Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Auto Scaling?

Hi there,

I was looking at your VPS plans, came across a feature called Auto Scaling. Can someone please tell me how does it work? Also I would like to know the cost for the same.

Thank you all in advance.

Re: What is Auto Scaling?

Originally posted by Graham_Pryce View Post
    Hi there,

I was looking at your VPS plans, came across a feature called Auto Scaling. Can someone please tell me how does it work? Also I would like to know the cost for the same.

Thank you all in advance.
    Auto-scaling is a way to automatically scale up or down the number of resources, hardware or compute, that are being allocated to your server or application based on its needs at any given time & on-demand.

It was very difficult to scale a website in the old days, let alone figure out a way to automatically scale (autoscale) a server setup. In a traditional, dedicated hosting environment, you are limited by your hardware resources. Once those server resources are maxed out, your site will inevitably suffer from a performance perspective & possibly crash, thereby causing you to lose data and/or potential business.
    Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Follow eUKhost on Twitter || Join eUKhost Community on Facebook

Comment

Graham – are you looking for a horizontal scaling or vertical scaling? As per my knowledge, horizontal scaling refers to adding more virtual servers with a pre-defined configuration (CPU, RAM and Disk Space) and vertical scaling means automatically scaling resources as per the requirements.

@Rock

And if I am not mistaken then only PAAS model offer vertical scaling and IAAS model offers horizontal scaling. Correct if I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Irene9001 View Post
        And if I am not mistaken then only PAAS model offer vertical scaling and IAAS model offers horizontal scaling. Correct if I am wrong.
        Correct! Horizantal scaling (scale out, IAAS) is like adding physical machines/servers to the farm, while Vertical scaling (scale up, PAAS) is adding more hardware resources on the same server, like CPU, RAM, etc.
        Rock _a.k.a._ Jack Daniel

Comment

Hi thank you for your detailed responses.

This means you offer vertical scaling with your VPS, automatically scaling resources as per the requirements, that is what I wanted to know.

Thank you, I got to learn about the horizontal scaling as well

Would you be kind to help me with the cost for Auto Scaling for your vLite VPS?

Awaiting response...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_Pryce View Post
            Hi thank you for your detailed responses.

This means you offer vertical scaling with your VPS, automatically scaling resources as per the requirements, that is what I wanted to know.

Thank you, I got to learn about the horizontal scaling as well

Would you be kind to help me with the cost for Auto Scaling for your vLite VPS?

Awaiting response...
            Hello Graham,

Due to some technical difficulties and limitations, we have discontinue auto scaling feature on our vLite VPS offering. To compensate for this, we have increased the fixed resources on all vLite VPS plans keeping the costs same.

Besides, if auto scaling feature is a must for you, you are most welcome to try our eNlight Cloud which is our flagship Cloud solution and features real time auto scaling and pay-as-you-go payment model. Unlike other Cloud or Private Server solutions, you only pay for resources actually used and not for the resources allocated.

Please feel free to post if you have any further questions.
            Wordpress Hosting - Your Adventure, Your Story!
            Website Security Bundle - Great Value Security Solutions in value-for-money package!

Comment

Hi,

Cloud computing has made it possible to customize usage based on need. This is known as scalable hosting.

The service doesn’t care what interface is calling, which database the data requested is located or what server it runs on. This independence is the root of auto-scaling. Scaling can be accomplished vertically within a network by adding additional resources to an existing server like memory, disk or processors. Because the cloud is virtual, resources can be distributed immediately and much more efficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by richardbardley View Post
                Hi,

Cloud computing has made it possible to customize usage based on need. This is known as scalable hosting.

The service doesn’t care what interface is calling, which database the data requested is located or what server it runs on. This independence is the root of auto-scaling. Scaling can be accomplished vertically within a network by adding additional resources to an existing server like memory, disk or processors. Because the cloud is virtual, resources can be distributed immediately and much more efficiently.
                Crawl before you talk! Your reply exactly came from togglebox.com/blog. “How does Auto-Scaling Work When Hosting a Website? Cloud computing 101” article published by Matt Ayres on Jul 30, 2014. At least give him some credit for his work.

Comment

Working...
                X