• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock
    replied
    Re: Linux VPS Migration Due To Degraded Hardware

Originally posted by wesocp View Post
    When I say on holiday the following day, I should've said - until the 8th of August (I hope no burglars are reading this) so it's entirely probable that no-one here would be able to do anything about it until then... and there's definitely no phones where I'm going!
    Is it possible to hold onto our data for that long, assuming the hardware doesn't go pop?
    I guess we'll know pretty much right away on Monday anyway, assuming you can squeeze me in on Sunday
    Yes, we'll keep the old hardware running as long as it stays alive & I am pretty sure there wouldn't be any need of reverting back to the old hardware!

Leave a comment:

• wesocp
    replied

When I say on holiday the following day, I should've said - until the 8th of August (I hope no burglars are reading this) so it's entirely probable that no-one here would be able to do anything about it until then... and there's definitely no phones where I'm going!
    Is it possible to hold onto our data for that long, assuming the hardware doesn't go pop?
    I guess we'll know pretty much right away on Monday anyway, assuming you can squeeze me in on Sunday

Leave a comment:

• Rock
    replied

Thanks Sam
    As someone who has cloned & slung Hyper-V VMs, & XenServer PVMs around all day - I figured that would be the case for this too.

If you can do it this Sunday, I will check Monday for everything working.

On the off-chance it isn't, will the old VPS be kept for a period so we can quickly jump back to it?
    Problem is the timing of this - I'm our entire IT dept and will be on holiday the following day. No escaping it!

If it doesn't go smoothly I'd ideally like it to revert back to the version on the dodgy node, and someone keep an eye on it for falling over until I'm back at work when we can try again

Thanks again
    Hi Wes,

Yes, the old VM & the data held there-within will be kept for a certain period of time (as long as the hardware of that host doesn't give in). I hope testing the working of your VM running from the new hardware won't take much long, 2 or 3 days would suffice. In case issues surface, which are taking longer time in getting resolved, we'd be power the old VM up in no time. Please be assured that none of your data will be lost in any case. Let us know if you have any more questions related to this change in hardware of the host server & we'll be happy to answer..

Leave a comment:

• wesocp
    replied

Thanks Sam
    As someone who has cloned & slung Hyper-V VMs, & XenServer PVMs around all day - I figured that would be the case for this too.

If you can do it this Sunday, I will check Monday for everything working.

On the off-chance it isn't, will the old VPS be kept for a period so we can quickly jump back to it?
    Problem is the timing of this - I'm our entire IT dept and will be on holiday the following day. No escaping it!

If it doesn't go smoothly I'd ideally like it to revert back to the version on the dodgy node, and someone keep an eye on it for falling over until I'm back at work when we can try again

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• eukSam
    replied

Ta Rock,

Can someone explain why this would be the case:
    "Unfortunately, it is not possible to keep the same IP now. If we would have receive your update before 2-3 days then we could have keep the same IPs. Unfortunately, there is no enough space available as of now on the Node on whcih we were going to migrate your server to keep the same IPs

However, we can migrate your VPS on the another node as it is which has same virtuozzo platform, but your IP will be changed. In this migration we keep all settings, php version, apche, mysql etc as it is."

If a new VPS is being created for the migration, and new IP addresses are being assigned to it, why is there a limit on what those IPs can be?
    I do find it odd that this "2-3 days" has never been mentioned before, despite multiple replies to the ticket from both sides.

I asked for a project plan - nothing
    I asked why the hardware was apparently irreplaceable - nothing
    I wanted some assurances - not much
    I find out, when I am finally forced to stop doing my regular job and spend hours chasing this instead, that pretty much nothing I've been told thus far can be relied on. Doesn't bode well for not screwing up another migration for me, does it?
    Whenever I find time to take a shot, someone's moved the goalposts!

As far as I'm concerned, if I need to move to another node with another IP - I might as well move to another hosting company at the same time as the support here has gone downhill to such an extent over the last 3 years, that I lose days to what should be an easily fixable problem & the language barrier makes everything that bit more frustrating.
    Hello Wes,

There seems to be some confusion created by the tech dealing with this issue. Your vps migration will be done on same platform keeping same IP's. Only the hardware for the host node will change & this will affect nothing in your vps. In this migration we copy the entire private area of the vps from old node to new node. Then the vps is started on the new node & we confirm that every services are up on the vps on new node & then the IP's are route from old node to new node. The downtime you face in this migration is less than a minute. We will update you with the migration date in the ticket, probably it will be on coming Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• wesocp
    replied

Ta Rock,

Can someone explain why this would be the case:
    "Unfortunately, it is not possible to keep the same IP now. If we would have receive your update before 2-3 days then we could have keep the same IPs. Unfortunately, there is no enough space available as of now on the Node on whcih we were going to migrate your server to keep the same IPs

However, we can migrate your VPS on the another node as it is which has same virtuozzo platform, but your IP will be changed. In this migration we keep all settings, php version, apche, mysql etc as it is."

