malcolm,

We regret the inconvenience which led to this cancellation. I have checked your cancellation ticket, although the ticket was in closed status we have processed your refund amount today and it shall reflect in your account soon. We request you to acknowledge once its there in your account.
              Hi Ryan,

Thank you very much for working on this for me.

Yes, the refund payment did arrive in my account on Friday, but its been slow to clear, been three day so far, still waiting, although it was weekend.
              Not sure why its so slow, guess PayPal have their procederes to - they don't explain though.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm1954 View Post

Hi Ryan,

Thank you very much for working on this for me.

Yes, the refund payment did arrive in my account on Friday, but its been slow to clear, been three day so far, still waiting, although it was weekend.
                Not sure why its so slow, guess PayPal have their procederes to - they don't explain though.

The problem could be with the eukhost PayPal account - PayPal thinks it has no Postal Address on file and is unverified

Comment

Hi Malcolm,

We suggest getting in touch with PayPal on this issue as we definitely have a PayPal account with verified address and email on file. Our logs indicate that the refund was processed on the same day i.e. 16th March 2018.

Comment

Hi Malcolm,

We suggest getting in touch with PayPal on this issue as we definitely have a PayPal account with verified address and email on file. Our logs indicate that the refund was processed on the same day i.e. 16th March 2018.
                    Hy Ryan,

Thank you again - your refund is now in my bank account

Your logs are right but something really strange with PayPal and my bank RBS.
                    Yesterday afternoon I checked both and no sign of refund moving or in RBS.
                    I checked both a few minutes ago and RBS now shows that your refund moved to them from my PayPal account on 19th, but I'm wondering why does it take RBS 3 days to show on statement.
                    So much for modern fast banking.

Comment

Working...
                    X