If a new VPS is being created for the migration, and new IP addresses are being assigned to it, why is there a limit on what those IPs can be?
    I do find it odd that this "2-3 days" has never been mentioned before, despite multiple replies to the ticket from both sides.

I asked for a project plan - nothing
    I asked why the hardware was apparently irreplaceable - nothing
    I wanted some assurances - not much
    I find out, when I am finally forced to stop doing my regular job and spend hours chasing this instead, that pretty much nothing I've been told thus far can be relied on. Doesn't bode well for not screwing up another migration for me, does it?
    Whenever I find time to take a shot, someone's moved the goalposts!

As far as I'm concerned, if I need to move to another node with another IP - I might as well move to another hosting company at the same time as the support here has gone downhill to such an extent over the last 3 years, that I lose days to what should be an easily fixable problem & the language barrier makes everything that bit more frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• Rock
    replied

Hi,
    I'm posting here despite having a ticket open as it seems I have more chance of a reply I can understand.

I'm told that "It has been observed that hardware of the server on which your VPS is hosted has degraded, affecting the server performance"
    Yes, the server seems to be falling over daily. As to why the faulty hardware can't be replaced is anyone's guess, but I'll play along for now.

After saying I'd rather not be forcibly moved to "eNlight Cloud Hypervisor" (as I would need time to test it, I would rather we focus on just keeping our few basic websites online for more than a day) I'm told "If you would like to stay on the current platform then we will migrate your VPS on the another server which is having same platform."
    So yes, this will be the most convenient option as:
    "Yes, you will have same IPs on the another server which is having same platform. So please confirm for the same."
    Will mean no downtime due to DNS nor any SSL problems, and I can worry about having "total control of your resource usage, resulting in excellent performance" when I feel I need to.
    I've already been told I will keep the IPs and then that I won't keep the IPs for the eNlight - so I'm double checking!

So: is this not just a matter of transferring a VM from one server to another rather than a "migration"?
    Since I had a very messy W-VPS migration previously (where a server was backed-up, moved, and then any backups apparently deleted before I'd had chance to verify it worked... which it didn't... and we had to pay a web-dev to fix it at a considerable cost) I'd like to know that it's going to be done well this time.

Can someone please confirm:
    Will the entire VM/VPS be backed-up before making any changes, and keep that backup until the server & sites are confirmed back up and running by me?
    You'll move the entire VM from the node with hardware problems and onto a new node and continue to support it as you do now?
    The platform will stay exactly the same - Firewall settings, PHP, MySQL, Apache, WHM & CPanel versions etc?
    The IP addresses will not change so as to limit our downtime due to DNS propagation & potential SSL cert issues.
    If the VPS is only being moved, I would expect all settings, permissions & customisations to be exactly the same on the new node, yes?
    Proposed after-hours time & date of the migration so I can warn my bosses to expect downtime and I can take the shops offline for a period so we don't lose any orders.

Thanks for any help
    Hi! I've asked one of our technical support staff to answer to your queries..

Leave a comment:

• wesocp
    started a topic Linux VPS Migration Due To Degraded Hardware

Linux VPS Migration Due To Degraded Hardware

Hi,
    I'm posting here despite having a ticket open as it seems I have more chance of a reply I can understand.

I'm told that "It has been observed that hardware of the server on which your VPS is hosted has degraded, affecting the server performance"
    Yes, the server seems to be falling over daily. As to why the faulty hardware can't be replaced is anyone's guess, but I'll play along for now.

After saying I'd rather not be forcibly moved to "eNlight Cloud Hypervisor" (as I would need time to test it, I would rather we focus on just keeping our few basic websites online for more than a day) I'm told "If you would like to stay on the current platform then we will migrate your VPS on the another server which is having same platform."
    So yes, this will be the most convenient option as:
    "Yes, you will have same IPs on the another server which is having same platform. So please confirm for the same."
    Will mean no downtime due to DNS nor any SSL problems, and I can worry about having "total control of your resource usage, resulting in excellent performance" when I feel I need to.
    I've already been told I will keep the IPs and then that I won't keep the IPs for the eNlight - so I'm double checking!

So: is this not just a matter of transferring a VM from one server to another rather than a "migration"?
    Since I had a very messy W-VPS migration previously (where a server was backed-up, moved, and then any backups apparently deleted before I'd had chance to verify it worked... which it didn't... and we had to pay a web-dev to fix it at a considerable cost) I'd like to know that it's going to be done well this time.

Can someone please confirm:
    Will the entire VM/VPS be backed-up before making any changes, and keep that backup until the server & sites are confirmed back up and running by me?
    You'll move the entire VM from the node with hardware problems and onto a new node and continue to support it as you do now?
    The platform will stay exactly the same - Firewall settings, PHP, MySQL, Apache, WHM & CPanel versions etc?
    The IP addresses will not change so as to limit our downtime due to DNS propagation & potential SSL cert issues.
    If the VPS is only being moved, I would expect all settings, permissions & customisations to be exactly the same on the new node, yes?
    Proposed after-hours time & date of the migration so I can warn my bosses to expect downtime and I can take the shops offline for a period so we don't lose any orders.

Thanks for any help
Working...
X